720p vs. 1080p video - advice needed!!!

Gleason81

Reaction score
Do both settings record at 30fps? From your RAZR experiences...what are the advantages vs. disadvantages of 720p vs. 1080p video recording?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Do both settings record at 30fps? From your RAZR experiences...what are the advantages vs. disadvantages of 720p vs. 1080p video recording?

Seeing no replies to this since yesterday evening, I thought I'd jump in and give it some well-deserved attention. What I have seen is differences between 1080P and 720P versus the lower resolutions, where as the resolution is reduced the effective subject area gets larger, similar to if you were using a telephoto lens versus a wide angle lens where the wide angle is the lower resolutions.

Try it yourself. Point the camera at something that has good reference points for top, bottom, and sides in the image. Then change the resolution while looking. You'll notice that as the resolution goes down, you see more of the subject area around the subject, both height and width wise, and your subject gets smaller relative to the camera view. So lower resolutions may be better for taking videos of subjects closer up, and therefore the higher resolutions, such as 720P and 1080P would work better for subjects slightly farther away.

As for differences between 720P & 1080P, I can't detect any immediately on the camera, however I am sure the difference would be obvious on a full 1080P widescreen TV, something big like 48" or 50". I haven't seen any difference in responsiveness between either, but you can be sure the 1080P files will be larger for the same number of seconds/minutes recorded, so if space is an issue, you could consider 720P. I might also assume that the frame rates for both may be different as well, with the 1080P being a slower frame rate, however I have no evidence to prove this, it's just a hunch.

;)

Does anyone else wish to chime in?

EDIT: Found this on another site:

• Resolution: 8 megapixels
  • Flash: LED
  • Focus type: Autofocus
  • Video resolution: 1080p
  • Video framerate: 30

And this elsewhere:

Droid RAZR can record 120 fps video at 480p

And this elsewhere as well:

DROID RAZR XT912-Advanced HD video recording. It can record videos at 1080p at 30 fps and it can also record videos at 720p/120 fps.

Last edited:

mcsoul

Reaction score
I think it's best to have a class 10 micro-sd card when recording 1080p.

mcsoul

Reaction score
What's a class 10 micro sd card do? How do I know if I have it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Class 10 means the micro-sd card is faster on writes than class 2, 4, 6 or 8.
If your card does not say it's class right on it, it's probably not class 10.

If you try to record 1080p video on a slower class card, you will drop frames. The
video will look choppy and many folks try to inaccurately blame the phone. I'm
not saying it will look like a $10,000 Canon pro-sumer 1080p video camera when
you use class 10 micro-sd, but it will look better.

SallyC

Reaction score
The SD Association has the following recommendations:
Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, digital still camera (DSC) consecutive photo shooting
Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive photo shooting, professional video camera
Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still picture consecutive shooting

PCMag also had an article recently called Flash Memory Cards: What you need to know that you might find interesting.

There has been some discussion on if the Razr can utilize Class 10 speeds. Per Matt (Forums Moderator at Motorola support), "The Class 10 card will work at rated speed for video recording. But if you were loading the SD card with media from your PC, it would transfer at the Class 6 speed of about 8 MB/s."

Brostrom4

Reaction score
Class 10 means the micro-sd card is faster on writes than class 2, 4, 6 or 8.
If your card does not say it's class right on it, it's probably not class 10.

If you try to record 1080p video on a slower class card, you will drop frames. The
video will look choppy and many folks try to inaccurately blame the phone. I'm
not saying it will look like a $10,000 Canon pro-sumer 1080p video camera when
you use class 10 micro-sd, but it will look better.

Wow, ok. Well i have class 4... Im going to look into getting a class 10 then. need somewhere cheap to get one

Reaction score
Id say it would be very difficult to tell any differences from 720p to 1080p on a cell phone, besides size of the area like its already been said. I think the advantages of recording in 1080p would be if you were to display that video on a television.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score
I've noticed 1080p video is a bit choppy, but that may be due to my older card. Maybe it's time to upgrade (it's the card that came in my OG Droid; I might cry if I have to ditch it).

Brostrom4

Reaction score
To transfer info and data from one card to the other, you can just copy and paste right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk