A few Q's about the droid

Big Ry

Reaction score
I got my Droid Wednesday night, and I been playing with it non-stop. However, theres just so much crap packed into this thing, its gonna take me a year to figure it all out. A couple things that have stood out to me...

Can you set seperate notification tones for email vs. SMS/MMS?

Is there a quick way to put the phone on vibrate with the outside keys (i.e. hold the camera key a few seconds)?

Can you delete or hide apps? Theres certain apps I dont want like corporate calendar and messages. I can't seem to figure out how to delete them though.

Can you edit the auto-correct library for typing? It often "fixes" things i dont want it to such as "aw" or "asce" and when ever i type ": )" after a word, it deletes the space after the word as if i were to be actually using the colon like youre supposed to in a sentence...sheesh, what a retarded phoe lol :)

Can you set the wifi to auto-connect and set it to have preference over the carrier signal? also, can you setup networks that use certificates like my school? for my PC i had to download some certificate and do a bunch of other crap just to get it to auto-connect. is that even possible on a droid?

bdbraaten

Reaction score
I'll answer what I can
Can you set seperate notification tones for email vs. SMS/MMS?

Yes, there is a notification setting in both apps that are specific to the app. in email its under the account settings, you can set different notifications

Can you delete or hide apps? Theres certain apps I dont want like corporate calendar and messages. I can't seem to figure out how to delete them though.

Not without rooting your phone

Can you edit the auto-correct library for typing? It often "fixes" things i dont want it to such as "aw" or "asce" and when ever i type ": )" after a word, it deletes the space after the word as if i were to be actually using the colon like youre supposed to in a sentence...sheesh, what a [Edited by FoxKat for content] phoe lol :)

Not sure on the : question. As for the 'aw' and 'asce' type words. If you're using the onscreen keyboard you'll see the word on the left of the line with suggested words on screen. if you long press on the word before hitting spacebar it'll add it to the directory.

Hopefully somebody else can help you with the other questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a quick way to put the phone on vibrate with the outside keys (i.e. hold the camera key a few seconds)?

Press the Volume Down button until volume is off, then press the Volume Up button. The first will be Vibrate and then the ringer volume will go up.

lokiawse654

Reaction score
To change the notifications of each, well, notification, you will want to do it withing each app. It is not done from "Settings" for the phone. For instance, open up messaging then hit the menu key then select settings from there. Likewise for email.

For vibrate, you can turn the ringer volume down all the way until you reach your desired effect. Or maybe find an app that will change the function of the buttons.

You can remove apps from your "desktop" by pressing & holding them until your phone vibrates at which point the little black arrow that shows the other features of the phone turns into a trash bin. This only deletes the shortcut. To remove app from your phone all together, use the app manager in settings.

Not sure about the dictionary question. Try Settings>Language/Keyboard>User Dictionary. I use Swype so I'm guessing this is why I don't have that problem.

WIFI: Settings>Wireless & networks> Wi-Fi settings. Go from there, it should be self explanatory. I believe the Droid uses wifi over 3g when available else what would be the point? Yes you can set it up to auto connect.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Ah OK, kinda like loading a vodafone OS on an at&t blackberry : ) imma have to try this. What other awesome things can u do when its rooted?

droidilac

Reaction score
when typing aa text and you would like to add a smiley hold the smiley button (on virtual keyboard) or press the menu button click on more and an option comes up saying "insert smiley" either of these 2 options brings up a list of smilies for you to choose from...

jrod1990

Reaction score
Can you edit the auto-correct library for typing? It often "fixes" things i dont want it to such as "aw" or "asce" and when ever i type ": )" after a word, it deletes the space after the word as if i were to be actually using the colon like youre supposed to in a sentence...sheesh, what a [Edited by FoxKat for content] phoe lol :)

From your home screen - Menu - Settings - Language and Keyboard - Android Keyboard ( on-screen keyboard settings listed under it ) - Then click on Quick Fixes ( should remove green check mark ) you can also turn off Auto correct. If you use the slide out key board then hit the back arrow until you see the Device Keyboard ( under the Android Keyboard listing ) and deselect the same options. Hope this helps you!

Last edited by a moderator: