[KERNEL] 6.16.214 Ics Upgrade Leak (To Be Installed From 211 Ics)

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It's that time again folks... leaked updates! (Yay~!)

This time I got a special treat. I did not want to leave my comfortable place with safestrap installed and booted on Arctic Rom on 211 to fastboot the 6.12.181 files, re-upgrade to 211 stock, upgrade to 214 just to see a small difference in the kernel. Therefore. I pulled and patched the biggest part of this leak update which is the boot.img (New ICS 4.0.4 kernel, hopefully fixing issues with battery life people have on 211 now!).

So two things today:
To root using the little utility, choose the option to flash the 6.14.85 boot.img, boot normally (have USB Debugging Enabled from Settings>Developer Options and the USB Mode set to MTP or Camera with latest moto drivers installeddrivers installed).

Then choose the root option in the utility, then go back to AP Fastboot and choose the option for 214 or 211, your choice. I suggest 214 since its newer
smile.png

This will NOT get you stuck on an ICS leak and can be downgraded to 211 if you choose (or even 6.14.84 if you really wanted too.).

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
First off once again great work sir, I will have to buy you another beer when I get paid.

For some reason though I can't seem to get root back after applying the update. Did the update and it worked just fine my system is now .214.

I went into AP Fastboot and changed the boot.img to .85 and rebooted like normal. Opened the Utility and chose option 1 with my phone on MTP mode and of course the USB Debugging and unknown sources was still checked.

Phone rebooted twice and I got the ID of 0 on both entries, so I continued to another reboot and it said my phone should be rooted. Booted back into AP fastboot and changed my boot.img back to .214 and rebooted like normal with still no root access.

Should I maybe try again? Also that is a lot of reboots through that whole process :)

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
First off once again great work sir, I will have to buy you another beer when I get paid.

For some reason though I can't seem to get root back after applying the update. Did the update and it worked just fine my system is now .214.

I went into AP Fastboot and changed the boot.img to .85 and rebooted like normal. Opened the Utility and chose option 1 with my phone on MTP mode and of course the USB Debugging and unknown sources was still checked.

Phone rebooted twice and I got the ID of 0 on both entries, so I continued to another reboot and it said my phone should be rooted. Booted back into AP fastboot and changed my boot.img back to .214 and rebooted like normal with still no root access.

Should I maybe try again? Also that is a lot of reboots through that whole process :)

You could try the ICS 4.0.4 Root for Razr: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading DroidRazrRoot404.zip

If you see a Superuser.apk already on your phone then you should try removing the lines in the batch file that deal with Superuser.apk

Sorry your having issues... I will do my best to get you set up.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The super user APK was still on my phone under the system/app folder, but after running that utility you linked it is gone and that utility didn't root it either.

Going to try your method again and boot into the .85 img and see what happens, will report back.

Root is not make or break for me, especially since that .214 upgrade seems nicer than .211. Things appear to be more fluid and a better experience so far, thanks again for giving us the way to get to this leak.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Went through the whole process again and still no root, which isn't the end of the world.

The only thing I wanted to note that I am not sure if it is a factor or not, but that second to last reboot right before you get the ID of 0 my phone become pretty unresponsive after it was booted up. My soft keys would be lit up but my screen was off, if my screen came on I was unable to unlock it.

The utility still did its thing though and said I should be rooted, but checked and no super user app or root access.

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Went through the whole process again and still no root, which isn't the end of the world.

The only thing I wanted to note that I am not sure if it is a factor or not, but that second to last reboot right before you get the ID of 0 my phone become pretty unresponsive after it was booted up. My soft keys would be lit up but my screen was off, if my screen came on I was unable to unlock it.

The utility still did its thing though and said I should be rooted, but checked and no super user app or root access.
That behavior after step 2 of this root is normal. The fact that it did not error means it should have worked, we have had multiple people test the root exploits on the 214 kernel. Just go to stock 211, root, and upgrade the boot.img to 214 only.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Utility v 1.71 option 2 get me back to stock .211?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Roger that Batman, thanks.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
What differences have you guys noticed on this leak? I know some people complained that the OTA ICS sometimes has problems playing embedded video, battery life was worse, and the notification icons are really small.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What differences have you guys noticed on this leak? I know some people complained that the OTA ICS sometimes has problems playing embedded video, battery life was worse, and the notification icons are really small.

Phone definitely has less lag than .211, I never had a problem with battery life and still don't from what I can tell. Also never noticed a problem with the notifications or embedded videos. Only problem I was experiencing was the lag, so .214 seems to have fixed that for me.

akiles

Reaction score
Matt, I'm sorry for the question dude, but I am utterly confused with all the version numbers.
I have *.211, which I've installed from your utility (1.7)
The 6.7mb file will upgrade me to *.214? That tiny file?
I understand this version does not have a root method yet. So the 2nd file, will allow me to use an old boot image which has a root method and after this i can flash the newer *.214 and preserve root?
Did I get this right? This seems easy enough and I was looking for an easy way to go to *.214 to see if this would fix my radio and battery issues.

Thanks again, and sorry for the questions... I lost track of the version numbers, and moto does not help naming their files with different numbers :}