A few questions about the Droid

struong57

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I plan on getting a Droid this weekend but have some questions/concerns prior to switching over.

I am currently on an Omnia smartphone running WinMo 6.1, and want to know if all my contacts, calendar, and tasks will transfer over to my new Droid OTA? I know the Droid is compatible with Exchange server, but is it fully compatible with Activesync?

Also, I get a lot of emails with MS Word documents attached and want to know if I will be able to open and at least view these attachments? I don't believe the Droid has MS Office.

Lastly, I have been reading a lot of complaints about the Droid's battery cover slipping off when the phone is placed in your pants pocket. Is this a global problem or just a few defective phones? If you've had this problem, what have you done to rectify it?

Thanks in advance.

monkeygerm

Reaction score
Can't help with the first question, but to remedy the battery cover first don't take it off unless you have to. Mine was so hard to get off the first time and then started coming off in my pocket. simple fix is to bend the little metal tabs outward or inward a little bit. Hasn't come off since.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
heres another solution for the battery door... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/2740-quick-fix-loose-battery-door.html

for word documents you can use a program call docs2go which is free but you can only read the documents you cant edit or create them.... there is also a pay version of the program which i believe is 14 bucks and that allows you to read/edit/create any office document.

personally i havent tried this out because i dont use exchange or active sync but the droid is compatible with both and will pull all info from active sync contact/email/calendar

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not sure about activesync...but you should be able to export your contacts and such to a file that google can import. I used yahoo addy book before moving to this phone. I exported to an excel file and it synced easily with the phone.

Droid has open office and will open word attachments.

My battery cover has never fallen off.

OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all your input.

However, I went to the Verizon store yesterday and inquired about the Word documents and they told me the Droid could not open such attachments unless I purchased a very expensive MS Office app for Android. Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed when I heard this and decided I could not get a Droid because it wasn't cost effective. I then spent the $$$ I had set aside for my Droid upgrade and today I read these replies to my post. :(

Sounds like the Droid pretty much has an app for EVERYTHING.