6/25/2010 - BKAPPS/RSTAPPS Updated - Please Read

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Ha ha ha! No way, I'm out to dominate on my own! j/k of course!

Really though - I think it's great that all of you guys/gals have choices, so that you get more variation than if we did in fact collaborate. I think of it this way. We started with Metallica, Dave Mustaine got kicked out, and now we get to enjoy BOTH Metallica and Megadeth (although let's be honest, Megadeth has been romping over Slowtallica for years now ;) )

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I actually saw this a couple of times myself - and I also had Gtalk hidden. However, it's apparent that still some settings were restored from the backup, even though we were not running it ...

3. Tornado Rex

Tornado Rex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I realized it must have been because BB 1.1 you can't hide gtalk. I also had to re sign into Facebook. Overall though it restored all of my apps and settings so typing in a couple account's info wasn't a big deal :) Thanks a ton for all your hard work on both this feature and your great ROMs

4. tzenda

tzenda New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I downloaded this new file.... do I have to rename it to update.zip to install it

5. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    If you are using SPRecovery, yes - if using CWR, then no

Also - did you download from the 4.4 thread? The lastest version of bkapps is always in my latest downloadable ROM thread ...

ie: Index of /froyo/4.4

6. tzenda

tzenda New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ah no i did not... but i will now... thanks for the warning.

7. jbrock98

jbrock98 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got some force closes from applications when I did rstapps -a everything seems to be installed, when I made my back I did the bkapps -a command will any those force closes screw up anything (I was dumb and didn't pay attention to wat all the force closes was but I know some were framework related) I was coming from UD3.0.0, did it copied some applications that's non compatiable? And again is could anyrhing be screwed up?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    You SHOULD be ok with the FC's - they are happening because data is being restored while apps are running ...

Also - if you want a COMPLETE backup - you should be using -c, and not -a. What you ran backs up apps and data only; no accounts, no icons, etc. Which may be what you want!

9. Raziel36

Raziel36 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I'm smart enough to back everything up the old way before flashing a new rom, but I think it should be pointed out explicitly that rstapps only works on your rom. I wasted time trying to get it to restore my apps on BB. Pete's script helper is nice and all, but this is in a different league of usefulness. It can also screw people over that don't realize that if they prefer someone else's rom, that they are in for a headache, if they rely on your script. Almost seems like a way of forcing people to stay with your rom, or start over(if no other recent app backup was performed).

Edit: I really like your rom, but BB just works better for me... I've switched between the two often, and would likely end up back on yours again soon enough. To alienate supporters of your work, just because they rom hop a bit, doesn't seem like a good practice. I do appreciate your work, and hope you see my point is not to bash, but to simply(lol) give my view on this particular subject.

#57 Raziel36, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. Tornado Rex

Tornado Rex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I always thought that was common knowledge. It's not like Chevy is trying to hide that from anyone. Look through any of the threads and he tells you that you can flash bkapps to any rom but rstapps will stay with his roms. Every rom maker has their own little incentives to go with their particular rom, just like chevy has rstapps. I think it's perfectly fine how it is now.

11. jhammy49

jhammy49 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bkapps.zip link is down... ???

12. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5