A $5 Million Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed Against Motorola for Poor Warranty Support

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-support-logo.jpg

We recently shared a couple of stories regarding the poor warranty support at Motorola. You can find them, here and here. It looks like Motorola's situation just went from bad to worse. Apparently a $5 Million class action lawsuit has been filed against the company for their poor warranty support. Here's a quote with a few more details,

"The main plaintiff in the case is Georgia resident Douglas Lynch, who alleges it took Motorola months to replace his defective Moto 360 late last year. When the company finally did so, it sent him a cheaper model than the one he paid for. This appears to be a weirdly common occurrence among Motorola customers. The court filing includes a number of additional sample complaints..." ~ AndroidPolice

Lynch's situation isn't an isolated case either. There are numerous examples of Motorola customers experiencing issues like this spread across the Moto customer forums and the Moto X subreddit. It sounds like someone in charge of support at Motorola is asleep at the wheel. I can imagine a few folks will be losing their jobs before this debacle is over. What do you folks think of the situation?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
And moto 360 are selling for $80 a pop eBay guess warranty and support aren't included lol.

Clamshell

Reaction score
Anyone think all this bad press will cause some serious price cutting and sales?
Would it be worth rolling the dice to buy another Motorola? I've been a Motorola customer since the days of pagers. Anyone on this forum remember pagers? Guess I'm showing my age. LOL.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It sounds like someone in charge of support at Motorola is asleep at the wheel. I can imagine a few folks will be losing their jobs before this debacle is over. What do you folks think of the situation?
Warranty policy is not usually a local decision. Policy is typically made at a higher level and filtered down. Sounds like a Lenovo decision...

Clamshell

Reaction score
If they cannot handle simple things like warranty's; makes me wonder how well they'll do designing, engineering and mfg. new phones. Not a good sign or start for Lenovo in regards to Motorola.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Class action lawsuits are a sad part of the legal system. The only people who receive any real compensation are the attorneys and the lead plaintiff. Virtually all the rest receive a pittance, usually in the form of a small cash disbursement, discount or credit coupon towards future product purchases. The company defendant spends millions in legal fees and settlement and may pay a fine and agree to fix whatever may be wrong with their products or services. IMHO is a waste and completely unfair.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Lenovo products and service have gone to the crapper in recent years. Lenovo seems to think it's name will carry itself. Too bad IBM sold their PC business to them.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Personally I am sick and tired of these frikking lawsuits in general.
A $5 million dollar suit... because it took too long for your warranty replacement to ship? Give me a break....

And like Foxxy said... everyone and their mother will join, whether they've been "wronged" or not, and IF they win (*HUGE if) you'll get $10.00.
Maybe.

Remember this one?
Apple hit with class action lawsuit over iOS 9’s performance on older iPhones

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Personally I am sick and tired of these frikking lawsuits in general.
A $5 million dollar suit... because it took too long for your warranty replacement to ship? Give me a break....

And like Foxxy said... everyone and their mother will join, whether they've been "wronged" or not, and IF they win (*HUGE if) you'll get $10.00.
Maybe.

Remember this one?
Apple hit with class action lawsuit over iOS 9’s performance on older iPhones
I received $11.70 from Sylvania and that was a $50 suit.

This suit will probably be about $2 and is bs like all the rest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I got a buck and a half for the memory one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk