6P on Verizon

Raydee35

Reaction score
I am planning to buy the 6P and can't decide if I want to use it on Project Fi or Verizon. I get a nice discount on Verizon through work that I would hate to give up. If anyone is familiar with the 6p and Verizon can I just take the sim card from my Samsung phone and cut it down to make it fit the 6p? Will I need to even call Verizon or can I just do the switch myself?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just do the switch yourself. That's what I did. I cut my own card down.

You can also go get a new sim card for free. Mine was pretty old & speed working. Took the 6P in & she gave me a new one no charge. Not sure if they'd charge you if there's not an issue with it, but won't hurt to try if you're not comfortable cutting it. Get the template that's floating around the internet somewhere. I did mine with a quality pair of scissors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
Ok so lets say I decide to get the new sim right from Verizon, will they charge me an activation fee? My plan is to give my wife my phone (both Samsung) so I am guessing I can just take out her sim card and insert it in my old phone without a problem as well?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Assuming they both use the same size sim, yeah, it's just a matter of swapping yours or & hers in. We've done this a couple times now. (My wife gets my hand-me-downs too).

They didn't charge me an activation fee, but I already had the card in my phone. She didn't seem to notice or care that I'd cut my own down. You're results may vary, obviously.

I was also at a premium retailer & not a Verizon corporate store. Not sure if that matters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
Ok good. I recently paid off both the phones I am using now and they knocked money off my bill. I don't know if buying a new phone would add the money back to my bill.

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
Assuming they both use the same size sim, yeah, it's just a matter of swapping yours or & hers in. We've done this a couple times now. (My wife gets my hand-me-downs too).

They didn't charge me an activation fee, but I already had the card in my phone. She didn't seem to notice or care that I'd cut my own down. You're results may vary, obviously.

I was also at a premium retailer & not a Verizon corporate store. Not sure if that matters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

How do you like the 6P? I am coming from the Note series and I am worried that I will miss some of the features the Note has. I am going with the 6P because I may switch to Fi so I think this is the best choice.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm loving it. I'm a bit of an android purist though. I had the S4 and then the Note 4 prior to this (&others before that). I found that I didn't use the s pen very much. Most other things the Note does, you can get apps to do similar things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok good. I recently paid off both the phones I am using now and they knocked money off my bill. I don't know if buying a new phone would add the money back to my bill.
If you buy a phone through them with a device payment plan, it will. The 6P isn't available through Verizon though. Usable on the network, but not sold at their stores/online.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
I'm loving it. I'm a bit of an android purist though. I had the S4 and then the Note 4 prior to this (&others before that). I found that I didn't use the s pen very much. Most other things the Note does, you can get apps to do similar things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
I really like the one handed operation on the note series, is there an app that will do the same on the 6p?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh... That's a good question. I never got into using that stuff. I believe there are keyboard apps that offer a layout pushed to one side, but I'm not sure about shrinking the whole screen if you like that feature.

I've got big hands & long fingers. I forget that not everyone does.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I use both thumbs. Never used any apps that allow one hand use. I also have big hands so the 6P feels small to me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried a couple of the options that the Note 4 offered. They seemed like nice features if you needed them, but it was my first BIG screen phone, so I wanted to push myself to see if I could use it more like I was used to. The S Pen was fun when I first got it, but as time went on, I got so used to using it one-handed most of the time that I almost never took the pen out.

My wife has been saying for a long time now that she'd like her next phone to be smaller, but she took the Note 4 when I got the 6P. I showed her some of the one-handed features, but I don't think she's bothered to use them much since then. And she's got dainty little hands. ;)

OP
R

Raydee35

Reaction score
Well I received my 6p today and I must say coming from the note series of phones I am a bit disappointed. The specs say the screen is the same size as my note 3 and even though it physically is the same when you use the phone there is quite a bit less usefull screen compared to my Note. I am going to play with it for a little bit but going down in screen size is not really what I wanted. Johnny did you also notice that coming from the note 4?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well I received my 6p today and I must say coming from the note series of phones I am a bit disappointed. The specs say the screen is the same size as my note 3 and even though it physically is the same when you use the phone there is quite a bit less usefull screen compared to my Note. I am going to play with it for a little bit but going down in screen size is not really what I wanted. Johnny did you also notice that coming from the note 4?

No, I didn't notice it, but I just grabbed the Note 4 & set it beside my 6P. I guess, if you consider the on-screen buttons, there is a little less "usable" real estate by a little bit, but watching a video, playing a game, or using any other truly full-screen app, those disappear & you've got the exact same screen size.

Sent from my Nexus 6P