1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

9 Things My Dumb-phone DOES that my Smart-Phone DON'T... and vice versa

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Thanassi44, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Thanassi44

Thanassi44 New Member

2. xliderider

xliderider New Member

Nice write-up. :)

How about voice dialing from a BT speaker/headset? Dumb phones on Verizon (The Dare, Blackberry, and Motorolas) do this, why can't the Droid?

On the Droid, you have to place the call using voice dial with the Droid's microphone, then after the call connects, transfer the call to BT. Or use a direct dial shortcut, then transfer the call to BT after the call is connected.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. allan1058

allan1058 New Member

i agree about the texting, i wanted to send out a happy thanksgiving group text out yesterday and was very mad when i discovered I couldn't go from my contact list and pick the names.
  4. synctek

synctek New Member

When you open messages, start typing the number of the person or the contact name...assuming you have them in your contacts...click the person and it will auto-fill the contact then add a comma after. You can then start typing the 2nd contact and third.....just seperate them with commas and hit send.
  5. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Sounds more like a rant than anything informational.

Group texting with commas, or Handcent APP. Simple.

I know there's no hard or soft keys for Phone but how hard is it to press the Phone icon? I mean jeez come on people. Although I do agree that I'd like to see an 'Ignore' option for incoming calls.

Favorites can be added easily as layers to Google Maps. Simple work around. Appears just didn't take the time to investigate.

I can stream video from some sites on my DROID... so I don't know what he's talking about.

The camera... not the greatest but my pictures look great... the preview image is fuzzy when taking the picture but actually looking at the image in the gallery or on my PC it's very clear. Guess it's hit or miss with this.

E-mail issues are supposed to be addressed in the Dec 11th patch. Been out less than 30 days!

The sound when the phone turns on is a gripe? Get real... it's a boot sound. Big deal. WOW

Don't get me wrong this device has it's issues but they aren't portrayed in this article. E-mail... ok....but there's more to it... exchange issues, attachment issues... etc. GPS wasn't addressed... there have been issues with it working. Also some issues with contacts duplicating and merging.

Seems to have been written in haste without doing any research.
  6. allan1058

allan1058 New Member

i dont want to have to start typing their name in, i want to scroll down my contact list and pick them from their. It really shouldnt be this hard to send out a group text.
  7. Martin030908

I forget the website.. which might not make this much help but Android has a website somewhere that they're having people vote on what functions should be addressed in the update. Def make you voice heard. Everyone should.
  8. synctek

synctek New Member

I know what you mean about scrolling and selecting contacts from the list because I too had the Dare and it was a nice feature but with so many contacts especially now with the Droid, typing in contacts is actually faster than scrolling the list because of the auto-complete - works just like gmail....hmmm smart phone.......:)
  9. Martin030908

Thank you. Someone sees the benefit of the auto fill. :icon_ lala:
    I actually dread when I have to scroll through my contacts to make a call! Smooth scrolling but with a lot of contacts it becomes quicker to just auto fill.... at least for me.
  10. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Turn off your sd card notifications if it bothers you that much. Grab handcent, its free, for your sms group issues and wait for the updtae on december 11th for the email issues (hopefully those will addressed)
  11. synctek

synctek New Member

Also, I found the option in Contacts - Settings to hide contacts that do not have phone numbers stored ie... email contacts from Gmail - that sped things up even more when trying to messasge.
  12. medicTHREE

medicTHREE New Member

Install Handcent SMS. This is the beauty of android, you can customize everything.
  13. Willyammer

Willyammer New Member

Thanks, Syntek.

This forum is GREAT. Learn something new every time I visit. And I visit several times a day.
  14. monkeydog

monkeydog New Member

Droid also does not support printing pictures through bluetooth to a printer. Nearly every dumb-phone supports this.
  15. Thanassi44

Thanassi44 New Member

No need to get all hostile and fanboyish. Like I said, I still love the phone. I was just speakin' my mind. Thanks to some readers that showed me how to disable the boot-up sound. (disable SD Card notifications. Also disables sound on USB connect/disconnect)
  16. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

The phone is new, there are issues, most of the issues will get taken care of in time and every other android phone with 2.0 on it will be better for having us be test dummies :) but i'm a happy test dummy, this phone is leagues better then my lg voyager, lol. Yes certain features may have been "accidentally" left off to get the phone out quicker, and other features will just get fixed in time. Until then, i'm still going to be happy, and just try to help those who need it. The best thing i've seen about the droid so far, is that the stock apps.. if you don't like them, replace them. There is most likely an app that does what you need :)
  17. Thanassi44

Thanassi44 New Member

Agreed. Well put. Hopefully December 11th will bring us all some good news.
  18. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

From reading it, i think it will bring the best news to those who use exchange servers. But that is only my opinion, and if the fixes work lol ;)
  19. Martin030908

I agree. Does read slightly hostile. I apologize. No hard feelings boss.
  20. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

yes handcent is freakin awesome and does group texts and many other cool features! and I dont know about you people but I love that "Droooooiidddd" on boot up and as my txt message notification! its just so slick! and yeah there's pretty much an app for all your problems. I think they even have one to distinguish emails, just do some searching around the forum here and you'll find something. happy droiding!
Search tags for this page
android dumbphone
can you text from google voice to a dumb phone
do smart headsets work with dumb phones
droid,you mean dread
dumb phone vs smart phone
dumb phone with talking caller id

google voice dumb phone

google with dumb phone
how to transfer contacts from dumb phone to smartphone
i love my dumb phone

i love my dumbphone