A couple questions, ramblings etc.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Coots, May 2, 2010.

1. Coots

Coots New Member

Alright guys, been rooted for a few days now, got JRummy Remix installed, everything works good. Few things here and there, nothing to complain about. So I've got a couple general questions, etc.

So here we go...

1. Overclocking - I've been reading about overclocking on the boards here etc. Some like it, some can't see a difference, so what is the REAL deal on this? Has anyone done any actual benchmarks to test it out? Just kinda curious if I should pay the $2 or whatever and get setcpu and overclock the phone.

2. Now that I am rooted, I've been thinking... I installed JRummy's Remix, what if I wanted to move to another ROM, if I get tired of this one? What is the easiest way to backup all the apps on my phone, still get the updates etc. It was a pain re-installing the ~90 apps I had downloaded.

3. SD Card - If / when I go about swapping ROM's again. I think I'd prefer to just do the clear cache, clear everything way. Just to make sure everything worked fine. My question is, is it ok to format the SD card completely? There is stuff on there that I have no idea what it is... I mean, of course I'd pull my pics off before etc. but things from old programs I've d/l that look like they made backsup etc.

I really appreciate everyones input, and looking forward to learning a little bit more about this stuff, so one day I can give back and help some other people out.
  2. gavron

gavron New Member

Search for "setcpu" and "system info" and look for people's numbers.

You should have read about the part about using a backup utility like Astro. You can backup your apps AND your app settings. The same applies here.

Seriously. You shouldn't be formatting the sdcard. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT your having done no backup and now asking about formatting sdcard implies you have no idea what you're doing and are likely to just destroy your own data.

Stop now. Don't proceed until you're sure you realize the risk (you'll destroy all your data).

RESPECTFULLY I am of the same mind, but a little basic use of the "search" button or reading up on upgrading would have at least told you about backup... and your wanting to format sdcard is the most amazing thing I've heard in ages.

Still, your heart is in the right place.

Do NOT wipe the sdcard.

ALWAYS wipe cache.

WIPE data when going from different versions of ROMs.

WIPE system when installing a rom

OVERCLOCKING is covered in detail all over the place. I have often recommended AdamZ's low-voltage and ChevyNo1's kernel. Right now I'm on ChevyNo1's Medium-voltage 1.1GHz kernel.

E
  3. Coots

Coots New Member

I have, and it seems to vary from person to person I guess. I suppose just oc'n it, and seeing for myself will be the thing to do.

Well, I have ASTRO, but I did not realize you could make complete application backups, and setting backups with ASTRO. I will read up more on this, thank you for the info.

I would pull any backups that I've done w/ nandroid etc. onto my PC before formatting it. But I've read before, that the Droid comes with a blank SD card. So maybe I should have been more specific in my OP. If I backed up pictures/ previous nandroid backups etc. Is there any reason not to format the SD card? Does it actually come blank?

Well, I have read about backing things up using apps like Titanium, and MyBackUpPro, I just didn't know if those kept your apps on your sdcard as well, and you could install them and still keep your settings etc. Now that you've told me that ASTRO can do it, I'll be looking into that.

Noted, and I will check all of these out. Thanks again for your input. Very helpful.