a few questions about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tiggerxplur, Feb 16, 2010.

1. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

im new to the android community i just got a moto droid almost 2 months ago and i read about rooting the phone before i got it but found out it voids warranty (should have assumed that in the first place) but i just read you can put the stock rom on it after rooting and it would be back to normal and would be able to send it in if something goes wrong what i would like to know is what are the pros and cons to rooting i know about overclocking and tethering but i dont care to much to tether but would like to overclock if some one could give me a list of pros and cons that would be great and also be able to tell me if you can return your phone to normal
  2. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

it's all up to you... as for your questions, you pretty much answered them yourself

1. Can it be put back to stock? YES
    2. Does it void the warranty? YES

Pro's and Con's are a personal thing that only you can answer.

for me there is no con, everything is a pro with rooting and custom roms.
  3. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

if tyou able to go back to stock that wouldnt void the warranty right??

and i meant cons as in bugs or certain things not working and also what all can you do with a rooted phone

(edit) would also like to know how much more battery is drained if you overclock(edit)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Yea there is a way to go back to COMPLETELY stock that should not void your warranty..
  5. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

thank you is there a thread or a guide that is noob friendly??
  6. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Well there are a couple different ways but I would suggest starting with the search and see what you come up with, then if you cant find it or understand it then I can help ya out. Search "back to stock". =)
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Technically the moment you do it, it voids your warranty. Basically putting it back to stock hides the fact that you voided the warranty.

So technically, if you were to ever say, screw up your phone and couldn't get it back to stock for whatever reason...they could not replace it under warranty.

However, the chances of that happening are like .01% if that. I don't think we've seen a single person here that has ruined their phone based solely on modding their phone, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  8. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Tigger there's lots of guides in here you can use. Matt has a few great guides in his signature that educate you along the way...or if you feel you've educated yourself enough there's the sholesmod app in the market. It's easy to use but you need to understand what you are doing and not just dl it blindly :D good luck!
  9. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

aside from technically voiding your warranty there arent really any cons, its not like rooting is gonna make your phone buggy or laggy, actually probably the opposite, you dont have to have a custom rom in order to have the advantages of rooting, i ran the stock rom for quite some time with tethering and overclocking

if you are seriously considering rooting then i would recommend you look at this Installation | Sholes , it should get you up and running on a rooted droid, it wont install any rooted features other than SPRecovery but that is by far the first thing you need to do anyways

from there you can do lost of different things, there are various tutorials and guides on this site that install applications or Roms or themes, and also like corinacakes mentioned there is also SholesModUpdater that can pretty much do most things for you
  10. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

does anyone have the update.zip file

this site exceeded its bandwidth and i cant find it anywhere

http://rootyourdroid.info/files/update.zip

it would be much appreciated

(edit) i got it all taken care of thanks alot for your help i really appreciate it (edit)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010