A couple noob hacking ?'s before official 2.1 hits

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Skymutt, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well hey, lookit dat, Astro will backup my apps, and the contacts ARE all backed up already, lol. I feel like such a noob. Thanks everybody!

Is it pretty much accepted that bugless beast is the best ROM so far?

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, some people like sholes because they are afraid to type stuff into the terminal emulator and actually do it for themselves.

I found sholes to be way too buggy for my tastes. Others have reported the same. Some people swear by it.

3. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. yes

2. easy ... if you were able to root it you should have no problem unrooting it.

3. easy .... they basically follow one of the two steps: restoring a backup in nandroid or installing the update.zip file .... both options are simple to do. Or the other option is the sholes updater which does most of the work for you alls you have to do is pick what you want.

4. thats what we are here for.

4. sherrywilson44

Ratings:
    +0

Okay, that's the route I took in order to ready myself for the 2.1 update. My question now is, will I be able to get the OTA for 2.1 when it comes? Going with the Sholes updater then going back to stock through Sholes isn't going to interfere with that will it? I still have files in Astro under Nandroid (they say Preinstallments) Are these the back up file you guys are talking about? They all say the files can't be found so I'm assuming that I've wiped them out, right? So am I okay now for the OTA and can I delete all these files? Thanks for any help you can give me.

5. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    exactly.....

6. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, this is correct. :)

7. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I did it! Thanks Matth3w, for the tuts which made it so simple to follow!

Everything seems ok so far other than a couple minor things.

On reboot, the lock screen shows up funny, all the text and clock appear there on a totally black screen, then after a few seconds it flips into the proper formatting with theme. This happens both with and without the smoked glass theme. (I patched back to standard because I liked it better)

Also, is there a way to get the new Nexus style app drawer and home screen buttons? (without using launcher2, I tried that before and didn't like the choppy performance)

Thanks everyone once again!

8. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You may try to overclock your system that could lead to better performance with it .... seems ok on my phone. The only other way I can think of is to go with a 2.1 rom. Word is that the Droid won't even get that fancy launcher anyways.

Glad that your rooted, now you can enjoy the experience more.

9. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I didn't do enough research, lol. I thought BBeast was a 2.1 rom, dang. Any recommendations?

10. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ugh, just noticed that my weather channel app/widget aren't working. Market claims it's installed, but It's not showing in the drawer etc. When I try to reinstall from backup (Astro or MYbackup) the install fails.

11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    See if it shows up when you try to add the widget

12. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The widget doesn't show up on the list of available widgets either.