A couple noob hacking ?'s before official 2.1 hits

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Skymutt, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was holding off on root/hacking because official 2.1 was gonna give me the basics I was after. Since it looks like official 2.1 may not have all the features I want after all, I think I want to join the ranks of the hacked owners, at least till we find out what official 2.1 has to offer. This fills my head to bursting with questions I need answered before I make a move.

1) Is it still possible to completely undo any and all root/custom ROMs, etc (while saving files, apps, settings) so that if I can go to official if I want? (and also so I can make it look like I never did anything in case I need Verizon or Moto service)

2) How easy is it to revert to stock if I need to?

3) How easy is it to install back and forth between custom ROMs till I find the one that suits me best?

4) Not a question, but a warning that there will probably be more to come. :)

Thanks in advance

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    1) yes
    2) pretty easy
    3) also pretty easy

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Read the links in my signature to educate yourself pretty well.

4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah man that's the best thing you can do really....read everything you can find about this stuff...

And then read some more!

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    True, because if you don't...you will get stuck on a step somewhere and just get frustrated.

6. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, wow! Thanks Matt and Nate. I'm real big on research before making any kind of move.

Just skimmed through all your tuts, Matt, very detailed work I must say. It looks hard to screw up without trying to, that's for sure.

Next question, In step 9/10 you start to "flash" something, but obviously not the primary ROM. what exactly is being flashed (similar to BIOS maybe?) and how does it affect the hardware?

Also, backing stuff up doesn't start till around #27, so how would I back everything up before this? I ask because it looks as though the way to get back to stock take you to bone stock (fresh outta the box) meaning that contacts, apps, and settings are lost too. The Verizon store xferred all my contacts when I got the phone, so I don't have any other way of putting them back if I lose them.

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You flash the recovery image, which you need to back up (to answer your second question).

8. Skymutt

Skymutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So if I understand correctly, there's no way to back up stuff before flashing the rec image, so I should write down all my contacts and what apps I have so I can put them all back manually if I go back to stock?

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You can download MyBackUpPro for a fee from the Market and back all that crap up.

10. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    cant you just use astro?

11. nastybynature

nastybynature New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a Droid then your contacts should ALL be backed up on your gmail account.:)

12. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check out sholesmod on the market. It will root your phone for you and does a nandroid backup for you. It also gives you the option to revert back to a nonrooted phone if you want to get the official 2.1