6.1 RC5 has dropped

Discussion in 'Koush' started by droidkevlar, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you change any other posts other than the one discussing titanium? And that may prove to be useful. When I tried putting the MIUI music player in /system/app(that's the only way it will work with changed permissions), it said there wasn't enough room in /system/app for the .apk. So, I just deleted the genie widget

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

2. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Maybe but the titanium one I thought you might be interested. Ya... what I do is use root explorer and 'filter' sort by name or size to hunt down maybe duplicates, something I don't need, etc in /system/app

For example there is one called CMWallpapers or something like that in /system/app that gets installed which I don't need and is rather large so I delete it freeing up space for other things in /system/app. Of course I always have a backup just in case the delete button goes haywire... lol Because if I don't things can get ugly and then I have to resort to something like adb with the phone running recovery, mounting partitions putting things back together... lol :)

#86 captdroid, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  3. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely. I've had it downloaded but I haven't bothered to see if there were any changes or anything. If I liked the CMWallpapers that much, I would just backup the apk and then install from my SD card. I think that would free up space without filling it back up if it's from the SD. And I have no idea how to use adb and all that so hopefully I never run into that problem. Would not be good. Since CM comes with terminal and spare parts, couldn't I delete them from the system and then download them from the market and leave that space open? And what is DSPManager for? I've never used it

4. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Here is a good rundown what can and "can't" be deleted: Barebones - CyanogenMod Wiki
    But doesn't always hold true. For example I delete ADW app the stock launcher, the stock keyboard (two apps), etc because I don't need them :)

You can always get the files back out of the ROM zip but if the wrong .apk's are deleted (or worse) such as lets say the phone.apk then your into adb (putting files back and setting permissions from a command prompt) or restoring a backup or flashing an update.zip with the phone.apk or reflashing the ROM :)

You want DSPManager... it's the built in music equalizer. Generally speaking you want most free space in /data/app.

#88 captdroid, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, okay. I'll check that out. The main things I would delete are apps that you can download from the market that came with the ROM.

And yeah, I don't think I'll be deleting the phone.apk haha. Hopefully I don't run into any issues. And yeah, I've heard of adb and everything but I've never used it. I probably would just, if I could, reflash the ROM.

6. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How people can flash custom roms, load custom kernels, but have no idea what adb is or how to use it -- SAD. Facepalm.

7. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what it is. I just have never used it because it was initialy developed for developers and I can do everything that I'd need it for with RE

8. Stories

Stories Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This latest version is fantastic! Battery life is greatly improved!

9. droiddadi

droiddadi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellant ROM only problem is redraws got worse. Didn't have any redraws with nightly 195.

10. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not had a single redraw. Using compcache as well and that isnt lagging like people say after a day or so. I am using LP and in CM settings, have lock home checked. I also came from a fresh install. WWhat about yourself?

11. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Have lock home checked in CM settings no additional hacks and no compcrap.. I mean compcache... :icon_twisted: No slow redraws whatsoever and super fast. :)

12. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the reason you call it compcrap? Would like to know the reasons ppl dont like it. As it speeds my phone up and when opening big apps, it even better.