A few frustrating bugs on my Droid4 after the ICS update...any assistance appreciated

CreatureFeature

Reaction score
I was so excited to get the ICS update! It seemed to go pretty flawlessly. After the update, I noticed a few things that just don't make sense:

1) Auto-Suggest for email contacts doesn't work at all, in Gmail App or the standard Email App, at all! It used to give me a choice if I even pressed one letter of a previously used email address, now it never gives me anything, I have it write it out each time.

2) Autocorrect is disabled, yet it continually autocorrects anyway...have no idea why

3) I also loved the Gingerbread text/autocorrect suggestion style, where it would list all the options of the word you were writing, but now only lists three at the max, most of them not relevant. I suppose this is just the way it is, but it seems like a step backwards

4) My Email (set up on POP3) doesn't download consistently any longer. It's now very sporadic and only downloads certain messages at random, where before it would download everything from the last update/check. Worked perfectly before, so I don't see why I would need to use IMAP all of a sudden (which was suggested) just due to an upgrade to ICS when Ginger worked awesome.

Overally, I love ICS and the additional features and interface. Just can't figure out why these features (which unfortunately are very important to my use) would have taken such a turn for the worse.

Any ideas fellow Droiders?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to Droid Forums CreatureFeature! Let's see if we can get to business. First one question... did you happen to do a factory data reset. If not, that helps ensuring that ICS will run smooth.

1. I remember I was frustrated by this when I first made the switch but I no longer have this problem. It could be because that as you send emails, it builds its list of possible things to choose from. The other possibility could be to make sure to have the right set of contacts to display in your people app. Go to the settings in the people app and select "contacts to display"... I use the customize feature because it allows more possibilities.

2. I am not sure because I use the autocorrect feature. You could try clearing data and cache on the Motorola input service under all apps to see if that makes a difference.

3. Try a third party keyboard. I use go keyboard... for now but have used others with a lot of success.

4. Oh boy, this is a tough one because pop email should work fine. I am sure you tried going into settings and set it to pull email more frequently or automatic. If you are using yahoo, I do know that there has been changes to their email which has caused various problems on smart phones.

You are right...there are definitely changes in ICS that makes you wonder what the blank were they thinking but you end up developing your work-arounds that end up working better than what Motorola probably would've done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

GGDroid

Reaction score
RE: Ice Cream Sandwhich (ICS) update renders Blue Tooth (BT) on Droid 4's inoperable. Spent nearly the entire weekend attempting to find a fix or work around for the BT connection between my car and Droid 4 which following the ICS update rendered my BT mute--connection made, but no audio. Following nearly every forum suggestion and taking my phone into several Verizon stores, and sitting on "hold" for over 3 hours (I finally gave up), Verizon Wireless left me by saying, "sorry we can't do anything more". Unbelievable that in this day and age where safety (hands free devices) is a must (and mandatory in several states and Federal lands), I'm left with the latest and greatest Droid (4) without a working BT. This is a basic cell phone service and function. To not have a fix is simply unacceptable. Anyone out there with similar issues?:angry:

Razzorr

Reaction score
Mine has been working fine with my car. I have Ford Sync on a 2011 Fusion. It has on a very few occasions said there is no connection. When it does that I turn off BT on the phone and back on then it is fine.

GGDroid

Reaction score
Sigh... the above post doesn't address the problem:
1. I have a Droid 4, not a RAZR...
2. I never said I don't get a connection... I do get a connection, but no audio
3. Turning off and on BT does NOT fix the problem or even give me a work around....
Can someone please weigh in on this??

Razzorr

Reaction score
LOL
1. I do not have a RAZR I have a Droid4 also and I have ICS on it.
2. I was saying that mine was losing connection.
3. I turned off the Blue Tooth and back on and it worked fine. Thought it mite help if you did the same.

My BT works with everything (Motorola S3 headset, Ford Fusion, ASUS Tablet, OBDII car tool) so it is not just because of ICS.

Now I do not know what kind of car you have so I have to guess along the lines of my Ford's Sync system. Have you made sure that the cars system is not set on private that mutes the sound on the car speakers and puts it back to the handset. I would guess you also made sure mute is not active on the car's system.

Not that: Master reset on the car or also pull the fuse to reset the car's system. I had to do this once early this year. The car one day thought it did not like the phone anymore.

podspi

Reaction score
RE: Ice Cream Sandwhich (ICS) update renders Blue Tooth (BT) on Droid 4's inoperable. Spent nearly the entire weekend attempting to find a fix or work around for the BT connection between my car and Droid 4 which following the ICS update rendered my BT mute--connection made, but no audio. Following nearly every forum suggestion and taking my phone into several Verizon stores, and sitting on "hold" for over 3 hours (I finally gave up), Verizon Wireless left me by saying, "sorry we can't do anything more". Unbelievable that in this day and age where safety (hands free devices) is a must (and mandatory in several states and Federal lands), I'm left with the latest and greatest Droid (4) without a working BT. This is a basic cell phone service and function. To not have a fix is simply unacceptable. Anyone out there with similar issues?:angry:

Have you tried a factory reset? My bluetooth works perfectly with ICS. Just spent an hour on the phone w/ a BT headset yesterday.

If a factory reset does not fix it, send it in for warranty service, because it is a hardware issue.