*82 and text messages

Data

Reaction score
When I send a text I get an error message saying invalid phone number, if I take out the *82 the message goes through, OK it's a pain but I can do that, but when they reply and I reply to them it won't go through because the phone is picking the phone number up from from my address book with the *82 in it so to reply I have to start a new massage, is there setting I have wrong or is there a work around? I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem but I have search the Forum and found very little.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The text message apps will use the number listed as Mobile in you contacts.
Not sure of any way around it.

OP
Data

Data

Reaction score
Ok am I the only one with this issue? How is everyone with a blocked number getting around this? Thanks Mike

R1Lover

Reaction score
I don't think there are too many people with blocked numbers... why do you want to hide? Your going to talk to the person your calling right? lol

OP
Data

Data

Reaction score
Not trying to hide I use my phone for business and personal, sometimes vendors don't want to answer (when there being bad). My personal contacts are all unblocked. And that's the one's I want to text to.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I would unblock your phone and then block on a per contact basis.

You can open up your number and block each call or contact just like you are unblocking them. *67 will block it.

OP
Data

Data

Reaction score
Well that will work. I'll have a lot of numbers to block. And most of the time I'm taking numbers from invoices but I can type *67 and then the number. I thought maybe there was a easy way to do it. Thanks

OP
Data

Data

Reaction score
My number is blocked all the time so when I put *82 in front of it then it's unblocked, that's how I have my personal numbers in my contacts but then you cannot text from your contacts you have to type it in.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
You could use google voice and call through your google number to those bad vendors, I suppose.. But thats not really any easier than manually blocking on a call by call basis I suppose.

But using a google voice number has its benefits for the whole personal vs business thing. An example being able to have custom voicemail greetings based on the caller number, and being able to send certain numbers atraight to voicemail etc...it also lets you ring multiple phones from one number (the google number) so people can get in touch with you nomatter which phone your at. It doesn't replace your phone's normal number, so both your google voice number and phone number would still work at the same time.

pearsonistic

Reaction score
GREAT THREAD! I'm going changing my voicemail message to say "I won't answer blocked numbers, so dial *82 and call back." Hell yeah! That call blocking thing is so damn irritating!!

Any idea how to send texts to multiple recipients? Like, Tom Dick and Harry let's golf on sunday?

What about quick texts to callers? Like "I don't answer blocked calls. Dial *67 and try back."

Also, how do I enter the contact list from text messaging or do I have to start at the contact list to send a message?

Last edited:

sevkartal

Reaction score
I just purchased Motorola Droid 3. Forlast two years my wireless phone is my only phone, I do not have a land phone. Not to publicize my wireless number for daily casual phone calls, I got the excellent future, caller ID block with my Verizon plan.
This is the problem I am having with this phone:

I have about 80 contacts in my contact list. 30 out of 80 contacts in this list are my family and close friends.

For this 30 family and friends phone numbers field, in the contact list, I add *82(*82 and/or *821, I try both way) front of there phone numbers so they can recognize me when I am calling. For example: John Do *821-760-999-9999 (I also tried without dash’s and spaces between digits).

From my contacts when I select John Do, next to his mobile phone *821-760-999-9999 there is 2 icons, a phone and an envelope.
1)When I Click the phone icon, the phone initiate the call and shows John Do *821-760-999-9999 on the top field, displaying the person and phone number I am calling. Phone goes trough and the other side can see my ID.
2)When I click envelope icon, for IM, on top field displays “? (In red) *821-760-999-9999”another sub window pups up displaying “The message must contain valid recipients and content” and an OK button. Obviously the software can’t recognize *82, but this is not normal, when IM icon pressed the software should fetch this number from this field memory location formatted and /or filtered and use only last 10 digit and send the IM (Instant Message).

I try to work around this problem without success, below thinks that I try:

• I add another phone number to John Do “Other” in this field I entered 760-999-9999 (without *82). IT DOESN’T WORK the software automatically ad’s *82 front of the 760-999-9999 then same message “The message must contain valid recipients and content”.
  • I delete “Other” and “Mobil” phone numbers. I reenter only 10 digits “Mobil” number as 760-999-9999. IT DOESN’T WORK the software automatically ad’s *82 front of the 760-999-9999 then same message “The message must contain valid recipients and content”.
  • Thinking VZ backup assistant or Google backup refreshing *82, I disable them both. IT DOESN’T WORK the software automatically ad’s *82 front of the 760-999-9999 then same message “The message must contain valid recipients and content”.
  • I can’t reply to John Do’s IM message. . IT DOESN’T WORK the software automatically ad’s *82 front of the 760-999-9999 then same message “The message must contain valid recipients and content”.
Fornow from Android Market I install third party software called “Handcent SMS” from handcent.com working great with *82. I hope Motorola comes with a fix for this problem.

Last edited:

DJTURNz

Reaction score
AFAIK, your phone won't let you send a text to what it thinks is not a mobile number. So save their actual number as mobile, and the *82 number as WORK or even Work Fax and then set that as default for calling (otherwise it just makes you choose each time.)