.902 OTA radio SUCKS!!... reverted back to .901

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Mbk, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

After continuous dropped data for several seconds several times a day I finally got fed up and went back to .893, then decided to give .901 a try...and .901 has been 1000% better, although it does drop the 4G signal atleast it triggers to 3G immediately...unlike .902 which just loses the 4G signal and can't seem to lock into 3G quick enough and stays with no connection for several seconds at which point the 4G signal locks back on...very annoying.

How Moto and VZW could screw up things on what is supposed to be virtually the same OTA is beyond my comprehension...lmao... they need newer talent in their development teams...:blink:
  2. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Doesn't seem to work that way for me. 902 has been great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. Mbk

So you never have it drop out of 4g?...ever?... hahaha...
  4. Mbk

Just wondering how many are back on .901? Because for me it is completely a .902 radio issue since it only occurs while on that radio regardless of stock ROM, stock deodexed, or custom ROM... on .893 and .901 it doesn't happen regardless of ROM I have loaded...
  5. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

No, if I understand your post correctly, you're saying that the problem you had with 902 was that WHEN it dropped 4G it wouldn't pick up a 3G signal right away. I'm saying that WHEN my Bionic drops 4G it DOES pick up a 3G signal right away - which it did NOT do previous to getting 902.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums
  6. Mbk

The 4G in Honolulu is almost a 99.9% staple, with only a couple unique areas in bowl valleys where it does drop to 3G..... with 5.5.893 it usually tried to retain the 4G connection even in those few areas, with .901 it instantly dropped to 3G in those areas, but with .902 the 4G signal drops for 2-3 seconds 'everywhere' sometimes up to 4 or 5 times per day. My guess for you may be that you regularly do drop to 3G in many of your market areas, here it rarely ever does, except now with this supposed latest and greatest OTA radio update.
    Obviously there is a slight difference in the .901 and .902 OTAs, which makes me wonder WTH it is!??..oh yeah, and WHY?
  7. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Same here. Of course I had no data problems with .886, .893 or .901 either.
  8. Mbk

So this is with 4G or are you mostly on 3G?... I'm talking about a signal that is almost always 4G, but with .902 the 4G signal disappears and before it toggles to 3G it locks back onto the 4G signal, all a matter of a few seconds but annoying just the same.

Wasn't on .886 long enough to notice much of anything, .893 and .901 both had no issues whatsoever, and being back on .901 for a couple days now without one second of lost signal (toggling or not)... so there is definitely something about .902 and how much I use my Bionic's browser...

So I now have two guys that seem to have no issues with .902, so I'd like to see what it is about their signal that keeps .902 as good as .901 and .893
  9. BroidDrionic

BroidDrionic New Member

I had constant data drops (lost data entirely) on 5.886, 5.893, and 7.893. I mean like ten times a day. Probably more than that that I just never noticed.
    On 901 and now 902, I lose data basically only when there's a nationwide (or region-wide) outage. 902 seems identical to 901 for me in terms of data connectivity. Transfers between 4g, 3g, and wifi are virtually seamless as far as I can tell.
  10. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

I believe its an OS issue because the .902 radio is the same as the one in my D4 here is a screen shot

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

Attached Files:

11. Mbk

the .901 LTE version is 07.1E, whereas .902 is 07.1F...

also, if you were on .901 when the .902 update came out it still flashed a new LTE version...
  12. Mbk

Also, if you were saying that it might not be the LTE radio but rather the build itself, well this also happened when I first flashed the .902 OTA and then restored Eclipse 2.1 which is a .901 build...... but that same exact build (Eclipse v2.1) on .901 is now going on 3 days without not even 1 second of dropped data signal.... so thus why I am blaming the LTE version associated with .902 OTA
  13. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Sorry to hear you are having problems with .902, been working great here. Switches between 4g & 3g without a problem. Running stock, no root.

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk
  14. Mbk

No worries, just reverted back to .901 and couldn't be happier. Not even one second of dropped signal, and only about 3 or 4 instances of dropping down to 3G in the past 3 and a half days... so .901 is rock solid and I am very stoked I decided to go back.
  15. aaf709

I live in San Diego (one of the first cities to get Verizon 4G) and when I got my OG Droid 3G in my house varied from room to room, but I live in a valley so data is spotty at best. At my parents 3G was rock solid.

With my Bionic, I was getting 3G in more places inside my house and 4G almost immediately outside. I even have had 4G inside my house. Some if this may be due to to the improvement of the towers around my house. At my parents I can easily steam a Netflix movie on 4G. The connection has been the same with all versions. .885, .893, .901 and .902. I'm unrooted, if that's any bearing. I did manually install the updates to .901 and .902.
  16. Mbk

Well I think where 3g is more prevalent the .902 radio probably runs better, but not here on Oahu/Honolulu.....and for me it is assuredly the .902 radio that is the problem when needing to run 4g almost exclusively. Back now on the .901 radio I'm now 4+ days without nit even a second of dropped signal....

So whatever they did between the .901 to the .902 radios f'd something up for me... but all's well for me on 901...;)
  17. mantispid

mantispid New Member

Border Regions...

I've noticed that most of the 4G/3G hand-off problems have to do with being in a border region between the two types of coverage. For instance (unfortunately), my house is right where the 4G coverage ends. I have to manually set my phone to 3G-only in order to maintain a stable signal, otherwise it constantly tries to go back and forth and ultimately loses data completely (until toggling airplane mode, etc.).

This is not unique to the Bionic, btw. I've seen the same issue with anyone who visits my house. Such as with the Rezound, Nexus, etc.
  18. Mbk

Well this problem I seem to have with .902 LTE radio in Honolulu isn't issues with being in any 'border regions', because as I mentioned it's almost exclusively 4G 'everywhere' with a few bowl type valley areas like the Salt Lake area between Red Hill and the Koolaus by Tripler Hospital (small pocket), but for some odd reason on .902 the 4G signal drops 'anywhere' out of the blue as if it is trying to toggle down to 3G, but because it only lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds the 4G comes back on before any 3G comes on.
    But on the .901 LTE radio I'm solid 4G virtually all of the time, in fact I must have had 4G signal solid for the past 48 hours+ without any attempts to drop down into 3G. And the reason I am blaming the .902 OTA for screwing up LTE on my Bionic and/or my area is because the OTA to go to .902 from .901 flashes a new LTE radio..... something f's up with that new radio, I'm 99.9999% positive on that.
  19. aaf709

I'm certainly not disbelieving you as we live in two different places. Maybe if we stood "shoulder to shoulder" where you live I might have problems.
  20. INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL New Member

Yeah honestly 902 has been horrible for me. Mine is doing exactly the same as the OP. 901 worked perfect for me and now im so pissed i went to 902.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

droid bionic. 901 radios