A carrier wanting you to root

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did not believe this story when I read it earlier from phandroid, but after going through the Cincinnati Bell PDF file it is true. The carrier wants you to root so you can upgrade your device. Whoo hooo ..... now if we could convince big red and the other carriers to at least relax on those who do root. Now the flip side is what will happen if people brick their devices, since the carrier authorized it they are responsible and that could be a can of worms that they wish they would not have opened, especially if those same root user get a hold of a certain app and start burning through crazy amounts of data.

Kudos to Cincinnati Bell....

Cincinnati Bell Releases Froyo for the Motorola XT720, Includes Root Access and Titanium Backup

by Kevin Krause on July 1st, 2011 at 2:33 pm
Motorola-Milestone-XT720-Android-Smartphone.jpg
Cincinnati Bell didn’t wait around for Motorola to issue their OEM upgrade to Android 2.2 for the Milestone XT720. Instead they have released their own ROM for installation on the device, and in an unprecedented move for a carrier they have included the tools you will need to root your freshly updated handset. In fact, it looks like the only way to install the update is by first rooting your device before flashing the ROM. Included is an Android Commander program that utilizes SuperOneClick to grant super user access and includes Titanium Backup.Correct me if I am wrong, but we have never seen anything quite like this before. We suppose that’s what happens with a carrier eager to satisfy their customers despite lack of support from the OEM. It certainly isn’t the easiest update process imaginable (no OTA here), but CinciBell has done their best to make it as painless as possible. More details at the source link below.
[Cincinnati Bell via @Syrenz32]

http://cincinnatibell.com/milestoneupgrade/Motorola_xt720_Upgrade_Process.pdf

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Some one had to be first, hopefully others will see this and somewhat open their eyes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
This is pretty cool actually. And honestly probably really takes the pressure off of them to get upgrades out there. I am sure they will run into some issues with people using it improperly or messing up their device but I would have to think the cost to get an ota coded, approved, and rolled out is pretty large as well.