A few Q's about the droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Big Ry, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I got my Droid Wednesday night, and I been playing with it non-stop. However, theres just so much crap packed into this thing, its gonna take me a year to figure it all out. A couple things that have stood out to me...

Can you set seperate notification tones for email vs. SMS/MMS?

Is there a quick way to put the phone on vibrate with the outside keys (i.e. hold the camera key a few seconds)?

Can you delete or hide apps? Theres certain apps I dont want like corporate calendar and messages. I can't seem to figure out how to delete them though.

Can you edit the auto-correct library for typing? It often "fixes" things i dont want it to such as "aw" or "asce" and when ever i type ": )" after a word, it deletes the space after the word as if i were to be actually using the colon like youre supposed to in a sentence...sheesh, what a retarded phoe lol :)

Can you set the wifi to auto-connect and set it to have preference over the carrier signal? also, can you setup networks that use certificates like my school? for my PC i had to download some certificate and do a bunch of other crap just to get it to auto-connect. is that even possible on a droid?

2. bdbraaten

bdbraaten Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll answer what I can
    Yes, there is a notification setting in both apps that are specific to the app. in email its under the account settings, you can set different notifications

Not without rooting your phone

Not sure on the : question. As for the 'aw' and 'asce' type words. If you're using the onscreen keyboard you'll see the word on the left of the line with suggested words on screen. if you long press on the word before hitting spacebar it'll add it to the directory.

Hopefully somebody else can help you with the other questions.

#2 bdbraaten, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  3. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Press the Volume Down button until volume is off, then press the Volume Up button. The first will be Vibrate and then the ringer volume will go up.

4. lokiawse654

lokiawse654 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To change the notifications of each, well, notification, you will want to do it withing each app. It is not done from "Settings" for the phone. For instance, open up messaging then hit the menu key then select settings from there. Likewise for email.

For vibrate, you can turn the ringer volume down all the way until you reach your desired effect. Or maybe find an app that will change the function of the buttons.

You can remove apps from your "desktop" by pressing & holding them until your phone vibrates at which point the little black arrow that shows the other features of the phone turns into a trash bin. This only deletes the shortcut. To remove app from your phone all together, use the app manager in settings.

Not sure about the dictionary question. Try Settings>Language/Keyboard>User Dictionary. I use Swype so I'm guessing this is why I don't have that problem.

WIFI: Settings>Wireless & networks> Wi-Fi settings. Go from there, it should be self explanatory. I believe the Droid uses wifi over 3g when available else what would be the point? Yes you can set it up to auto connect.

5. bdbraaten

bdbraaten Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This only works with apps that were added by the user. For default apps like corporate calendar that was referenced by the o.p. it doesn't give you the option to uninstall them.

6. Mars

Mars Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not unless youre rooted :icon_ banana:

7. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Whats rooted and does it void warranty?

8. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    And thanx everyone for the input

9. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Rooted means you have superuser privileges on your OS, think of it like having administrator privileges on your computer.

Yes, it will void your warranty, but you can always unroot, or go back to stock.

10. Daywalker

Daywalker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooted=hacked
    Yes warranty goes away

11. sik

sik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    UnRoot=stock
    Yes warranty comes back

12. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Ah OK, kinda like loading a vodafone OS on an at&t blackberry : ) imma have to try this. What other awesome things can u do when its rooted?