9/23/10 - New Kernels

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Sep 23, 2010.

1. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    No "randomly" about it. Interactive is a modified performance setting and has no place in a mobile environment. You're cooking your Droid. Also, NEVER RUN YOUR MINIMUM SETTING ABOVE KERNEL MINIMUM. I say again, you're cooking your Droid.

As for why these aren't stickied...

From the OP.

2. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have the profiles set to 250/550 interactive when screen is off, when temp is above 54.0°C its at 250/550 conservative and charging at 250/800 interactive. Just switched from the 1.2lv to the 1.1lv kernel.
    So you're saying for the Main Profile run it at 250 minimum instead of 800 and either 1000 or 1100 for the maximum interactive?? I guess that makes sense.:)
    Been running kernels like that for almost all of 2010. I guess that's why I'm always complaining about short battery life haha. Thanks for the tips!

3. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    You should read up on interactive governors before you go on using them, just to be on the safe side.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a-29.html#post743240

And it goes on from there. Interactive kicks your phone up to full speed the instant any demand is placed on the CPU and then SLOWLY trickles down afterward. Needless to say, this isn't good for heat or battery life.

As for setting your kernel at the minimum, yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. :) Why would your phone need to run at 800MHz when it's not doing anything at all except powering the screen? :wink:

4. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea I used to run on demand until these came out. Just wanted to see what the interactive was all about u know. Just never went back to changing it. Never really thought about how the phone's running at 800 when the screens on. Thanks for pointing that out.:)
    Main profile is at 250/1000 interactive now on the 1.1lv kernel.

What's the highest the fail safe should be set at?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  5. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i got mine at 50 celcius

6. beejaycee

beejaycee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just asking for opinions: does it make sense to have multiple step-down points for when things heat up, i.e.

• at 44, degrees, slow down to 900 mhz,
    • at 46, slow to 800 mhz,
    • at 48, slow to 550 mhz
    • at 50, slow to 400 mhz
    • at 52, slow to 250 mhz
    or might that somehow add to the system overhead and make things worse?
    Tnx.

7. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you should really check out the overclocking 101 thread by skullone. it will tell you everything you need to know, but as far as i know there is no need to ramp down progressively. i have my battery and cpu set at 50 degrees c and it clocks down to 550. perfect for saving the cpu

8. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that being said, it should never overheat. if it does it means your pushing it too hard. try either a higher voltage or lower top speed. otherwise the repeated heat ups and cool downs can affect the hardware

9. beejaycee

beejaycee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reference and I've already read it. And I have dumped kernels that seem to run hot; I feel my phone runs better with LV vs ULV. At one time, I had to get away from Chevy's kernels altogether as my phone was getting warmer than I liked for some reason. With 4.8, things are running well but it is also 20+ degrees cooler in N.O. than it was last month. My concerns are not about me pushing the phone too hard but more about the ambient temperature adding to the stress.

Edit: And thanks for the speedy response!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    At the rate heat builds up in the CPU, progressive steps don't really make too much sense. Often it'll just hit the high end and keep climbing as long as you're using the phone. If you're talking about overall temperature/battery temperature it's still the same thing. As a test open Temperature Monitor (the free version works for this) and then do some web browsing for a couple minutes, then check the temp on the CPU and battery. Now open your app drawer and scroll through it for a minute and check the CPU temperature again. If it's not spiking you're fine. If it's almost doubled from when you started, there's a heat issue and progressive stepping won't help.

11. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    can someone using the lv 1.1 new chevy kernel do me a huge favor and let me know the frequency of the 7 slots on it.

iirc...it doesnt have a 700 slot. I think it goes from 550 to 800, which is why I use the 1.0ghz kernel. Plus I dont feel its necessary to clock 1.1 ghz...my phone is at its limit there.

12. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    ttt since I can't get any mods to sticky this ;)