a desktop dock/charger thread...

Orionalias

Reaction score
So that silly r2-d2 themed droid 2 comes with a desktop dock...but the DI still has nothing in that area!? WTF!?

I know there are some desktop docks out there, but I want one from the manufacturer that turns it into a great desktop piece while it's charging at the same time...just like ever other droid has. Freakin shame.

chetman7

Reaction score
I here ya man...I've been waiting as well. All I can find is somewhat universal docks that you still have to plug in the phone to it. I had a dock for my bb where I would just drop the phone in and it would charge.

Apparently verizon were going to start production on them but they were all recalled and the project was scrapped b/c it did not work properly...I'm subscribed to like 4 different droid forums, so I can't recall the original link.

I am unsure if they are going back to the drawing board. I hope they do.

I still have my fingers crossed for a powermat solution!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2 newer Droid out and numerous shortly behind them? Don't hold our breath waiting for own ones,especially with an extended battery

sent from my Incredible via Tapatalk

schoon

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how they would implement a drop in dock with the plug being on the side, maybe if it was landscape instead of portrait? I'd love to have one and would buy it as I'd like to put it on my nightstand and use it to replace the clock that I have now. Anyway, hopefully the people who make these things are listening and will come out with something soon.

OP
O

Orionalias

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how they would implement a drop in dock with the plug being on the side, maybe if it was landscape instead of portrait? I'd love to have one and would buy it as I'd like to put it on my nightstand and use it to replace the clock that I have now. Anyway, hopefully the people who make these things are listening and will come out with something soon.

Certainly it could be done...thisnis what they did for the droid 1, and it looks great as such. But I to believe it'll never happen unfortunately.

Snacko

Reaction score
I spent hours looking for a DI dock, but there are no mass produced for retail, and I doubt there ever will be considering how quickly new cell phones come out, and that there is no standard power; audio; input/output jack like the iPod, ect.. So, each phone is a custom job and may not be worth manufacturing many accessories.

So, I went looking for cheap and easy alternatives and ended up with this dock:

It's just an Acrylic Business Card Holder from the Container Store for $5.99. I picked up three.
Since the DI does not go into horizontal dock mode automatically anyhow, this works fine as an upright dock.

Snacko

EDIT:
You might also want to check out this thread.

4824658149_c49dbeb902_b.jpg

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score

Most of the droid docks are landscape because of that reason.

Multimedia Station for DROID by Motorola - Overview - Motorola, Inc. USA

This is what I had for my D1 and I really wish there was something like it for the DInc. I don't even care about the portrait/media view, I just want something I can simply plug my phone into, rather than have to plug the charger into the phone.

SeeEss

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how they would implement a drop in dock with the plug being on the side, maybe if it was landscape instead of portrait?

My BB Storm's charging port was on the same side and place as the one on my Droid Incredible. I had a chaarging dock for it, the charger plug stuck out of the side of the cradle. I slipped it in and the clock came up. I think that is the only thing about the BB that I miss.

I, too, cannot believe that there are no stock cradles for the Incredible. :icon_eek:

techinv

Reaction score
Been using this one for about 5 months....

Amazon.com: USB Sync & Charge Cradle (w/ 2nd battery support) for HTC Droid Incredible (w/ OrionGadgets NeckStrap): Cell Phones & Accessories

Works fine with a few caveats (as long as you are using stock battery or
equivalent. If using extended battery, the phone will not slide down in the holder all
the way).

Caveats are this:

1. There is a flashing LED at the back right corner of it that some may find annoying.
  2. I found that if I used the phone while plugged in with the AC adapter from Orion, the phone was very sluggish. So I substituted the one that came inthe box with the phone, and all is well.

And yes, I've used the 2nd battery charger also (with a Seidio battery)
and it worked fine.