A few questions about FROYO

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by anchellada, Dec 7, 2010.

1. anchellada

anchellada New Member

I got a used moto droid off ebay about 2 months ago after having a palm pre plus for just over a month before dropping it in the toilet. I tried to read up on it, but I'm still really confused about this whole froyo update. How do I know if I have it? Of course I did have to go to verizon to get the phone activiated, so I would assume they would have updated if it needed it right? I also don't know what all this "rooted" nonsense is and I'm too afraid of screwing up my phone to try it.

I'm asking this mostly because I want to move apps onto my SD card but I can't figure it out. I googled for hours and the only instructions I could find on doing that said there was a "move to SD card" option. I am not seeing this on my droid which started to make me think I might not have froyo like I thought? I don't knowwww. Help please!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Go in to settings and about phone. If the android version says 2.2 then you have froyo. To move apps to sd you have to go to settings and then apps and then manage applications. Find the app you want to move to the sd card and open its management screen. Not all apps can be moved but if they can there will be a button to do so.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  3. anchellada

anchellada New Member

Ok...so I guess I don't have it. Firmware version says 2.1 but when I go to system updates, it says my device is up to date. Do I get froyo somewhere else?

4. spaz33g

No you should get it from the updates section. When did you say you got the phone?

5. spaz33g

Two months ago lol should have read better

Do you know anything about the state of the phone? Was it moddifyed at all? You should have the update already and if not it should come up when you search for updates.

6. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Are you running a stock ROM? If not, you'll want to update. If you are running stock then you'll have to update manually. I can provide instructions and the file. Then you should receive an update notice from Verizon within the next two weeks or so for another update; you'll want to accept that.
  7. anchellada

anchellada New Member

I think I am running stock. Instructions would be great, furbearingmammal. Thanks in advance!

8. furbearingmammal

Very easy way to tell if you're stock or rooted; First, reboot into recovery (hold down X, power phone up, keep holding X till you boot into recovery). If you get a triangle and an ! then you're stock recovery. Press volume up and camera button at the same time and select reboot phone with the d-pad. If you boot into clockwork recovery or SPRecovery (you won't get the big triangle), then you're rooted.

In the OS, go to the Market, download terminal emulator, and type su then hit enter. If you get a request for super user permissions OR the prompt changes from a $ to a #, then you're rooted.
  9. anchellada

anchellada New Member

im guess i dont have to do this anymore because last night it updated on its own! magic! haha just kidding. but i did think it was odd that it happened not long after posting this...

one thing though-update caused issues. i posted these issues in another update post but ill post it here too-
    it uninstalled market and a few other apps (cant remember exactly what they were, i just know theyre gone because 3 of the icons on my homescreen are now just little green/white blocks and wont open), and volume will only go as low as vibrate.

thats all ive noticed so far since the update. i guess to fix this ill have to do a factory data reset which im really nervous to do :/
  10. furbearingmammal

They vibrate thing has been going on since the first leaked FroYo build. You can set it to vibrate in the sound settings.

Some apps will go missing because they're not FroYo compatible and the Devs stopped working on them. And when you say it uninstalled the Market, do you mean you can't find it on your phone at all?
  11. anchellada

anchellada New Member

oh i see. yes, market is completely gone. when i press where the icon is that used to be the market, it says "could not launch the requested activity." and i even went to manage applications>all and it is nowhere to be found.
  12. furbearingmammal

That's not right. Something really screwed up. Time to do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it then you can take it to Verizon and ask them to fix it, but since it's CSE (customer supplied equipment) they might say it's out of warranty.

Next up is trying that master OTA again to see if it resets the phone. Other things we can do before taking it back to Verizon.
  13. anchellada

anchellada New Member

before i try the factory reset, do i need to back anything up manually? google should save most of the important stuff right?
  14. furbearingmammal

It'll save your contacts IF you have them backed up with Google in your settings.

You will lose anything stored in the phone's internal memory.
  15. anchellada

anchellada New Member

did the factory reset. contacts, photos, music, etc. seems to be there. everything except all the apps i put onto my SD card before i did the reset. theyre all gone so ill have to get by all those levels of angry birds again :( butttt at least i have the android market again! right?
  16. furbearingmammal

You tell me. :)
  17. anchellada

anchellada New Member

Nevermindddd. Half hour later there was a system update and everything came back. Thanks for all the help!