[ROM] [6/18/12] CM9 ICS For the Droid Pro

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried flashing this ROM on my droid pro, and, well, there was a small hiccup.

I forgot to wipe the system values and cache and such. Anyway, now the phone gets stuck on the boot logo, and when I access the boot menu and try to go to CWM it says 'Error in E:/system/bootmenu/script/recovery.sh (No such file or directory is found)'.

I hate to be one of those members who only post when they need help but it's the only option left as going back to Motorola for servicing is kind of out of the question, due the fact that I live in Asia while the phone came from the US.

Anyway, I have tried everything googling the problem suggested - since the phone is stuck in the bootmenu I can't sbf the phone, and I can't access CWM so reflashing is impossible. Using adb does not seem to be possible either, since my computer does not seem to be able to detect the phone. Stock recovery does not work, either, it hangs at the logo of the android and the '!' symbol.

Bit of a pickle, no? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

From the bootmenu ...
Don't go to CWM ... instead go to stock recovery and wipe data and cache and reboot ... all should be fine !

Or

At the stock recovery hang screen press vol up + vol dn ...

--- Sent from my DROID Pro ---

Last edited:

darktheme

Reaction score
Don't go to CWM ... instead go to stock recovery and wipe data and cache and reboot ... all should be fine !

stock recovery doesn't work, it just gets stuck at the android logo. :(

mortimermax

Reaction score
Can also get into bootloader and SBF by pressing and holding Power+UP to boot the phone, release power button after about 5-10 seconds and you will be in bootloader mode.

**Edit, should clarify, above post was correct in that you should still be able to fix from stock recovery. A few versions ago motorola changed from the @ to Up+Down to get into the recovery menu. That is the better option. My above post was just to explain how you can still SBF since you said you couldn't.

Last edited:

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Can also get into bootloader and SBF by pressing and holding Power+UP to boot the phone, release power button after about 5-10 seconds and you will be in bootloader mode.

Yes but let's keep that as the last resort :)

darktheme

Reaction score
mortimermax and aiamuzz, thanks a lot for your help. you're right, it was a bit of noobness on my part with the stock recovery thing. i managed to wipe data and cache, but still no dice on getting the phone to start up properly - it still jams at the boot logo, and I have to do a battery pull. i didn't want to sbf, but i guess it's the only option left. moral of the story: always follow the instructions. :/

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Do you guys think this is stable enoughr for everyday use? I'm from eu, using stock 2.3.4, rooted, kernel 2.6.32.9, built 4.5.1-110-VNS-35.
I need gsm, no cdma, and gsm data with 3g, wifi and camera. everything else i can miss.

tnx for great work

I would stay away if you're a GSM user, some have had problems

@tevagoa ...

I think you can give it a shot ... if things don't pan out as per the procedure listed by JC in OP (only i seemed to have this problem) ... you can follow the alternate method that i have mentioned a few posts ago ... (by coming into CM9 directly from a GSM working CM7 ... without wiping Data/Cache - just format /system and flash the CM9-mac-fix zip and ics-gapps) and you'd have made the smoothest transition to a working CM9 for GSM ... the GSM settings from the earlier working CM7 will make this transition smooooooth .......

aiamuzz

Reaction score
JC ...

the CWM recovery 5.0.2.0 restore issue is back to plague me ...

I am not able to restore my .tar (CM7 & CM9) backups from CM9 ... So I am pretty much stuck here ... on Cm9 ... HELP APPRECIATED !!!

I am able the restore the same back files when I try to restore them from CM7 ...

Summary of the issue recovery wise ...

Bootstrap recovery : v. 2.x
makes .img backups
restores .imag backups

Droid X 2nd init recovery(flashed through ROM manager) : v. 5.0.2.0
Makes .tar backups
restores .img backups without any problems
DOES NOT RESTORE .TAR BACKUPS

JC's CM7 copy of the recovery(flashed through JC's CM7 ROM package) : v. 5.0.2.0
Makes .tar Backups
restores .tar Backups
restores .img Backups

JC's CM9 copy of the recovery(flashed through JC's CM9 ROM package) : v. 5.0.2.0
Makes .tar backups
restores .img backups without any problems
DOES NOT RESTORE .TAR BACKUPS

SEEMS LIKE THE CM9 COPY OF THE RECOVERY IS FAULTY(DOES NOT RESTORE .TAR BACKUPS) ...
JUST LIKE THE DROID X 2 INIT I HAD FLASHED THROUGH ROM MANAGER !!!

CAN ONE OF YOU SEE IF THIS ISSUE REPLICATES ON YOUR DEVICES AS WELL ... JUST MAKE A
BACKUP OF YOUR CM9 AND TRY TO RESTORE IT !!! ... JUST TO TEST ...

CAUTION : IF INDEED THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE CM9 COPY OF THE RECOVERY THEN YOU MAY HAVE TO COME BACK TO
CM9 WITH A FRESH INSTALL ....... SO PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE TOO MANY APPS INSTALLED ON YOUR CM9 CAN TEST THIS BUG ...

thanks,

Last edited:

mroody

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I installed this ROM yesterday, it was my first ROM install and it went fairly smooth. The main issue I have had is that the phone freezes suddenly and randomly.When it freezes one of two things may happen,
A) the phone will automatically reboot
B) It will give me a warning that the app has stopped working and gives me an option of waiting or closing.

I have installed an overclock app that i mainly use to help with battery life and also an app killer because I haven't yet found a Task Manager app similar to the stock one on GB.

My question(s) are has anybody else experienced these issues? If so, what has been done to stop the freezing?

Thanks to the Dev team who put this together, when its not freezing, it runs super smooth.

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks to the Dev team who put this together, when its not freezing, it runs super smooth.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. The Pro is simply underpowered and our kernel isn't meant to run the ICS. Any time there's a large task or a lot of tasks to run, it will do that. There's a lot of compatibility flags added into ICS to make it run on a phone that was only meant to run as high as Gingerbread. I don't see it getting much better than it is :/ maybe a better kernel will help, but with Moto's locked bootloaders, that won't ever happen :(

Last edited:

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the freezing issues, too. Like Jackpot said, the phone is just not that powerful of a phone for these days, and without an optimized kernel, it's going to have issues from time to time. I went back to CM7 to see what it was like, but I think I'm going to come back to CM9. Even with the ICS theme, CM7 just isn't the same. I'll give it a few more days, though.

Jackpot...time to start working on Jelly Bean, and put Project Butter to use. :p

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the freezing issues, too. Like Jackpot said, the phone is just not that powerful of a phone for these days, and without an optimized kernel, it's going to have issues from time to time. I went back to CM7 to see what it was like, but I think I'm going to come back to CM9. Even with the ICS theme, CM7 just isn't the same. I'll give it a few more days, though.

Jackpot...time to start working on Jelly Bean, and put Project Butter to use. :p

Hi freak4dell ... when u come back to CM9 ... do u come clean with a fresh install ... or restore to a previously saved CM9 backup ?

If u come clean ... can u please take a nandroid backup of the clean CM9 install(even before u setup anything on the fresh CM9 install) ... and try to restore back the same backed up copy of CM9 ... my guess is u should encounter ... error while restoring /system ! ... that'll will confirm the restore bug in the CM9 recovery ... I am trying to report ... if u do encounter that bug ... u can reflash the CM9 zip and proceed to ur standard setup ...

Thnx

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Hi freak4dell ... when u come back to CM9 ... do u come clean with a fresh install ... or restore to a previously saved CM9 backup ?

If u come clean ... can u please take a nandroid backup of the clean CM9 install(even before u setup anything on the fresh CM9 install) ... and try to restore back the same backed up copy of CM9 ... my guess is u should encounter ... error while restoring /system ! ... that'll will confirm the restore bug in the CM9 recovery ... I am trying to report ... if u do encounter that bug ... u can reflash the CM9 zip and proceed to ur standard setup ...

Thnx

Yeah, I'll come back with a clean install. The only data I care about protecting are my call logs and my texts, and I do that with apps. Everything else that's important is backed up to the cloud or the SD card.

I'll try and remember to test that out if and when I do flash back.

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll come back with a clean install. The only data I care about protecting are my call logs and my texts, and I do that with apps. Everything else that's important is backed up to the cloud or the SD card.

I'll try and remember to test that out if and when I do flash back.

Thank you so much ... I'll look forward to your test result ...