A Dummies Guide To Android Terminoligy & Lingo

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I may humbly point something out about your "Boot Loader" section. For the droid the extension of the file(s) we've been using with RSD Lite 4.6 is .sbf not .sdk. In the past for the dumbphones is was also .shx.

Looking good Sam!

When you've got folks like teddyearp proofreading and giving the list a once over you can't go wrong:)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thanks christim. Actually I think there's a couple more holes in it, i.e. in the "Stock" section doing a factory reset does NOT revert you back to stock 2.1. Factory reset erases the /data and /cache portions of the phone, it does NOT touch the recovery nor system areas where custom recovery images (CMRecovery/SPRecovery) and the su binary resides respectively.

I'm just trying to help reduce the n00b confusion situation.

good luck

0r!0n R364rd13$$

Reaction score
If I might add something... As a complete "newb" myself, one acronym I see missing, that I am curious about is SDK. I know that it means "Software Development Kit," but is this the same thing as APK? You might address this, if it's valid.

fullthrottle

Reaction score
im gona ask in here instead of starting a new thread can someone point me in the direction of how to use scripts. I tried searching but couldnt find it. Thanks

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
im gona ask in here instead of starting a new thread can someone point me in the direction of how to use scripts. I tried searching but couldnt find it. Thanks

what rom?

noooooooooooooooootttttttttttttt loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggennnnnough

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
usually it is done in Terminal emulator(download from market.)

then type su (super user access )
the you will allow super user permission
then type
SYSRW (system read write access.. which is a custim script of its own)
Then type custom script of your choice we will use GODMODE for an example
GODMODE
then
SYSRO (system read only)

so it would look like this in terminal emulator

SU
SYSRW
GODMODE
SYSRO

hope this helps you may have to reboot after running them you can just type in reboot in terminal emulator and it should work..

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I might add something... As a complete "newb" myself, one acronym I see missing, that I am curious about is SDK. I know that it means "Software Development Kit," but is this the same thing as APK? You might address this, if it's valid.

The first post lists ADK but I think I've heard it referred as the SDK more.

APK is listed as the Android Package file. Think of those as the install files. One EXE in windows can result in multiple other files being installed on your system. For each app there is a single install APK file and that is the file extension too: install_app.apk

ADB is the Android Debug Bridge that comes within the SDK and can be used for altering files. It opens a shell on your computer and allows you to pull and push files to the phone. You'd use that for files that wouldn't be good to change live while the phone is running.

From a request here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/50898-can-someone-make-acronyms-thread.html

kpmoore came up with these:

Types of ROMS:

BB = Bugless Beast
CM = Cyanogen Mod
UD = Ultimate Droid
DE = DarkEdge (not a ROM, I know)

Root-related software:

SPR = SPRecovery
CW = ClockWork Mod
RM = Rom Manager

to which I'd add SG=smoked glass..another rom but also a theme too by Adamz.

I'd also add OC=overclocking to the existing definition of overclocking as lots of people use the abbreviation.

Eddie Haskell

Reaction score
This may seem dumb to some but I see references to "root" in 90% of the threads but no definition in post #1, I would think that would be a required definition but hey what do I know.
I know I don't know what root is but I've only had my Motodroid for 1 day.

OP
Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Reaction score
Root: Common word associated with giving a user "super user" access to their phones programming and other various asspects that would normaly not be possible
straight from page one.

OP
Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Reaction score
hey everyone im sorry i havent been keeping up with the list as well as i should be, ive been VERY busy, but im back for now so keep it coming!

dgonz

Reaction score
Just want to say thanks for this list. I couldn't for the life of me describe what a kernel was. I knew but I had a hard time explaining it to a friend of mine. This is exactly what I was looking for. dancedroid

sessica

Reaction score
yay

Thanks for this list, I have no idea about of a lot of the stuff talked about in these forums, I just want to get the most out of my phone but can't seem to follow fast enough.
I appreciate it cause this gets me started somewhat, haha.

^_^