A couple specific questions.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jim 777, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Hope this isn't too repetitive.

1. If I do a nandroid advanced back up, then install a new ROM, if I ever decide to go back to the previous ROM via a restore, will it work? (meaning will the first ROM be back and functioning?)
    2. The Bugless has gotten a little buggy and want to try the DroidMod v1.0.
      • I can't find where to download the ROM, I know I've seen it somewhere
      • Same installation as I did for the BB 1.1?
      • Does Droidmod come with Busybox as well?
      • Can I still use the kernels and themes listed below?
      • Does it have live wallpapers? (this one is not a deciding factor)

Thanks. I really like the set up I have now, but the phone was freaking FC'ing stuff I wasn't using and I read that the DroidMod is a bit more stable. I'd like to maintain the same functionality.

2. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    1) yes...you do a backup and that's what you recover...data, os, apps.

2) download their app, dmupdater, and just click and go (is my understanding)
    http://droidmod.org/ info on their homepage as far as features...ie: live wallpapers = yes

With any rom, find the thread and follow the specific directions for it. For Droidmod I understand it is just click and go...very simple.

3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +28
    When I ran the DMUpdater, it asked me "your recover image needs to be updated. Continuing will void your warranty!" I click "I understand the risk."

Then it says, "Are you really, really sure? This definitely will void your warranty and probably will break your recovery mode."
    Now I'm nervous because I'm not sure what it's saying, so I quit.

What's it saying? Will it "break" my nandroid backups? Some thing worse?

4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I assume it is going to install SPRecovery, and get rid of the original recovery. Never used DM though to say for a fact what it is doing, just kinda guessing here.

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love how when people are typing in commands they read on a forum having no idea what the commands are doing, they are perfectly fine, but when a dialog box comes up to tell them the risks, it scares them away. I'm glad that app has those dialogs, though - people should have that last minute "maybe this isn't such a great idea" feeling when they are getting into this, so that they really take it seriously.

Chances are, it's updating your SP Recovery Image from 0.99.2b to 0.99.3b. It's not going to invalidate your nandroid backups, or anything, it's just bumping up to the current version so that it can auto-install the rom for you (new feature in 0.99.3b). If you're worried about it, make a copy of your nandroid backups from the SD card to a computer or something.

6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Actually I preferred to do it through the commands. Even though I don't know all the individual commands, having spent much time coding in different languages I was able to see pretty much what I was doing in each step. It's the automated way that doesn't show you what's going on.

You're probably right about the updating to 0.99.3b though because I already had it, it may have just over written it. SPRecovery is still there and all back ups are there too.