A Dummies Guide To Android Terminoligy & Lingo

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's another item for you and a suggestion too:

CIFS ...seen its support being part of some of the roms being released.

The suggestion would be to add in a "why or when" you would do one of the definitions listed. I imagine that for most TUN still is over their head and wouldn't know when it came into play.

For example, CIFS stands for the Common Internet File System. It lets programs make requests to computers on the internet for services or files.
It uses TCP/IP but at a level similar to FTP or HTTP and is a protocol just like those two are. What it will let you do is is gain access to files on a remote computer, share files with others similar to how you would access files on a usb or other drive connected to your pc. It also can let you restore connections automatically in case the network goes down for a bit.

I'd expand SBF too to let folks know it is the file used by RSD Lite to flash roms or replace the stock boot-recovery app.

bootloader: flashes a SBF file, not a SDK file.

Thanks again Sam for maintaining this thread. It's gotten over 4,000 views so far!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
<snip>
bootloader: flashes a SBF file, not a SDK file.
<snip>

See post #15. And I am anal, I would only refer to it as a .sbf file, not a SBF file, that way people know that it is the extension of the file and there is not something else 'special' about it.

Just my .02 worth . . .

HankB

Reaction score
Thanks for putting this list together.

Can I add that a .tgz file is simply a .tar file that has been compressed with gzip? In fact, those would ordinarily be named .tar.gz and .tgz is a commonly accepted abbreviation for that (and works well for systems that only handle up to 3 character file name extensions. ;) ) It is used for far more than Slackware installation packages.

You could also describe root as a concept that goes back to Android's Linux heritage. Root is the name of the super user account included on virtually all Linux/Unix systems. A normal user typically has control of their own files and limited access to network resources. A super user (typically root) can modify most things and has full access to network resources.

thanks,
hank

20ducks

Reaction score
Outstanding thread. This is helping me understand the terminology used for this phone. Thanks very much.dancedroid

lave1189

Reaction score
This helps A LOT! Although reading through all those terms made me feel like I was studying for a quiz. Ha ... time for some more learning.

GrinReaper

Reaction score
There was also another thread in here somewhere which talked about what to do when you first got your android phone (launchers, apps, themes etc) I saw it once and I've been looking for it ever since.
Can anybody help me find it?

TIA !! :)

dcook12

Reaction score
If you get a chance, can you add tethering. Rooting and tethering I think were the two most used terms I saw when I got my phone and joined the forum. But the list is great!!!! Thanks!!

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Thanks for the list, new to the modding of my D2 and I am very sure this thread will come in handy.