1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

8MP pictures are all less that 1MB in size

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by dcruff, Oct 5, 2011.

1. dcruff

dcruff New Member

Is it really possible for an 8MP picture to be that small of a file size. The pictures don't even appear to be of a high resolution. They look less than 2MP.
  2. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Have you pulled one off of your phone and checked the size? It's got to be bigger than 1mb.
  3. dcruff

dcruff New Member

Yep, that's when I first noticed the small file size. Then I looked at the DCIM folder on the phone and verified that the pictures were all around 900k.
  4. tgyberg

I've got one here that is 3264x1840 and it's 2.12mb. And that was with my camera set at 6mp.
  5. dcruff

dcruff New Member

I'm set at 8MP and I just cleaned the lens and got a new picture at 1554 KB. Still much smaller than it should be.
  6. dcruff

dcruff New Member

Actually, I had it wrong. At 6MP (wide screen) all of my pictures are about 950k. Now when I choose 8MP, the pictures are about 1.5MB
  7. dcruff

dcruff New Member

I just took another 8MP picture indoors with the flash and the picture came in at 1200 KB
  8. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

You guys have to remember how small the sensors are in these things. They aren't going to be 5mbs you're used to with your camera because they aren't picking up as much detail with the smaller sensor.
  9. dcruff

dcruff New Member

I understand that, but 8MP is 8MP. Doesn't each pixel take the same amount of bytes no matter how small the sensor is?
  10. tgyberg

My shot that made it over 2mb was an outdoor landscape shot. A lake with lots of greens and I think that's why it was bigger.
  11. dcruff

dcruff New Member

I'll have to try it again tomorrow during the day. But I still thought that the file size should have been bigger. Thanks.
  12. C3-PO

C3-PO Member

I'm sure it has to do with the compression algorithm that the phone is using. Try taking a picture with lots of different contrasting colors and see if this affects the file size.
  13. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

If the picture has a lot of the same/similar color, it will be smaller. Jpeg compression works like heuristic file compression.
  14. lykofos

lykofos New Member

The file sizes you are getting are pretty spot on for an 8mp phone camera. I do photography as a side business and a lot of people get confused by this. Megapixels (MP) and megabytes (MB) are not the same thing and are not really directly correlated to one another.

Megapixels are the unit of measurement for the sensor image resolution while megabytes are the unit of measurement for data storage. As others said, the saved size of your image depends on the phone's jpeg compression algorithm and how much detail, color, lighting, etc. are in the photo. Now if you're saving in a RAW format (which most basic cameras don't do), then you're file sizes would be much larger b/c there's no compression going on.
  15. tgyberg

^ That would be hilarious of a phone came with the RAW format option! Maybe one day!
  16. dcruff

dcruff New Member

I guess that my camera is working as spec'd. I just took an outdoors picture with lots of grass, trees and flowers. The file size is 2626 KB. The picture quality has improved remarkably since I cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth. I had a similar problem with my first Droid until I cleaned the lens.
  17. Anomander

Anomander New Member

Great explanation on the differences. It would be interesting to have the option to save as a raw file instead of jpeg since there are more editing options in Lightroom for raw files. What camera do you shoot with?
  18. lykofos

lykofos New Member

That would be a very cool option to save it as RAW and the SD card included with the phone is plenty big enough. Unfortunately, there probably will never be enough demand for a feature like that for them to include the option for a phone camera.

My primary is a Canon 40D and I also have a 20D as a back-up. You do photography too?
  19. yiannis

yiannis New Member

Certainly not. Without factoring in the compression, a larger sensor will have larger pixels for the same number of pixels. It's not quite a linear thing because pixel pitch is not the same, but larger pixels mean bigger, and better, images. Again for starters they can collect far more light than smaller pixels.

Having said that, 8 MP -> 1.4 MB seems as an aggressive compression.
  20. nmos

nmos New Member

Hold on there. The physical size of the pixels in the sensor have nothing to do with the amount of space (in MB) needed to store the resulting image.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
8mp image size
8mp camera picture size
8 mp camera file size
8mp camera file size
8mp picture
8mp image file size

8mp picture file size

8mp size

8mp file size

8mp resolution size