640k's Positive DROID Thread

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, well, well... I too love my Droid! I have found i got it to do everything my Curve did and more. The biggest and only drawback for me is battery life, BUT, I have made some miner adjustments and have achieved 16 hours. Advance Task Killer and 3G Watchdog are two very cool apps... Printer Share also allows you to print from phone to printer even in other locations in the world... Very, very cool considering I could never get Cortado to work for my Blackberry. Drooiiid... YOU ROCK!
I'm still not getting why people justify running other services to prevent sevices from running to get "imaginary" battery life. I achieved my 15hrs WITHOUT a task killer.

StarRider

Reaction score
Well, well, well... I too love my Droid! I have found i got it to do everything my Curve did and more. The biggest and only drawback for me is battery life, BUT, I have made some miner adjustments and have achieved 16 hours. Advance Task Killer and 3G Watchdog are two very cool apps... Printer Share also allows you to print from phone to printer even in other locations in the world... Very, very cool considering I could never get Cortado to work for my Blackberry. Drooiiid... YOU ROCK!
I'm still not getting why people justify running other services to prevent sevices from running to get "imaginary" battery life. I achieved my 15hrs WITHOUT a task killer.
Not sure if ATK is responsible for battery life or not but it does increase memory. The thing that I saw consuming most battery is the highest setting for the screen brightness. I turned that back and it made a big difference...

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
That percentage is relative to all tasks running in a given period of time. If the display is the only thing running (impossible), it would show 100% usage.

You can have 15hrs on auto-brightness. There's no sense in ruining the experience of a perfectly good device with a super-low brightness setting.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I've been using the lowest brightness setting on my Droid, and I've not had any problems with the quality of the display, indoors or out. It's a very bright display, overall... And it's good to know that I can always make it brighter if/when I'm in a situation that calls for it.

As far as battery-life goes, if I avoid the games, and use it solely as a phone/e-mail/web device, the battery life is impressive. Today, with almost 3 hours of actual talk-time, plus a few e-mails, texts, and one 10-minute web-browsing session, I've used 40% of the battery (according to the possibly-inaccurate meter.) So really, that's NOT bad at all. (But I'd bet I could get it down another 40% in an hour if I sat down and played Bejeweled or Sudoku. The games are just very hard on the battery for some reason... Probably the display being on 100% of the time while playing.)

Further, my GPS, Bluetooth, and background-sync are ALWAYS turned on. So I'm sure I'm losing some battery life there as well. (I just can't talk on the phone without my Bluetooth headset anymore... And the GPS really doesn't use THAT much battery, unless you're running an app that is actively pinging the GPS, so I don't bother with turning it on and off. And what's the point of having a smartphone without background-sync, really?)

So, all things considered, the battery life is good, for what the phone is doing for me. As with any battery-powered device, it'd be wonderful to get more life out of the battery without having to disable anything. But I'm sure the software folks are working hard to make things more efficient. I see the Droid with the amazing potential to get better and better as time goes on, as the software is patched/updated/etc...

I'll bet the nay-sayers out there really didn't give it a chance, or went in with a bias beforehand and didn't WANT to give the Droid a chance. But anyone who uses logic and reason will see that the Droid is an excellent (but not yet perfect) device, that will fulfill the needs of many (if not most) smartphone users out there. And it's on the best network in the country, too.

Do I have a few gripes about my Droid? Sure... There is no such thing as the "perfect" cell-phone, and the Droid is no exception.

But, do I absolutely LOVE my Droid? YES! 100% :heart: Despite it's few flaws, I can honestly say, it's the best cell phone FOR ME.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Power of the Long Tap. I see a LOT of "issues" brought up from people saying the Droid can't do something...only because they didn't do the Long Tap. I have to admit, I learned a lot from the Long Tap, and sometimes still find new options within apps when trying it.

Erich

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Power of the Long Tap. I see a LOT of "issues" brought up from people saying the Droid can't do something...only because they didn't do the Long Tap. I have to admit, I learned a lot from the Long Tap, and sometimes still find new options within apps when trying it.

That's an excellent point -- before complaining about the Droid being "defective," people should make sure they know what they're doing with it! RTFM, baby!

MInkyboi

Reaction score
Coming form a sidekick ID, the keyboard is pretty good in my eyes for such a small phone. i mean, the only thing good about sidekicks are their keyboards but i still like the droids.

i have to agree with all the points made. the only thing im wishing they had was an even darker screen setting for times when im in a completely dark room.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every DROID related site that I've been to, the naysayers/trolls seem to get the most amount of attention. I don't know if they were coddled by their parents well into their adult life or if they even own a DROID, but I wanted to start this thread to focus on the positive aspects and maybe hope to dispell some of the bad mouthing that's been going on.
Meh. It's a hot new device that's drawing attention. It's going to get good and bad attention. There are a lot of kids interested in it. There are a lot of people that buy on hype rather than research. I'm sure there are other reasons for the naysayers and trolls as well. This thread is well-intentioned but you're effectively tilting at windmills IMO. There will always be trolls and naysayers and the majority of forum posts will be complaints. It's their very nature.

boatman2220

Reaction score
I bought mine before any commercial was out that I know of. Went in to check out the Storm2, ( was thinking about replacing my Storm ) I played around with the Droid in the store and had a Verizon Guy there that had it down pretty well. I went home and did some research on the Droid. I was aware of the Android OS but hadn't picked up anything with it before. Went back and got the Droid after upgrading the Storm to the 5.0 OS. ( which by the way improved the Storm vastly ) I'm giving the Storm to a relative as a Christmas present. I only bought it a few months ago. :) Lots more Pros than Cons with this phone. I believe we're at ground base zero to a big explosion in phones. Like the commercial says, Droid Does. :motdroidhoriz::motdroidvert:

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every DROID related site that I've been to, the naysayers/trolls seem to get the most amount of attention. I don't know if they were coddled by their parents well into their adult life or if they even own a DROID, but I wanted to start this thread to focus on the positive aspects and maybe hope to dispell some of the bad mouthing that's been going on.
Meh. It's a hot new device that's drawing attention. It's going to get good and bad attention. There are a lot of kids interested in it. There are a lot of people that buy on hype rather than research. I'm sure there are other reasons for the naysayers and trolls as well. This thread is well-intentioned but you're effectively tilting at windmills IMO. There will always be trolls and naysayers and the majority of forum posts will be complaints. It's their very nature.
regardless, if people take less of a fanboi approach to talking about the device and stop feeding those trolls, real information will surface on its own.

who doesn't read the negative reviews, specifically, to find out what things people are complaining about, before making a decision?

if the number one complaint is battery life, that's going to turn alot of people off. imo, battery life is the LEAST of the DROID's problems.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
THIS IS THE POST I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!! Thankyou OP because everything you've stated is EXACTLY how I feel about my Droid. Of all the smartphones I've ever owned (Treo 600/650, Moto Q, PPC6700, Palm Pre, BB Storm I, iPhone), this thing does everything I want except a happy ending. It will only improve and unless there is a Motorola Droid II, then I actually think I may keep this phone for a while.

Best part is that you didn't just talk out of your ass. You substantiated your points and they actually make sense, or at the very least, causes you to rethink what you're doing when you are using your device. Bravo to you, 640k. BRAVO!!!

keiichi25

Reaction score
regardless, if people take less of a fanboi approach to talking about the device and stop feeding those trolls, real information will surface on its own.

who doesn't read the negative reviews, specifically, to find out what things people are complaining about, before making a decision?

if the number one complaint is battery life, that's going to turn alot of people off. imo, battery life is the LEAST of the DROID's problems.

Well, the problem is, there will be a slight 'fanboi' view on people rebutting some things, because there will always be biases introduced in people's views of a post.

I know when I post on forums, sometimes people look at the forum icon, a good example is Planetside. Back when I frequented their forum, many players there who piped in, believed I was strongly for one side of the game (This is a game that has 3 factions, and I just happen to have a forum Icon that favors one of those factions) Obviously, when I talked about anything regarding Balances with regards to weapons, some would say "No, cause you are obviously NC, you have no clue about problems with <our faction>!!!" Thing was, I also played their faction and understood some of the intention of the weapons and how they were used that people needed to understand just cause one side uses a weapon of a certain class one way, the other faction equivalent weapon is used in a different way.

Anyways, with regards to this phone versus other phones, people are always going to see a fair deal of the posters seem like, "Love it or leave it." type mentality, and unfortunately, there will be users who will post like that and reinforce the idea. For the most part, I try to play the devil's advocate, trying to get people to see the other side within reason and understanding. Doesn't mean it still won't digress in some form or manner, but one thing for sure, what tends to happen on forums is people will post 'at the heat of the moment'. And the best way to convince a person is just talk it out instead of trying to rabidly defend it. :)

keiichi25

Reaction score

That's an excellent point -- before complaining about the Droid being "defective," people should make sure they know what they're doing with it! RTFM, baby!

BTW, you do realize, the Droid doesn't come with a Manual. :)

Hard to RTFM without a manual in general.