1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

A better, smarter photo viewer

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by bergdev, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bergdev

bergdev New Member

I'm looking for but not finding, a good photo display app. A better, smarter photo viewer would

1. just figure out the proper orientation and put the short dimension of the image on the short dimension of the display
    2. have options to
      • always display landscape, portrait, or auto (figure it out per above)
      • ignore the device orientation when displaying images (always on if "figure it out" mode is enabled).
    3. be smart about RAM usage going to the file system more often and load images into RAM only as needed - this allows the storage and processing of many large size image files.
    4. press-and-hold handler would allow deletion, zoom, rotate, crop, etc.
    5. navigation to next/previous image using swipes
    6. allow viewing by file system folders - not just everything on the SD card.
    Does anyone know of an app that even comes close?
  2. Shel

Shel New Member

Check out an app called, I believe, Photo Blast.

Great app.

Don't know if it addresses all or even most of your feature requests, but it is an easy to use photo viewer, much nicer then Gallery.

Hope this helps... (oh, there is a small charge, but like all Android apps, you can return it within 24 hours if, after you purchase it, you feel it isn't worth the money or meeting your needs)
  3. rocketrn25

rocketrn25 New Member

how do you return an app and get money back, just by unistalling it?
  4. SoftwareForMe.com

SoftwareForMe.com New Member

Return to the app's page in the Market. There is a Return and Refund button there for about 24 hours after download.

@bergdev,
    We are working on a better, smarterphoto viewer. It's a very early Beta at present and very light on features, but, this is how we do software: release a primitive concept, then work closely with customers to drive development of features. So, if you're a little robust about bugs and missing features, but you might like to get the features you want implemented, this might be just your thing.

We will be releasing an update before the end of this evening. The added features, combined with what is already there will total:
    * Browsing of all [non-empty] SD Card folders
    * Smart thumbnail creation (for speed, we don't use the Camera App's thumbs; we are now building our own)
    * Smart memory management--ability to load very large images (although they will be somewhat scaled down in the app)
    * Multi-touch zooming (best on Droid, but works on previous phones as well)
    * Variable thumbnail sizes in the gallery view
    * Rudimentary swipe to switch images (no animations as yet, but that's coming)
    * Volume control to switch images

We have so much more to do; when we publish the update, we'll also update our website with status and a list of the features that have "made it" into the backlog and will soon be available, here: SoftwareForMe.com - PhoneMyPC

Warm regards,
    SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of Imagine MultiTouch
    & PhoneMyPC
  5. uscjoel

uscjoel New Member

I would really love to find an app to remove red eye. Anyone know of anything out there?
  6. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

i think the photoshop app has that ability
  7. Foolish

Foolish New Member

The imagine that gallery is a great app and its still early the devs are quick to reply and are very open to suggestions the pinch and zoom works great as well. A must have app for only 99 cents
  8. ironosity

ironosity New Member

Seconded! Buy Imagine Multitouch! The first update was a great improvement on the first version. I can't wait for the next update!
  9. Shel

Shel New Member

Just downloaded Imagine Multitouch, and I'm not feeling it.

Upon launch, it shows me ALL of my folders? ALL of my music folders, data folders, etc?

Who wants to scroll around, trying to find my images???

With Photo Burst, it presents you with ONLY folders which contain images, along with one photo. Tap on a folder, and the contained images are lined up in two nice, neat rows, which you can easily scroll through to find what you're looking for.

I understand Imagine is still in the early stages, and it does offer multi touch/pinch zoom, but so far, it really lacks polish, esp. compared to Photo Burst!

If Photo Burst would add multi touch, it really would be almost perfect.

Still, it's great to have choices, not meaning to attack anyone who happens to like Imagine. Just my two cents.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  10. SoftwareForMe.com

Thank you, Shel. Opinions about why other apps are better than ours are precisely what we want!

I've used Photo Burst. It's well done, and clearly more mature and polished than ours. But, I know we can do much better, and I know we will. Right now, I suppose our Beta is more for the very trusting, very optimistic, or just people who have experience with our other product (PhoneMyPC) and know we'll make good on our promises. Or, perhaps just people who love to participate be a part of the team.

Some things that bug me about Photo Burst:
    * After trying for 30 minutes to index my 3800 photos, it crashes. I don't like the "index everything first" approach.
    * It often FC's on me in gallery view
    * Swipe animations are just that: animations, and not very interactive or kinetic feeling (I know, I know, we don't even have THAT yet)
    * The program feels slow, even on the fastest Android phone

So, I agree with everything you wrote. But, give it some time; our early users have told us what to do, and we're hard at work getting it done!

SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of Imagine Multitouch & PhoneMyPC
  11. Jeremy556

Jeremy556 New Member

I just downloaded Imagine as well. I agree that folders without images should be hidden. Otherwise, I like it better than the built in application.

It has probably already been covered by other users, but when using pinch zoom, once it gets to fully zoomed out, it tends to transition to the next image instead of stopping. It could certainly use the share and delete options of the default image viewer as well.
  12. rlittle66

rlittle66 New Member

I would like to see an app similar to AceeDsee (not sure of spelling) with its functionality for the Motorola Droid. It is a really fantastic software and very compact and lots of photo power.
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

does this app allow for re-sizing images (or will it)... so i can use certain images as wallpaper? thanks
  14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

I just downloaded Imagine - and am very impressed! I think this is one of the first apps that I have come across that really takes advantage of the power of the Droid. I can flick through photos lightening fast and the increase/decrease size motion with the pinch is very fluid with no lag. Definitely a keeper!!

I also like the general design with the set of folder stacks with a micro thumbnail of one of the pictures in the folder.

My wishlist:
    1. A means to hide folders that I do not want to see listed (and have the app remember these)
    2. A means to delete photos from within this app
    3. Maybe a means to password-protect folders so they are not viewable

[I realize these are already on your Upcoming Item list - but thought I would put my vote in!]
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  15. rlittle66

rlittle66 New Member

AceeDsee

yes it does and very well and you can crop red eye reduction color correction it does it all
  16. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Figures the 24 hours for my PicSay purchase refund has past.... I'll probably still grab this app anyway.
  17. bergdev

bergdev New Member

I'll give Imagine Multitouch a go. Being a software developer myself, I can appreciate how a product can evolve and am more than willing to provide feedback, if not programming help.
  18. bergdev

bergdev New Member

Sorry to point out problems in a public forum but your web site doesn't easily allow suggestions.

Problem:
    When pinch-zooming out, the last part of the last multi-touch motion that brings you to minimum zoom level gets interpreted as a "scroll to the next image" operation. I suspect this has to do with the user allowing one finger to disengage from the display before the other, a reasonable and expected occurrence.

Workaround:
    Only pinch zoom vertically, not horizontally (not really practical for the user community).

Suggestions:
    * Assuming it's possible to distinguish between multi-point versus single-point touch mode, I would suggest that you disable scrolling to the next image until all fingers have left the display. In short:
    * If two points are being touched, go to multi-point mode and interpret the points accordingly.
    * If transitioning from multi-point to single-point mode, only allow panning. Obviously, if the image is panned out to its minimum size, then just do nothing.
    * Do not allow any scrolling to the next image until after the user transitions to single-point mode from no-point mode.

I don't have a clue about the framework. So I may be way off base here. I'm just trying to present a conceptual approach to the problem. Feel free to contact me if any of this does not make sense. However, given what you've done so far, you're obviously pretty bright.

Thanks.
  19. SoftwareForMe.com

Hi bergdev,

You can PM us, email us, post here, post there, blog about it, put up a web site or just post it on Craigs List... all that matters is that you get the information to us. Public forums are just fine; secrecy has no place in our software development process.

Thank you for your finds and suggestions. You're spot on about the handling; we used something more like:
    * When transitioning from multi- to single-touch, do nothing special, but begin a "single finger operation'
    * When the single finger is lifted, it is always considered a PAN unless the following are true:
    1) It was nearly horizontal
    2) It was more than 30 pixels in length
    3) The image is zoomed all the way out

However, even that isn't working, so there's a bug there.

This will be fixed and released soon.

SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of Imagine Multi-touch
    & PhoneMyPC
  20. PJ_ED

PJ_ED New Member

OK, I just downloaded and played a little bit with Imagine. I did this partly because I was looking for a good photo viewer, but mostly because I like the way SoftwareForMe does business. I am pleased that you take criticism well and simply want to make a better product. That being said Here are my two cents:

-Allow deletion, zoom, rotate, crop, etc. with long press or menu button
    -I really don't care about animation on photo switching but OK if it's an easy fix.
    -Looking only at folders that have pictures would be good. I made it easy for myself by putting all of my photo folders under one folder, so access is pretty quick and painless.
    - What bergdev mentioned about the pinch zoom I also noticed, only because I tried what he was talking about. I can see how it scrolling to the next image when simply trying to go to minimum size can get annoying. Maybe putting a minimum distance your finger must travel for scrolling would fix it.

I have only been playing with it for about ten minutes now so I may find more things I think should be fixed. I also may find that I am an idiot and some of the functions are there, I just couldn't figure them out yet.

Thanks for the good work.
Search tags for this page
android best photo viewer
android photo viewer not stackable
best android image viewer
best android image viewer app

best android photo viewer

best image browser for android
best image viewer android
best image viewer for android
best photo viewer app droid
droid 4 best photo viewer editor