8MP pictures are all less that 1MB in size

OP
D

dcruff

Reaction score
I guess that my camera is working as spec'd. I just took an outdoors picture with lots of grass, trees and flowers. The file size is 2626 KB. The picture quality has improved remarkably since I cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth. I had a similar problem with my first Droid until I cleaned the lens.

Anomander

Reaction score
The file sizes you are getting are pretty spot on for an 8mp phone camera. I do photography as a side business and a lot of people get confused by this. Megapixels (MP) and megabytes (MB) are not the same thing and are not really directly correlated to one another.

Megapixels are the unit of measurement for the sensor image resolution while megabytes are the unit of measurement for data storage. As others said, the saved size of your image depends on the phone's jpeg compression algorithm and how much detail, color, lighting, etc. are in the photo. Now if you're saving in a RAW format (which most basic cameras don't do), then you're file sizes would be much larger b/c there's no compression going on.
Great explanation on the differences. It would be interesting to have the option to save as a raw file instead of jpeg since there are more editing options in Lightroom for raw files. What camera do you shoot with?

lykofos

Reaction score
Great explanation on the differences. It would be interesting to have the option to save as a raw file instead of jpeg since there are more editing options in Lightroom for raw files. What camera do you shoot with?

That would be a very cool option to save it as RAW and the SD card included with the phone is plenty big enough. Unfortunately, there probably will never be enough demand for a feature like that for them to include the option for a phone camera.

My primary is a Canon 40D and I also have a 20D as a back-up. You do photography too?

yiannis

Reaction score
I understand that, but 8MP is 8MP. Doesn't each pixel take the same amount of bytes no matter how small the sensor is?

Certainly not. Without factoring in the compression, a larger sensor will have larger pixels for the same number of pixels. It's not quite a linear thing because pixel pitch is not the same, but larger pixels mean bigger, and better, images. Again for starters they can collect far more light than smaller pixels.

Having said that, 8 MP -> 1.4 MB seems as an aggressive compression.

nmos

Reaction score
Certainly not. Without factoring in the compression, a larger sensor will have larger pixels for the same number of pixels. It's not quite a linear thing because pixel pitch is not the same, but larger pixels mean bigger, and better, images.

Hold on there. The physical size of the pixels in the sensor have nothing to do with the amount of space (in MB) needed to store the resulting image.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Use vignette, set the size (MP) to its highest, and quality to superfine. Then take your picture.

Jpeg compression sucks, doesn't it. I wish we had the option for RAW format as well as png.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use vignette, set the size (MP) to its highest, and quality to superfine. Then take your picture.

Jpeg compression sucks, doesn't it. I wish we had the option for RAW format as well as png.

I got 4+mb

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Anathema

Reaction score
You guys have to remember how small the sensors are in these things. They aren't going to be 5mbs you're used to with your camera because they aren't picking up as much detail with the smaller sensor.

This x1000 and this is why I would care more about a better lense than more MP.

welsalex

Reaction score
This x1000 and this is why I would care more about a better lense than more MP.

All in all its a phone WITH a camera. Considering how small it is and the space its packed into, its pretty impressive. If you want to have amazing photo quality like a pro, youd make like a pro and get a high end CAMERA. I expect an expensive phone to perform well across a wide range of tasks. But thats what it is, a machine designed to do lots of things. To expect it to take pro quality images on top of everything else is a little crazy. You want raw images at highres, pay the money for a device designed to do that.
Sorry im getting a little emotional here, but its pretty awesome to have a phone like the bionic that does everything so fast and easy.

Much love lol

ConqSoft

Reaction score
All in all its a phone WITH a camera. Considering how small it is and the space its packed into, its pretty impressive. If you want to have amazing photo quality like a pro, youd make like a pro and get a high end CAMERA. I expect an expensive phone to perform well across a wide range of tasks. But thats what it is, a machine designed to do lots of things. To expect it to take pro quality images on top of everything else is a little crazy. You want raw images at highres, pay the money for a device designed to do that.
Sorry im getting a little emotional here, but its pretty awesome to have a phone like the bionic that does everything so fast and easy.

Much love lol

That's true, but other Android phones have GREAT cameras, so we know it's possible.

welsalex

Reaction score
That's true, but other Android phones have GREAT cameras, so we know it's possible.

True true. No resentment about it though. Just saying for what we get its pretty sweet. We all know everything cant be perfect. Bionic takes good pictures if you spend the time to focus it and execute the perfect shot lol. Im using this 300 dollars to the max as is lol.