67 72 65 65 74 69 6e 67 73

Sharayah.Arizona

Reaction score
Greetings to follow DROID users dancedroid Looking forward to learning from all of you. My interest today is about security (Antivirus, etc.) on the Android OS. Any comments?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome.....

AV is not needed IMHO......

OP
Sharayah.Arizona

Sharayah.Arizona

Reaction score
Interesting...

Just now taking time out to check replies. Thank you for the reply, however IMHO I hope we aren't being too arrogant in our thinking that with the new smart phones, that someone with ill intent wouldn't try to approach this OS with malware. According to the '2010 Barracuda Lab Report'
[http://www.barracudalabs.com/downloads/2010EndyearSecurityReportFINAL.pdf]
Google was "King of Malware" which is auto loaded on most Android systems. Therefore, it would stand to reason that this would be the first place to be hit with an attack of some type on Smart Phones.

I, for one, would hope that a pre-empted security package is being thought of (or possible out there already).

Thank you for your input! dancedroid

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome. the android police has been on top of things so let's hope it stays that way. of course things do happen. I don't use any antivirus, barely download anything I don't really need. I have more than enough security alerts for my emails and such that im quite confident it'll be hard for anything malicious to happen

Aloha from Hawaii...

OP
Sharayah.Arizona

Sharayah.Arizona

Reaction score
Hawaiian,

Thank you for your input. I'm glad you feel so confident, however I won't be joining that school of thought. Trends of malware changes (see aforementioned link) and I believe it is just a matter of time. However, this is just my opinion.

The main intent of me joining this forum was to get information about OS security, perhaps not so much on opinions of security. I believe that topic would raise much activity in another topic thread.

Any information on specifics is appreciated, thank you in advance.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
All malware is not "auto loaded", in the android environment it has all come from malware'd versions of stolen and relabeled apps that an innocent bystander downloads.

As for viruses, well, make one and you'll have the first.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hawaiian,

Thank you for your input. I'm glad you feel so confident, however I won't be joining that school of thought. Trends of malware changes (see aforementioned link) and I believe it is just a matter of time. However, this is just my opinion.

The main intent of me joining this forum was to get information about OS security, perhaps not so much on opinions of security. I believe that topic would raise much activity in another topic thread. [/FONT]

You may find this a little hard to believe but there are probably hundreds of antivirus threads. 99% of them have opinions not facts.

Fact is that if someone wants to launch a virus on android it's not as simple as it would be with windows. The platform that it sits on makes it much more difficult. But nobody can say impossible.

It's my opinion, just like on my iMac, virus protection is not necessary and in fact it's a resource hog and will, in time, cause problems for your phone.

OP
Sharayah.Arizona

Sharayah.Arizona

Reaction score
Not hard at all. Read some of them. Thus, the reason I came to this forum to get "facts" on the topic which you seem to supply. However, regardless of opinions, with not only the search tool, but free apps available, it is just a matter of time. History will underscore this "fact" which is not an opinion.

Now, for my opinion of replies: I believe there is perhaps familiarity with users on here - thus the defensive approach. Therefore, let me be the first to thank each of you that replies and close this thread. (before this goes the wrong way)

:icon_ banana: dancedroid :icon_ banana: dancedroid :icon_ banana:

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
thank u Hook

Hawaiian,

The main intent of me joining this forum was to get information about OS security, perhaps not so much on opinions of security. I believe that topic would raise much activity in another topic thread. [/FONT]

You may find this a little hard to believe but there are probably hundreds of antivirus threads. 99% of them have opinions not facts.

Fact is that if someone wants to launch a virus on android it's not as simple as it would be with windows. The platform that it sits on makes it much more difficult. But nobody can say impossible.

It's my opinion, just like on my iMac, virus protection is not necessary and in fact it's a resource hog and will, in time, cause problems for your phone.

Aloha from Hawaii...

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
im sorry u feel that way, I thought I read that u asked for any comments in ur intro. but yes it is best we close this. I see ur a systems analyst so im hoping u would help out in this area instead. but either way, have a great week. hope everything works out for u

Aloha from Hawaii...

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Welcome to the forum from another Tucsonan!!! I work downtown and live in Sahuarita.

As to your question regarding AVs. The opinion on them is spilt as you can see. I happen to use Lookout Mobile Security. But that app has more to offer than just AV. It also have a locater that I actually had to use and was grateful for it. So I think it is a personal choice. If you feel more secure with one then get it not no worries there either.