5th droid now are they the rubbish that i'm thinking they are?

COBug

Reaction score
WOW! I have never heard so many complaints! I am glad that my experience is much different!
I switched from Alltel to VZW in March of this year. I had been running Alltel phones on VZW carrier for quite a while and our Moto Q9C's were not playing well with VZW's service. So, we went to the VZW store with our 5 phones and switched EVERYTHING. Now, please keep in mind.... we had VZW service many years ago. It was marginal in my area and they let me out of my contract with no fees because they couldn't fix the issue. I was EXTREMELY hesitant about going back to VZW. They even let me use a phone for a week to make sure it worked before I transferred the service. I was not under contract with ANYONE. I also tried an AT&T Iphone..... the phone was OK, but the service was TERRIBLE!
I got a Moto Droid, My wife and my son got the HTC Eris, my daughter and daughter in law got LG Chocolate touch's.
Everything went smoothly... other than the rep botching the details a bit.... easily fixed with a call to customer service.
Fast forward 1 month.... My son's Eris went nuts! I went to the store, they looked at the phone and did a factory reset. The phone was good for about 2 days and went nuts again. I called 611 and got tech support. They sent out a CLNR. This phone was terrible, I called them again and they sent another. This one seemed pretty good.... he ran the phone for a week and it went nuts again. Customer service eventually ended up sending 5 total CLNR phones. After the 5th phone in 2 months time, I called back and talked to tech support again. They were very sorry that this was happening. I told them that I understood their policy about replacements, but the Eris was just a bad phone. They offered a Droid2 immediately. I got it in 2 days and haven't had an issue since.
My wife still had the Eris. Hers was flawless until about 3 months into it. It had random glitches, but they were mostly user created. At the 3 month mark, it began to shut down by itself. I called tech support and they IMMEDIATELY sent me a HTC incredible. Again, no more issues.
My Moto Droid was still flawless. I subject this phone to a construction environment. Dust, shock, impact, ect. It has been one tough piece of hardware! My earpiece went out. I called VZW and they sent me out a CLNR. It has been completely flawless! It actually works better than my original Droid!
Now, I don't root, I do run a ton of apps, as does my son. Both my sons D2 and my wifes Dinc were CLNR products. ALL were in NEW condition. They received NEW backs and NEW batteries and chargers.
Call me lucky, but I have no issues with CLNR phones and if I did, they would send me anther. As long as the phone works, I don't care if it's refurbished or not. I have purchased refurbished Ipods, GPS units, Cameras, ect. I have NEVER had an issue with a refurbished unit. If it does fail, it has a warranty. CALL and speak with someone about your issue. Don't act like an idiot when you talk to them.... They didn't refurbish the device nor did they make the rules. They just work for that company and they have to follow the companies rules or they lose their job! CS has more options than the stores do. Above all..... BE NICE! You would be amazed at what can be accomplished if you speak to someone like they have 1/2 a brain. If you act like an idiot, they will usually shut you out. If you can't get anywhere with the CS you spoke with, CALL BACK... 99% of the time, you will get a different representative and they will give you a different answer. EVENTUALLY you will get what you want. If you are trying to CHEAT the system, you are most likely gonna get burnt though. JMHO.... it hasn't NOT worked for me yet.

I'm glad your relationship with Verizon is so solid. Please don't assume that I was anything but professional in my dealings with them. I have 1/2 a brain and speak to people like they have a full brain. I am not cheating the system, I was willing to pay but when people use bait-and-switch tactics, I just bow out from their game and go somewhere else. You sure do make a lot of generalizations, you might want to consider not doing that anymore.

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
I am on my 3rd droid and had a 4th sent, which I am returning becuz it is defective (I didn't even activate it) the screen roated 1/8 in & did not stay inplace until slider locked open. The other 2, my 1st & new one's screen went crazy, same with 2nd, this one is my 3rd & 2nd refurb, and thanks to "Droid DOES" I am keeping this one. I too had asked how many reburbs I had to suffer before I was given a "new" one or another "new model" and was told never. That being said, I will return the defective refurb replacement, keep this one, & if I have any more probs I will metophorically screem until I get what I paid for, a new phone.

I DO LOVE MY DROID 1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

b_salgado

Reaction score
I'm glad your relationship with Verizon is so solid. Please don't assume that I was anything but professional in my dealings with them. I have 1/2 a brain and speak to people like they have a full brain. I am not cheating the system, I was willing to pay but when people use bait-and-switch tactics, I just bow out from their game and go somewhere else. You sure do make a lot of generalizations, you might want to consider not doing that anymore.
I could really care less about ANY company. So it being "solid" are your words not mine. I have found that if I don't get the services that I am paying for, there is ALWAYS a solution that will work out. I have used this policy on VZW and it DOES work. There's nothing magical about it. You just need to talk to the right person.
I have also found that MOST people think that EVERYONE owes them something for nothing. Now, with that being said... I see it daily. It drives me nuts when I see some of the things that people demand and want when they are usually the ones that caused the issue. As far as cheating the system.... There are more people that try to do it than not. Once again, I see this daily.
Bait and switch... not sure what you mean by this. IF it's in writing, then they cant SWITCH anything! If they switch anything without your authorization, you can take legal recourse. Before you go getting your panties in a bunch, make sure there is NO VERBIAGE that will cover their butts. If there is, you probably signed a form when you accepted the contract with the same verbiage. Once again, people don't read and pay attention to paperwork before they sign.
I will agree that they do have a "game" going, and it's making money. If you know how to use their features to your benefit, you come out pretty good in the end. I use almost twice as many minutes that are on my plan and I never get an additional charge on my bill. I thinks that's a pretty good plan. I am not cheating the system.... I am simply using it to it's FULL potential.
I see people daily that go into a store or retailer of sorts that DEMAND this or DEMAND that. I go in, knowing policies already. I ASK to speak to the manager. I can usually get any issues corrected pretty quickly. This goes for ANY store. If I can't get anywhere with their $15/hr manager, I'll talk to the regional manager. NEVER talk to an associate. Same goes for on the phone. If you have tried the whole phone loop deal and you are still not satisfied, call back! Ask to speak directly to a manager and your issues will be resolved 99% of the time.
Not saying that YOU have 1/2 a brain at all, but from what I have seen and dealt with, MOST of the people on the planet are wired this way. It's not that they're stupid.... they just didn't do their homework and know what they were doing before they did it. This makes them angry and they don't know how to deal with it.
Now, as you go about your day to day business, see if what I just said isn't true. If you have spent any time in a retail environment you will see exactly what I am talking about. This is why I made this comment. YES it was a generalization.... because there are more people that do things EXACTLY the way I stated in my original post, than there are people that do it the way I described above. I cannot single out the ones that MIGHT do things properly..... there are simply just not enough of them!:icon_ banana: Therefore the GENERALIZATION holds!

cpjr

Reaction score
Guess Im the luckiest person in the world, in about 9 years and about 20 different cell phones.......I've had 1 small issue with 1 phone, ever. I know there are lemons that get sent out, but it boggles me to understand how a single person can get sooooo many of them like some people here.

COBug

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd droid and had a 4th sent, which I am returning becuz it is defective (I didn't even activate it) the screen roated 1/8 in & did not stay inplace until slider locked open. The other 2, my 1st & new one's screen went crazy, same with 2nd, this one is my 3rd & 2nd refurb, and thanks to "Droid DOES" I am keeping this one. I too had asked how many reburbs I had to suffer before I was given a "new" one or another "new model" and was told never. That being said, I will return the defective refurb replacement, keep this one, & if I have any more probs I will metophorically screem until I get what I paid for, a new phone.

I DO LOVE MY DROID 1

It is pretty sweet. Remember that each of your CLND have a 3 month warranty unless you are still covered by your original warranty. If you have a replacement issue, be sure to cover it in that time. I'm sure you already knew that, but just wanted to repeat that, just in case.:)

COBug

Reaction score
Guess Im the luckiest person in the world, in about 9 years and about 20 different cell phones.......I've had 1 small issue with 1 phone, ever. I know there are lemons that get sent out, but it boggles me to understand how a single person can get sooooo many of them like some people here.

I have never had problems until the Droid1. I shouldn't have brought in that first one but the headphone jack was hosed and I wanted to be able to use it as a radio/mp3 player as well. The CLND from Verizon, as it relates to the original MotoDroid1 are the culprits, I think. Otherwise, I would also not have any problems.

COBug

Reaction score
I could really care less about ANY company. So it being "solid" are your words not mine. I have found that if I don't get the services that I am paying for, there is ALWAYS a solution that will work out. I have used this policy on VZW and it DOES work. There's nothing magical about it. You just need to talk to the right person.
I have also found that MOST people think that EVERYONE owes them something for nothing. Now, with that being said... I see it daily. It drives me nuts when I see some of the things that people demand and want when they are usually the ones that caused the issue. As far as cheating the system.... There are more people that try to do it than not. Once again, I see this daily.
Bait and switch... not sure what you mean by this. IF it's in writing, then they cant SWITCH anything! If they switch anything without your authorization, you can take legal recourse. Before you go getting your panties in a bunch, make sure there is NO VERBIAGE that will cover their butts. If there is, you probably signed a form when you accepted the contract with the same verbiage. Once again, people don't read and pay attention to paperwork before they sign.
I will agree that they do have a "game" going, and it's making money. If you know how to use their features to your benefit, you come out pretty good in the end. I use almost twice as many minutes that are on my plan and I never get an additional charge on my bill. I thinks that's a pretty good plan. I am not cheating the system.... I am simply using it to it's FULL potential.
I see people daily that go into a store or retailer of sorts that DEMAND this or DEMAND that. I go in, knowing policies already. I ASK to speak to the manager. I can usually get any issues corrected pretty quickly. This goes for ANY store. If I can't get anywhere with their $15/hr manager, I'll talk to the regional manager. NEVER talk to an associate. Same goes for on the phone. If you have tried the whole phone loop deal and you are still not satisfied, call back! Ask to speak directly to a manager and your issues will be resolved 99% of the time.
Not saying that YOU have 1/2 a brain at all, but from what I have seen and dealt with, MOST of the people on the planet are wired this way. It's not that they're stupid.... they just didn't do their homework and know what they were doing before they did it. This makes them angry and they don't know how to deal with it.
Now, as you go about your day to day business, see if what I just said isn't true. If you have spent any time in a retail environment you will see exactly what I am talking about. This is why I made this comment. YES it was a generalization.... because there are more people that do things EXACTLY the way I stated in my original post, than there are people that do it the way I described above. I cannot single out the ones that MIGHT do things properly..... there are simply just not enough of them!:icon_ banana: Therefore the GENERALIZATION holds!

I guess you'll continue the generalizations.

As for getting "panties in a bunch," please check the length of your email versus my previous post.

A "bait-and-switch," is not where you sign for something and get something else. It's an illegal practice of advertising, then either redirecting you (by saying you don't have any in stock or less obvious maneuvers) to a more expensive product. Yup, it's illegal. In my case, the rep told me that I can get an early upgrade, 50% off the price of the upgrade, and the hanger was that I would have to get a new 2 year contract. I called back, no 50% off. Bait then switch. I'm not trying to whine or moan about this, I simply let others know what happened to me and am simply switching to a competitor. Sorry for the length of my email, I just wanted to explain the bait-and-switch thing. This is a friendly community, let's try to keep it that way.

Mortiel

Reaction score
I'm glad your relationship with Verizon is so solid. Please don't assume that I was anything but professional in my dealings with them. I have 1/2 a brain and speak to like they have a full brain. I am not cheating the system, I was willing to pay but when people use bait-and-switch tactics, I just bow out from their game and go somewhere else. You sure do make a lot of generalizations, you might want to consider not sound that anymore.

Well i'm not sure what place you called, but with Verizon customer care, all managers are there for really is de-escalation of an irate customer. The care agents are the ones doing all the work on you account. Hell, most of the time, its the agent that knows the most loop-holes, if you know what to ask, and if you get a half intelligent agent.

Personally, being that I am a manager somewhere, I can say that I would be less inclined to help a customer whom feels the need to bypass people that are paid to help them, and come bug the manager who is there to supervise workers and do paperwork. Just saying.

I will however, appaud anyone whom advocates people educating themselves on the contacts they sign, and for that you get major kudos from me.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using DroidForums App

Mortiel

Reaction score

I guess you'll continue the generalizations.

As for getting "panties in a bunch," please check the length of your email versus my previous post.

A "bait-and-switch," is not where you sign for something and get something else. It's an illegal practice of advertising, then either redirecting you (by saying you don't have any in stock or less obvious maneuvers) to a more expensive product. Yup, it's illegal. In my case, the rep told me that I can get an early upgrade, 50% off the price of the upgrade, and the hanger was that I would have to get a new 2 year contract. I called back, no 50% off. Bait then switch. I'm not trying to whine or moan about this, I simply let others know what happened to me and am simply switching to a competitor. Sorry for the length of my email, I just wanted to explain the bait-and-switch thing. This is a friendly community, let's try to keep it that way.

Bait and Switch is an illegal advertising practice to which a business advertises one product or service (bait), then attempts to sell you another product or service stating the other is not available for some reason (switch). If the company uses the disclaimer WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, this gets them off the hook.

To me it sounds as if you talked to a misinformed agent, mate... The only permanent upgrade options Verizon offers is the 1 year or 2 year contract promotional prices, then the New Every 2 discount, which may be $30 or $50, depending on if its a primary or secondary line on the account. No 50% off at all.

Sent from my SCH-I400 Continuum using DroidForums App

COBug

Reaction score
Yeah, the rep asked his supervisor while I was on hold about extending this offer and reported that he would take 50% off of the subsidized price of the phone. I was pretty moved by the gesture and was planning on 1) Not taking the update because I actually got a CLN droid with which I was pretty happy and 2) letting the current contract go to its length and get a normal new-every-two discounted subsidized phone when July rolled around expecting that maybe newer better phones might be out by then, and staying with Verizon. I think his efforts definitely encouraged me to stay with Big Red.

I emailed him the next day after playing with my friend's Droid X and reported that I was interested. When he finally got around to calling me back, another rep called and when I inquired about this deal the previous agent offered him, she spoke with her supervisor/manager and told me the offer was no longer valid. I said I wasn't interested and I figured on switching to Sprint. I was cordial and professional throughout this entire misadventure and just decided that if Big Red didn't want to offer a $75 discount for extending my contract another 24 months, at 80/month, then I could take my money elsewhere. I didn't want to argue or anything, just wanted this to go away. I must admit, it left a bad taste in my mouth towards Verizon. I think this kind of thing would just as easily happen to me at Sprint, but maybe a change isn't a bad thing, after all. I've had Big Red ever since I've owned a cellular phone and I should probably try something else. I'll switch back if Sprint is so terrible, but in Denver, where I live, Sprint has the 2nd best service, so I'm game...plus WIMAX is already active. I think that my family and my own service plans probably only amount to $300.00 per month, which over 24 months is $7200.00 in gross revenue for them, so I understand their decision not to help me out in this circumstance and I've only owned a cellular phone for 6 years, all with them, so I haven't exactly been a longterm customer.

Either way, I'm sure this experience probably doesn't belong on this forum. I will say that current CLND is better because it doesn't have a defective OS loaded into it, so I'm willing to settle. The slider is so loose that it literally flies open when I take it out of its holster. I've had to settle on this machine because I've seen how bad it COULD get and I'll stick with this one. 6th refurbed unit is where I stop. Thanks for explaining everything to me.

Last edited:

Mortiel

Reaction score
Yeah, the rep asked his supervisor while I was on hold about extending this offer and reported that he would take 50% off of the subsidized price of the phone. I was pretty moved by the gesture and was planning on 1) Not taking the update because I actually got a CLN droid with which I was pretty happy and 2) letting the current contract go to its length and get a normal new-every-two discounted subsidized phone when July rolled around expecting that maybe newer better phones might be out by then, and staying with Verizon. I think his efforts definitely encouraged me to stay with Big Red.

I emailed him the next day after playing with my friend's Droid X and reported that I was interested. When he finally got around to calling me back, another rep called and when I inquired about this deal the previous agent offered him, she spoke with her supervisor/manager and told me the offer was no longer valid. I said I wasn't interested and I figured on switching to Sprint. I was cordial and professional throughout this entire misadventure and just decided that if Big Red didn't want to offer a $75 discount for extending my contract another 24 months, at 80/month, then I could take my money elsewhere. I didn't want to argue or anything, just wanted this to go away. I must admit, it left a bad taste in my mouth towards Verizon. I think this kind of thing would just as easily happen to me at Sprint, but maybe a change isn't a bad thing, after all. I've had Big Red ever since I've owned a cellular phone and I should probably try something else. I'll switch back if Sprint is so terrible, but in Denver, where I live, Sprint has the 2nd best service, so I'm game...plus WIMAX is already active. I think that my family and my own service plans probably only amount to $300.00 per month, which over 24 months is $7200.00 in gross revenue for them, so I understand their decision not to help me out in this circumstance and I've only owned a cellular phone for 6 years, all with them, so I haven't exactly been a longterm customer.

Either way, I'm sure this experience probably doesn't belong on this forum. I will say that current CLND is better because it doesn't have a defective OS loaded into it, so I'm willing to settle. The slider is so loose that it literally flies open when I take it out of its holster. I've had to settle on this machine because I've seen how bad it COULD get and I'll stick with this one. 6th refurbed unit is where I stop. Thanks for explaining everything to me.

One of the things I despise most is hearing inconsistent verbiage recited to Verizon clients... This tells me two things went wrong: First, the first person you spoke with got lazy and did not remark your account with the offer extended to you; Secondly, if the offer was limited, you should gave been informed as such. Its a Verizon internal policy called CCD, or Clear Customer Disclosure. Any time an offer or change is made, the rep HAS to tell you the terms clearly. Your CLNR was one of those... Did they recite a bunch of terms to you when ordering the CLNR? The old device must be sent back in X amount of days or they charge you full retail for the CLNR, etc etc... They should have. Its CCD.

Sent from my SCH-I400 Continuum

qkpony

Reaction score
I am on my 3 rd Droid 1 headphone Jack on all of them my 3 rd one is having same problem I want to smash it on the ground. And it is out of warranty.

nwilkins15

Reaction score
Its really just problems with faulty refurbs. Ive had to had mine replaced once since i got it. However, in that it require four exchanges before i received a fully functioning droid that had no major defects. I guess its just luck of the draw.

bonfilio

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd droid.. so far so good. On the first (about 10 months in), the camera button started spewing random characters when pressed.