.902 update won't install

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
Hey guys! I got the .902 update this morning so I decided to download and install it. Everything was going just fine until I hit install. The phone reboots and shows the box next to the android guy with a progression bar at the bottom. Well when the progression bar gets a quarter of the way filled, the box next to the android turns into an exclamation mark inside of a triangle and the phone reboots. When the phone reboots it gives me an error message that says "Software update failed". I've looked around the forum to find a solution before I posted but I couldn't find one.

My phone is rooted and I also have changed my font. Silly me forgot to make a backup of the stock font so I can change it back. (Not sure if this is relevant to the update failure but you never know!) Also I have uninstalled Backup Assistant and the Backup Assistant client. I never use it and it never synced right anyway :/ Another thing I've changed is the boot animation. Other than that I am running stock rom and have system version 5.5.893. Thanks in advanced for the help guys!

skeetdrn

Reaction score
me too!!

Hey guys! I got the .902 update this morning so I decided to download and install it. Everything was going just fine until I hit install. The phone reboots and shows the box next to the android guy with a progression bar at the bottom. Well when the progression bar gets a quarter of the way filled, the box next to the android turns into an exclamation mark inside of a triangle and the phone reboots. When the phone reboots it gives me an error message that says "Software update failed". I've looked around the forum to find a solution before I posted but I couldn't find one.

My phone is rooted and I also have changed my font. Silly me forgot to make a backup of the stock font so I can change it back. (Not sure if this is relevant to the update failure but you never know!) Also I have uninstalled Backup Assistant and the Backup Assistant client. I never use it and it never synced right anyway :/ Another thing I've changed is the boot animation. Other than that I am running stock rom and have system version 5.5.893. Thanks in advanced for the help guys!

Please let me know if you find a fix for this im having same issue and the same phone status but i have not done a factory reset trying to fix it but no luck. Thanks

OP
Agent_10.7

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
Well if you find a fix before I do let me know! I was think I have to flash a stock ROM or something but not sure if that would make a difference since I'm already stock.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

skeetdrn

Reaction score
i got mine good to go

Well if you find a fix before I do let me know! I was think I have to flash a stock ROM or something but not sure if that would make a difference since I'm already stock.

Ok so my main problem was all of a sudden I couldn't download anything from the market even stuff I had before on the same phone so I ended up flashing liberty 2.0 gold and now its all good

rfwright16

Reaction score
Can't get 902 install to work either

So i have a rooted 893 bionic, rooted with bionicpathsaver which i've been told is foreverrooted....I got the OTA to 902, wouldn't install. Corresponded with the everhelpful djmatt, who suggested a factory reset, then allow the OTA to show up. Did that, allowed the OTA in, no luck. Hangs on install. I also tried downloading the blur file and installing it independinetly....no love. Have nandroid backups so i restored the bootstrap recovery and am now in the middle of a restore.

Any great ideas from the community?

OP
Agent_10.7

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
What I ended up doing was restoring my phone as if it was bricked. After I restored it, I lost root so I decided to check for the update and download it. I got it to download and install and then just ran the new exploit to root .902!

Everything seems to be going just fine now! :) Hopefully this helps anyone else stuck in the same situation I was in! :)

rfwright16

Reaction score
What I ended up doing was restoring my phone as if it was bricked. After I restored it, I lost root so I decided to check for the update and download it. I got it to download and install and then just ran the new exploit to root .902!

Everything seems to be going just fine now! :) Hopefully this helps anyone else stuck in the same situation I was in! :)

OK now that I am going to write this i will be hosed, i just know it. I have never bricked my phone, as I have been extrarordinarily careful to follow instructions. I know just enough to get me in trouble. And if i bricked my phone, I would absolutely get a massive amount of abuse from my wife!!!! She just rolls her eyes when I am messing aroudn with the phone. She just can't wait to say "I TOLD you so!" :biggrin: I would normally just let the update go but since .893 i seem to have more data drops than before and have had miscellaneous BSODs. What a pain.

How do I restore as if the phone had been bricked? And if i do so, will I lose all access to any backups like nandroid, etc? Can you provide a simple step by step?

OP
Agent_10.7

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
Yea I know the feeling of hearing "i told you so!!" :) Ok so what you are going to want to do is follow this link:

Unbrick Motorola Droid Bionic With RSD Lite 5.5 [Guide]There are 3 files that you are going to want to download from this page. In step 1 of the instructions it says to enter fastboot recovery by turning the phone off and then pressing the volume up and power button at the same time. What you are actually going to want to do is press and hold the volume down button and the power button. Other than that follow the directions on that page and you should be good to go. If it doesn't flash the first time just keep trying. Plug it into a different usb port (preferably a back one...don't know why but it works!) Try a different usb cable etc etc.

Just be sure to make a backup of all of your files in the internal storage because it may wipe all of your user data! Also the video on the page is very useful! It helped me out alot :D

As far as rooting the phone after you update to .902 it's really easy! (Thank you devs for the hard work!!) Just download this file, extract it, and run the batch file (labeled "run" I believe) It'll be called 'motofail'

[FONT='Helvetica Neue', helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip[/FONT]

After you run that file it'll open up a command prompt window. All you have to do is turn usb debugging on and plug your phone into the usb and press enter.

To turn Usb debugging: From the home screen touch the menu button (Four squares to the left of the home button) then press settings. Go into 'Applications' and press 'Development' and check USB debugging.

Hope this helps! Remember to make backups of your files!! Also no one can be held liable except yourself if something goes wrong or you mess up your phone...but someone is always out there to help!! :happy3:

jcwilliams

Reaction score
What I had to do was restore a stock root backup I had from day one and then the update went through. And it was because I uninstalled system apps after my first backup instead of freezing then.

djmatt8787

Reaction score
Yea I know the feeling of hearing "i told you so!!" :) Ok so what you are going to want to do is follow this link:

Unbrick Motorola Droid Bionic With RSD Lite 5.5 [Guide]There are 3 files that you are going to want to download from this page. In step 1 of the instructions it says to enter fastboot recovery by turning the phone off and then pressing the volume up and power button at the same time. What you are actually going to want to do is press and hold the volume down button and the power button. Other than that follow the directions on that page and you should be good to go. If it doesn't flash the first time just keep trying. Plug it into a different usb port (preferably a back one...don't know why but it works!) Try a different usb cable etc etc.

Just be sure to make a backup of all of your files in the internal storage because it may wipe all of your user data! Also the video on the page is very useful! It helped me out alot :D

As far as rooting the phone after you update to .902 it's really easy! (Thank you devs for the hard work!!) Just download this file, extract it, and run the batch file (labeled "run" I believe) It'll be called 'motofail'

[FONT='Helvetica Neue', helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip[/FONT]

After you run that file it'll open up a command prompt window. All you have to do is turn usb debugging on and plug your phone into the usb and press enter.

To turn Usb debugging: From the home screen touch the menu button (Four squares to the left of the home button) then press settings. Go into 'Applications' and press 'Development' and check USB debugging.

Hope this helps! Remember to make backups of your files!! Also no one can be held liable except yourself if something goes wrong or you mess up your phone...but someone is always out there to help!! :happy3:

So i have a rooted 893 bionic, rooted with bionicpathsaver which i've been told is foreverrooted....I got the OTA to 902, wouldn't install. Corresponded with the everhelpful djmatt, who suggested a factory reset, then allow the OTA to show up. Did that, allowed the OTA in, no luck. Hangs on install. I also tried downloading the blur file and installing it independinetly....no love. Have nandroid backups so i restored the bootstrap recovery and am now in the middle of a restore.

Any great ideas from the community?

ok, @Agent10.7, back one vs front/side one typically refers to Desktop machines where USB ports are on the motherboard, VS the ones on the front of the case which is not straight soldered. bc of the wires there is a little attenuation and its finicky. most of use are now in laptops (i hope) so that should be fine... on that note, if you have a USB hub plugged in for "ease of access" now is the time to NOT use it... or a USB extension... remove all variables...

now RSD lite i have had lots of problems with... it has not worked right for me since i moved on from the D1... that's probably my fault, given all the Beta ware i have on my laptop(s), trying to get one to function properly is always an adventure. someone else chime in, but does RSDLite work better on XP than on vista or win7? i have Vista, and i think xp is the last machine i got it to succeed on.

again @ rfwright16; bob, you have to get it back to the out-of-the-box settings to make it past the OTA. if its with RSD lite, go for it. again you are writting the OS bit by bit, so super glue that usb in if you have to! dumb dog knocks it off a table mid-write, and an OTA fail will be the least of your problems. :'( im going to PM JKLiving92, and see if he has any input.

djmatt8787

Reaction score
ok, @Agent10.7, back one vs front/side one typically refers to Desktop machines where USB ports are on the motherboard, VS the ones on the front of the case which is not straight soldered. bc of the wires there is a little attenuation and its finicky. most of use are now in laptops (i hope) so that should be fine... on that note, if you have a USB hub plugged in for "ease of access" now is the time to NOT use it... or a USB extension... remove all variables...

now RSD lite i have had lots of problems with... it has not worked right for me since i moved on from the D1... that's probably my fault, given all the Beta ware i have on my laptop(s), trying to get one to function properly is always an adventure. someone else chime in, but does RSDLite work better on XP than on vista or win7? i have Vista, and i think xp is the last machine i got it to succeed on.

again @ rfwright16; bob, you have to get it back to the out-of-the-box settings to make it past the OTA. if its with RSD lite, go for it. again you are writting the OS bit by bit, so super glue that usb in if you have to! dumb dog knocks it off a table mid-write, and an OTA fail will be the least of your problems. :'( im going to PM JKLiving92, and see if he has any input.

by the way, has anyone tried the cdt fix.exe yet??

OP
Agent_10.7

Agent_10.7

Reaction score
@djmatt8787, Well sweet now I know the difference! I'm still using a regular PC. I like em better then laptops but I think it's because I have a tablet for mobility! Lol As far as RSD Lite I got it to work for me on Win 7.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
You guys might want to try unfreezing any bloat you have frozen. That's been the problem for a few people.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

djmatt8787

Reaction score
You guys might want to try unfreezing any bloat you have frozen. That's been the problem for a few people.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ya, they've tried that, and tried Factory Default... it seems like there is a [checksum error] somewhere in the download...