1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A few questions about switching Rom's

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Razr, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Razr

Razr New Member

Rooted droid, running BB v5 (3-4-10) (cant find thread to link to anymore), sbrecovery, nandroid backup.

Im thinking i want to try a few different rom's out. I also have setcpu, wireless tether, and one of chevy's kernels loaded.

Question 1: DO i just grab another rom and do the update.zip method?
    Q2: will i need to reload those apps (ie, lose them)?
    Q3: will i need to reload chevy kernel?

I seemed to have been able to get it rooted and loaded the first time but would just like to be more comfortable this time around.
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I believe that the thread was accidentally deleted. Now that you have installed a 2.1 Rom you can install other 2.1 Roms by using the update.zip method which will not require you to reload you apps. Reloading Chevy's OC kernel depends on which Rom you install. Check the site of the developers Rom you install to determine what kernel is included then decide if you need to use one of Chevy's.

Mike
  3. Razr

Razr New Member

Do I need to make another nandroid backup? Also, will I lose setcpu, tether app, etc?
  4. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

Just one mans opinion. YMMV and others will disagree.
    See below in blue....

Best of luck !!!
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Anytime you make a change you should make a nandroid backup that you can use to recover, should something go wrong, or if you decide you like the previous Rom better than what you just installed.

I think most of the new BB roms are being released with stock 550 CPU so if you install a new BB then you would need to reload. Yesterday, I installed one of Chevy's kernel in just a few minutes. It took me less that 10 minutes to reset the OC with setCPU and reactivate the tether.

Here is a link (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html) the what I consider the most comprehensive process on rooting, installing/switching Roms, OC, tethering, etc. You can find answers to most of your questions and it is an excellent reference.

Mike