1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A Few Questions Before I Buy a New Phone

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by aj8600, Jun 10, 2012.

1. aj8600

aj8600 New Member

I am about to purchase a new phone quite soon. I am leaning heavily towards the Nexus because of the root community support and development, along with the google-flagship-updates-first thing. What i am here to ask is this: is there/will there be enough dev support to change my mind? the battery life is already making a good case for the Maxx but im just not sure if its enough to change my mind. Can anyone that owns either or both Nexus or Maxx let me know what you thought?

thanks in advance,
    AJ
  2. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

Hard to say with the inc3 and sg3 right around the corner :-(.
  3. aj8600

aj8600 New Member

true... but i still think the maxx or nexus will be a better choice and bring more to the table
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Well the MAXX has it hands down for battery life, but I'm not going to say any phone is better than any other in all aspects. It's what fits your personal needs that matters most.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
  5. Caesars

I see your logic with the maxx because of the battery life, I don't see what the GN does that the sg3 won't do faster. I haven't used e GN but it's not being updated by google like it was supposed to be (it started that way but google basically dumped the CDMA GN phones from that whole marketing idea). So now it's just a stock ics phone that Verizon takes forever to update (not in a bad way though, I'd love pure ics on my maxx lol).

I guess I'm just stubborn though, I see zero reason to pay200 for a GN when the sg3 is the same price and blows the GN out of the water. HOWEVER I hardly ever root and modify my phones so who knows :-( its one of those times when Time will Tell hehe. It's hard to say if htc inc3 will get community love or if everyone will flock to the sg3.
  6. aj8600

aj8600 New Member

i think in the end the dev support will win me over, i just wish the max had it :'(
  7. Caesars

Aye, the great thing is the GN should be dropping price as you will be in the minority, you can always toss on a Seidio extended battery and probably still be under what the sg3 will cost you.
  8. aj8600

aj8600 New Member

i have heard stuff about the sg3 being looked at to dev for. so i might hold out for that. BUT OH MY GOD my d1 (and it pains me to say this) is becoming so frustratingly slow i am about to throw it in a busy street
  9. mysticalmalissa

mysticalmalissa New Member

I used to have the GNex. It is my least favorite phone since I started out with the original Droid.

If you want to be able to make calls and actually talk more then 3 mins before the call drops, go with the Maxx.
    If you want your battery to last longer then 4 hours, go with the Maxx.
    If you want a phone that wont reboot when ever it feels like it, go with the Maxx.
    If you want to take a halfway decent picture, go with the Maxx.

Good luck with which ever one you choose. =)
  10. Caesars

I can't say for sure, but if I was in your situation I'd probably break down for a sg3. Of it doesn't work out you can always sell it and buy a GN. Unless the sg3 has terrible resale value for some reason.
  11. mbell75

mbell75 New Member

Well I will never own another Samsung again. Owned 3 and all of them had awful radios and wifi signal problems. The Maxx has the superior build quality, radios, larger display, better speakerphone and earpiece and a much better battery. If you are one of those people who feel the need to flash a new ROM to your phone ever other day, get the GN. If you want the better phone of the two, get the Maxx.
  12. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

If the longer battery life on the Maxx hasn't already swayed your decision, and you are looking for strong developer support then I don't think the Maxx has anything else compelling to offer you over the Nexus or SG3. Yeah, because of the entire CDMA radio the Nexus on Verizon doesn't get updates quite as fast as on the other vendors, but I have a feeling you will be rooted in day 1 so that isn't an issue either. And Google has never dropped support for Verizon's Nexus like someone else has said. Actually they just released the latest 4.0.4 images available for download off heir servers about a week and half ago (give or take). They just have to send their final builds to Verizon so that they can add in all CDMA closed source stuff. This is what holds back the updates on Verizon as then Verizon has to test the build out again and so on. Again, if rooted then it's a non issue but I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression in here thinking that Google isn't in the mix at all..
  13. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm am advocate of developer support, and certainly the unlocked bootloader makes the GN and other unlocked phones very appealing from that perspective. What anyone needs to keep in mind when making a choice between a phone that performs well in its locked state and either meets or exceeds in certain realms (such as call quality and radio performance, build quality, battery life, etc. ), and one which gives you the ability to completely rewrite the OS to address some shortcomings, but also meets or exceeds expectations in certain realms (such as screen, camera, etc. ) is whether you want a phone that will constantly evolve as you flash and reflash, or one that remains relatively constant. You can still change much of what is the user experience in the RAZR MAXX, but you are stuck with the kernel that is pushed out from Moto/Verizon.

I have played with flashing roms on the OG Droid (though its not fair to compare it with the GN), but there's something to be said for a phone that works well out of the box. YOMV

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
  14. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

When looking at the Galaxy Nexus versus the MAXX, those are my thoughts exactly.

If developer support is a deciding factor, although I'd be extremely leery do to my poor experience with Samsung Android phones on Verizon (I've had the Fascinate, Charge, Stratosphere, and Galaxy Nexus), I'd lean towards the SIII myself. The hardware will outclass the Galaxy Nexus, and the developer support will be there for some great roms.
  15. aj8600

aj8600 New Member

when is the SG3 coming out?
  16. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I don't think there's a hard and fast release date, but it seems that it will be the end of June or the beginning of July.
  17. mbell75

mbell75 New Member

You do realize the SIII is also a Samsung phone correct? How can you say you would be extremely leery of a Samsung Android phone on Verizon and then say you want an SIII right after?
  18. aj8600

aj8600 New Member

good stuff, thats when i was looking to make my purchase

probably gonna come with a $299 pricetag?
  19. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

And phone that works right out of the box... Well my Nexus has worked right out of the box like a champ lol... rooting it just lets me add in all extra functionality and tweak to my heart's content that NO Android phone lets you do right out of the box. I would probably be almost as happy using a Maxx as a Nexus. Both are solid phones. I'm sure I can do anything on the Maxx that I can on the Nexus and vice versa. Although there are a LOT of nice kernels out for the Nexus with a lot more tweaks in them then what I was used to one the OG Droid. I would miss that. I also really like the SG3 but it's not bringing anything interesting into play for anybody already on a Maxx or Nexus. After using the Nexus since January's I'm also a bit put off by any phone with hard keys. Being able to mod those keys around is a huge plus compared to being locked in with your choices. The Qinara is sporting soft keys if you want to go the RAZR route... And I have a suspicion that the HD is going to mimic that phone a lot. Speculation at this point :)
  20. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Ha, ha. Of course I know that.

You kind of have to read the entire sentence, especially the first part that you left out of the quote. That "although" bridging the two that you also left out is pretty important too. ;)

So, in other words, if having developer support is extremely important to a person, even though I would have some reservations because of previous experience, I recommend checking out the SIII. If I suddenly got the urge to start flashing roms every other day again, even with my previous experiences with Samsung devices on Verizon, I would still lean towards checking out the SIII because it's likely to have the best combination of hardware and support for the near future.