A couple root questions

Ajmazin

Reaction score
I permanently rooted my droid x yesterday using Z4 root and I have a couple questions about what I should do next.

1. If I dont intend to use custom ROMs, should I still get bootstrap? Without bootstrap, will my phone brick or crash when manually rebooting/ turning on/off?

2. If I buy/download root only apps, will Verizon care when I eventually bring my phone in for an upgrade or if there is a problem? (Granted I would obviously unroot the phone before bringing it in)

3. When the next over air update for droid x is released, will I be forced to update and lose root or will it refuse to update? What occurs?

Thanks!! :)

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
I permanently rooted my droid x yesterday using Z4 root and I have a couple questions about what I should do next.

1. If I dont intend to use custom ROMs, should I still get bootstrap? Without bootstrap, will my phone brick or crash when manually rebooting/ turning on/off?

2. If I buy/download root only apps, will Verizon care when I eventually bring my phone in for an upgrade or if there is a problem? (Granted I would obviously unroot the phone before bringing it in)

3. When the next over air update for droid x is released, will I be forced to update and lose root or will it refuse to update? What occurs?

Thanks!! :)

1.) You should absolutely get DX bootstrapped even if you don't intend to run custom roms. It will make it much easier to update when the time comes if you have a stock backup. I also bet after a couple weeks you will change your mind anyways and be running custom roms.

2.) If there was a problem with your phone you could always restore your stock backup and remove any apps you feel necessary before you bring it in. Again DX bootstrapped is recommended.

3.) You do not have to update if you don't want to although it would be a good idea to when the time comes. Yes, you will lose root but it is not that difficult to re-root. Again you would probably have to restore your stock backup so download DX bootstrapper and make a nandroid backup ASAP.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
A

Ajmazin

Reaction score
Agreed! However I don't think it'll be able to help me now. I unrooted my phone just to test and it won't let me reroot it using Z4. It gets stuck on the circle now even with rebooting ha