A creepy person got ahold of my Droid and is sending commands to it/stalking me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritwater

Reaction score
well, that does help a little more in the confusion department.....

I said "wife" because of your name.

Either way, you can't worry about laying a trap out or anything elaborate like that, all you can do is protect you and yours from it happening to again. You catching this guy is not going to scare this guy straight. You are NOT going to outsmart this guy.... don't even try. And it doesn't sound like he is a that good of a friend to be doing this to you.

GET A RESTRAINING ORDER.... Protect yourself and your kids. This "good friend" may simply be trying to exploit you for sex, or whatever.

It's all speculation, but you know how you stop it..... you use the protection that the law gives you.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikethebike

Reaction score
I can't get a restraining order unless I can show that he is doing something wrong.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Look, I'm a young widow who was married for 10 years and lost my husband to a tragedy! I'm not a guy cheating on my wife! The person whom I think is stalking me has a really good friend who is a computer expert. If he is indeed doing this to me, I feel that I don't deserve it and that he should be punished, before he REALLY steals someone's identity! I don't have schizophrenia! I just don't have time to study how to hack a droid, etc. and keep up with an expert! I have a full-time job (I am a professional, by the way) and little kids. I thought that some of you, who may spend all day on the computer, or may have computer science degrees could help me.

Calm down there Miss, no need to get so hostile. Although we are honestly trying to help, you do leave out alot of details that leads to conspiracies.

Anyway, if you believe this person is stalking you confront them about it. If they're not then you've already got your new device and can possibly get a new phone number as well.

Let me educate you a bit: Android is based on an operating system that is pretty hard to hack, much like Apple's operating system. These systems are much more complex than say Windows. Android has been out for quite some time now and the only hacking i heard of this device was through an app, and believe me word spreads fast around here when something like that comes up.

I highly doubt this person would have the resources to hack an android device. If they did, you've taken the right steps and got a new phone and I think you should also get a new phone number for good measure. The hardware itself, these phones are not touched by anyone other than Motorola. Unless this person works at Motorola and knows which phone you will be receiving, i can say it's close to impossible that there is some sort of tracking device on it.

I know you're feeling uneasy and possibly a bit violated, but it wouldn't be a virus in the phone. Yes there are apps out there that allow for tracking but if you do a factory reset then you reset the phone therefore taking the app out.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I really am. I do apologize for summarizing your situation in an insensitive way, but really you did leave out alot of detail. Your situation seems to be beyond the help of this forum, but if there is anything we can do to help you with your phone then please drop in and ask. I hope for your safety and the safety of your kids that you get this resolved. I've never experienced anything like this before, but just thinking about it gives me the creeps, contact some family members or even local PD to get some help if you feel you are being stalked. I know patrol units can roll by your residence every couple hours just to help keep that peace of mind and for any suspicious activity.

Gritwater

Reaction score
I can't get a restraining order unless I can show that he is doing something wrong.

says who???? If you say you feel threatened, BAM, restraining order. At the first step, the COPS will at least knock on this guy's door. I don't think YOU need to go and confront this guy. Use the law that is designed to protect you, do it. Women get the benifit of the doubt when it comes to restraining orders....

Let me ask, do you have ANY doubt it's this "good friend" doing this to you? It's like a cheating spouse, you don't have to catch them in the sack to "PROVE" they were cheating. Those sort of confrontations make for good reality TV, but real life says, if you think you are being stalked, or cyber-stalked, the police are the ones to confront. I would also say, if you haven't done so already, you should cut this guy out of your life completely

Last edited:
OP
M

mikethebike

Reaction score
Thank you for the help and a better understanding.

I love Apple computers very much and have been looking into converting my 4 year old's PC from Windows to Android. I love my Android phone so much, and since I have Verizon, wasn't able to get an iPhone without switching companies. I am very impressed with the Android system. I can see how it can be compared to Apple in some ways. I just do not like Windows at all! I worked with Windows until about 6 years ago when I got an iBook. Since then, I've stuck with Apple.

I bought my son an HP mini 1 1/2 years ago because it was more affordable than an Apple, but I regret it. I do not like Windows!

I am calling a detective back from the PD today and will tell him, what I feel has been going on.

I haven't turned on my new phone yet, and no, I am not afraid to use my new phone because of this guy. I know that the new phone will work fine! I do feel that he manipulated my Droid in some way, though, regardless of the firewall! I do not want to explain all of that because it will consume more of my time.

I thank all of you for your help.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If you don't have a microSD with your new phone you can buy a new one for under $20 if it'll make you feel better. When you restart your new phone any programs that were installed on your old phone won't affect the new one. Then you can take the old microSD to the police and call it a day. Change your phone number and start a fresh Google account and assign that to your new phone too. You should be free of any tampering.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thank you for the help and a better understanding.

I love Apple computers very much and have been looking into converting my 4 year old's PC from Windows to Android. I love my Android phone so much, and since I have Verizon, wasn't able to get an iPhone without switching companies. I am very impressed with the Android system. I can see how it can be compared to Apple in some ways. I just do not like Windows at all! I worked with Windows until about 6 years ago when I got an iBook. Since then, I've stuck with Apple.

I bought my son an HP mini 1 1/2 years ago because it was more affordable than an Apple, but I regret it. I do not like Windows!

I am calling a detective back from the PD today and will tell him, what I feel has been going on.

I haven't turned on my new phone yet, and no, I am not afraid to use my new phone because of this guy. I know that the new phone will work fine! I do feel that he manipulated my Droid in some way, though, regardless of the firewall! I do not want to explain all of that because it will consume more of my time.

I thank all of you for your help.

No problem at all.

As I was saying that news about viruses spread fast, here's an article that just popped up on this forum about 3 minutes ago: The Official Lookout Blog | Security Alert: Geinimi, Sophisticated New Android Trojan Found in Wild

Please read that article and be aware of what is out there.

However, if you are still being stalked I would confront the person. It is a good idea to contact local PD for the safety of yourself and your family. Since you haven't started up your new phone then i suggest you just get a new number, yes it'll be a pain to tell everyone you got a new number, but that's a good first step to dodging this stalker imo.

Hope all turns out well!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Change your phone number(free if you tell them you are being harassed)and have Verizon block texts and calls from that person.611 can do all of that for you. Install Avast on your home computer too . Its free and will keep him out of your desktop.
You've got a new phone. Any apps your "friend" suggested do not put back on.
Yes I've seen these ego maniacs get into peoples network thru their wifi and have a friend whos soon to be X got into the family network(she moved back in with her parents) from outside the home and would manipulate their computers just for kicks. He would delete their email as it was being read or would literally start adding to it as they were reading it , change their passwords, etc from outside their home. I don't know where y'all hail from but Chesterfield Virginia cops said they didn't have enough evidence for a restraining order since they couldn't prove he was the one doing the hacking. Avast finally stopped it.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

Gritwater

Reaction score
dezy - I know it's just your personal opinion and all, and I won't knock it, but I really don't think SHE needs to confront this guy, JMHO. Unless she's trying to salvage the relationship someway... not sure I think she should, but that's her call.

If she's ready to pull the plug though, I think she needs to let the cops confront him. He won't try to manipulate the cops, or make them feel guilty, or whatever. If he is indeed stalking her, he's dangerous because you don't know what they are capable of *cough*John Hinkley*cough*

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
dezy - I know it's just your personal opinion and all, and I won't knock it, but I really don't think SHE needs to confront this guy, JMHO. Unless she's trying to salvage the relationship someway... not sure I think she should, but that's her call.

If she's ready to pull the plug though, I think she needs to let the cops confront him. He won't try to manipulate the cops, or make them feel guilty, or whatever. If he is indeed stalking her, he's dangerous because you don't know what they are capable of *cough*John Hinkley*cough*

I was just talking as how I would handle it, unless this other person is absolutely crazy...

But back onto topic...she's going about this the right way, after some clarification. Not telling her how to approach it, just some suggestions I think she should take. She is taking the right steps and should have her new phone activated in no time I hope.

Agreed, no one is absolutely sure what anyone is capable of, which is why I told her to contact the local PD.

I feel this thread might get off topic due to her situation, and I don't think the TS feels comfortable with us making up scenarios about her situation.

Not a mod, but let's try to keep it concentrated to the phone everyone, out of respect for TS.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
well, I just don't think it's how a mother should handle it...

Good point, I am not a mother and it'd be biologically impossible for me =P

However, she is taking the right steps and i'm glad this forum helped her solve her phone issue. Hopefully she can get her new Droid activated with a new number and begin to enjoy it even more than she does already.

pyro6128

Reaction score
If the person got access to your old phone they could have easily installed software that can alert them of what you do and allow them to view/control your phone. The software is only like $30 anyway. You def need to contact the police (which you've done) and keep on doing things through them. Maybe, if they need evidence for a restraining order, they have someone or know someone with the technical knowledge to look at the phone and determine if a program was installed and who was able to access it. If not, then maybe you could look into some tech security companies, or freelance people that would be able to check it out for you (if you're really set on catching the person).

Your new phone is fine, but you should probably scan your sd card for malicious software, or have someone with more knowhow do it for you. You could avoid this by just reformatting it, but then you'll lose everything on it. You could copy all of the files you want to keep onto your comp, then reformat it, then move everything back to the card.

But make sure that you protect yourself and your kids from this creep, and use the law. I honestly cannot stand guys trying to take advantage of women in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.