98.72.8 vs 98.72.16

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Has anyone found any differences between the Christmas leak and the OTA update released today? I've read that the soak test is the same version number as what was pushed today.

I downloaded .16 tonight but didn't install it. I actually moved it to my SD card just so it doesn't accidentally get installed. I doubt I'd lose root, but I don't want to take any chances. The update was a small file, only about 38 meg so it can't be much of an upgrade.

If this has already been answered, can someone please point me to the thread.

Rhino94

Reaction score
I haven't seen any major differences yet. If there is any it is so minor that you or I can probably not see it.

jl1967

Reaction score
I did received the update and before I installed it, temporarily un-root using voodoo ota. Then after installed it, back to root again. No prob. It was running christmas leak.

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I used vodoo before to go from GB to ICS but when I installed the JB leak, I lost root even when using vodoo. I was able to reroot so it wasn't a big deal.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The .8 version (actually 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US) is for upgrading from .211 ICS, the .16 version (actually 98.72.8.XT912.Verizon.en.US) is for upgrading from the Christmas Eve (Festivus Eve) OTA leak. The two end up with the phone showing version 98.82.16, so they will be identical.

The Christmas leak is definitely different than the actually 98.72.8.XT912.Verizon.en.US, otherwise there would be no reason to make the upgrade available, and the number of the OS would have stopped at 98.72.8 instead. As for what is different, it's not readily apparent however we'll know in time as people discover the differences.

Last edited:
OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Have you noticed any differences between the Christmas leak and the OTA, FoxKat?

If there isn't any difference then why push out an 38MB update...why not just 2 or 3? I can understand pushing the update to get everyone on the official version of JB.

I'm just being curious if anything visibly has been changed or if it's all changes under the surface.

Maybe it's too soon to be asking about the changes since the OTA just came out today. Maybe a few little things have been fixed since the Christmas JB leak.

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I've read that there's supposed to be less bloatware in the .16 version but I haven't noticed any less. I think the phone runs even smoother and that the screen transitions from dark to light a little better. Apps open and close a little faster too. Hopefully the random reboots are gone too but it's too early to tell.

This could have been in the Christmas leak and I didn't notice it before but the email app has a light and dark mode/theme to it. Open the email app, go into settings and click general and there's an option for light or dark theme.

I couldn't figure out how to change my email fetch settings to manual. I actually had to go into system settings, data usage and clicked the menu button and unchecked "auto sync data"

Last edited:

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
My phone has been running terrible since I installed the .16 version from the .8 version. I did a Wipe Cache Data, already. What happens, is, sometimes I will see just the Apps button for a few seconds, and then everything else FINALLY shows up. The problem is intermittent and happens when I press the HOME button or when I swipe right to unlock my phone. I'm thinking of doing a FDR and finally caving in and rooting, to take advantage of Titanium Backup, amongst a few other things I've been wanting. This didn't happen on the .8 version.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
My phone has been running terrible since I installed the .16 version from the .8 version. I did a Wipe Cache Data, already. What happens, is, sometimes I will see just the Apps button for a few seconds, and then everything else FINALLY shows up. The problem is intermittent and happens when I press the HOME button or when I swipe right to unlock my phone. I'm thinking of doing a FDR and finally caving in and rooting, to take advantage of Titanium Backup, amongst a few other things I've been wanting. This didn't happen on the .8 version.

For what it's worth I did an FDR before installing the update and I'm glad I did. I backed up my data, phone log, and text log and it was painless.
It took a few hours restoring a few apps but it gave me a chance to curb my app addiction.

No problems, no slow downs like ICS

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
For what it's worth I did an FDR before installing the update and I'm glad I did. I backed up my data, phone log, and text log and it was painless.
It took a few hours restoring a few apps but it gave me a chance to curb my app addiction.
Looks like I have a project for tomorrow. Ugh! I'm pretty sure that'll fix my problem, actually. At least I'll learn how to root, too. LOL

chadwick108

Reaction score
wish I would have stayed on leak

I just updated a few days ago and wish I stayed on jelly bean leak... found my favorite ROM and can not seem to figure out a way to get back to it because can not flash since ota. if anyone knows if there is a fastboot file please let me know. ROM was rls7 touchwiz

thanks in advance

https://www.empowernetwork.com/chadwick108/?p=281

4low4fun

Reaction score
I just updated a few days ago and wish I stayed on jelly bean leak... found my favorite ROM and can not seem to figure out a way to get back to it because can not flash since ota. if anyone knows if there is a fastboot file please let me know. ROM was rls7 touchwiz

thanks in advance

https://www.empowernetwork.com/chadwick108/?p=281

I found a patch on xda that you flash on safe strap that let's you use leak based ROMs. The annoying part is there's another patch you have to flash every time you want to switch back go your stock rom or any rom based on the ota..

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
How can I get this to stop popping up every 12 hours? I'm fine on the X-Mas leak and don't want this. I'm rooted. There has to be a way to stop this notification without installing it. Any suggestions?

View attachment 63295

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Fixed my own problem in case anyone was curuious...

I used Titanium Backup and froze Updater.apk

Now I don't get that annoying update notification.