1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A call to the themeing community

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by mth04, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Well here at DF we pride ourselves and this site on great members and the community as a whole. In less than a year more then 80k people have registered and growth is showing no signs of slowing. The staff is rolling along and the Android community is looking at DF more and more. Having said that,

What I would like to do is get a full boat themeing tutorial done. Video and all. I know its a big project so I ask anyone who wants to help me and DF out with this project to contact me via PM or gtalk @ miami1683@gmail.com

Think of this like if my father reads this tutorial or watched the video he will get a basic understanding of the how to and the why's of themeing

Thanks for all your help and consideration on this matter. It an open topic for discussion

Miami
  2. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

I was going to actually make small clips on theming on my website once I'm finished with the theme I am working on...So I can forward any that I do to you. Would be glad to help out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

This is a great idea I have been learning a lot about themeing from random threads all over this site and many other popular websites besides this one, and I wish I could find a good general tutorial for everything. Things to consider are how fast Android is growing, some are still on 2.1, waiting for Froyo official ROMs, and others like me are on Froyo betas and don't have any intention of going back unless I have to.

If you could provide maybe a simple to-do list and a have-done list, others could probably help out by not providing redundant information and focus on things to put that need to be done.
  4. dmacleo

dmacleo Moderator/RS Premium Member

even if a person does not want to theme the knowledge of how its done could also help with troubleshooting a theme.
    good idea.
  5. kevdog

kevdog New Member

It would depend on what you want to do. I think the first plan of action would be to decide on what information to present -- from the basic to the advanced. Text or Written Explanations should always accompany video presentations as well and I would be happy to help out on this portion.
  6. Vazguard

Vazguard New Member

I am happy that this is finally being done. I have a semi-complete mockup of a theme that I want to create, but there are few actual theme creation instruction sets that I can find.
  7. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

I will consider making a couple short videos and an example theme video..
    If i get time ;)
  8. JsinLegacy

JsinLegacy Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

9. CorCor67

CorCor67 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

10. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

bump........i'm hoping for more of a single document put to gether by the community.
  11. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I also was interested in making a small guide to theming. Mostly the core parts, setting up ADB, push pull, 9patch, hex colors... I also wanted to make screen cap videos... (dont have much free time tho ahhhhg!)
  12. 7h3.4pp12en7ic3

7h3.4pp12en7ic3 New Member

This is a great idea, I think there are a lot of people with image editing skills (I hesitate to say photoshop, not everyone uses it), but don't quite know where to begin theming.
  13. mmobley

mmobley Theme Developer Theme Developer

This would be wild.

Seeing as themers have different methods of getting from alpha to bravo.

Some draw there own icons, some rip clipart from the internet, some modify existing icons, some uses other people icons with a twist.....

An think about all the different editing software we use....

brain just went into over load.....

Miami if your up for this challenge more power to you. This will be a lot of info to compile into one place.

There is no way i have time to sit and map out everything i do and how i do it.

But if you can PM me a few requests of things i do i'll help out.
  14. nagmier

nagmier New Member

Thats my problem I have alot of issues digging through the sparse and disjointed information also some of it is out of date and to spend time working on something just to find out thats how it was done on 1.5 or 1.6 but not 2.1/2.2 is frustrating.

I know my 9x12 wacom tablet would be much happier if I spent more time with it :D
  15. hellokitty08

hellokitty08 New Member

Oh that's a good idea!!! Because I've just spent my time trying to look for a how to guide on how to make a theme but couldn't find it anywhere on this forum. A step by step guide would be nice. I already have Photoshop. I've also looked at other sites for tutorials but they weren't clear on the instucions. I'm new to android so I would need a thorough step.
  16. Koveleski

Koveleski Premium Member Premium Member Developer

That'd be a pretty large document.