5th droid now are they the rubbish that i'm thinking they are?

onsht1kll

Reaction score
I'm pretty PO'd at this point. Thursday night my first Droid 1 that i've had since Feb, had a pretty common power button issue. You all know the one, where it gets stuck down. Took it to Verizon and they happily replaced it with a refurb. Ten minutes out of the store I find that sliding the keyboard in and out blacks out the screen, took it back. The second refurb seemed to be working fine, but after a few hours of use I that it won't read the sd card anymore. So I'm going BACK to Verizon to get a replacement. This time I am NOT leaving the store without a new Droid 1 or a better phone!!

You'd be better off calling customer service .. they have more power to get you into a different device then the stores do

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

onsht1kll

Reaction score
I dropped my Droid about 12 inches dashboard to center console and it wouldn't turn on..... lol went to Verizon said they will send me a refurbished I will get on Tuesday cause this happened on a Friday... I told them to F them selves literally thought the guys eyes were goin to bug out of his head.. Motorola offers a 1 year warranty.. for there "defects" I told them I don't Want another phone that was fixed from another defect..... at that point I started getting loud and I mean real loud got the speech of paying full price for the phone. I told them to call the cause I am NT leaving till I get a new phone... bottom line I walked out with a brand new Droid and free jawbone :)

Sent from my etcha-sketch

Wow You dropped your phone and you freaked out at the people at the store? I would have thrown you out of the store .. dropping your phone isn't a defect

Codiusprie

Reaction score
This seems like the new place to talk about broken Droids and getting Refurb units and such.

I got my Droid in March and it has been chugging along just fine. A few little issues here and there but nothing that was big enough for me to take it in and get a crappy refurb unit. Well last week my phone stopped charging reliably. I will plug it in and the light will come on but when I wake up the next morning it is at 80 percent, sometimes I will plug it in and it won't charge at all.

Here are my questions. It seems that people are still getting refurb Droids, has the quality gotten any better on those? I really really don't want a refurb unit since it seems like they do the bare minimum to get them running then send them out. Ideally I would like a new Droid but I would rather have a Droid 2 (gross) over a refurb Droid. Do I have any kind of leverage as far as getting a new D2 (I know new Droids do not exist any longer)? I am seriously dreading getting a refurb unit.

adt584

Reaction score
I am having a Completly diffrent experiance.. My Droid one is having signal problems... Im in my own calling area... one min it reads full signal 3G... next I go to dial a number and hit send and reads No service... I am now on my 2nd droid 1... but Verizon enter a ticket to have the area checked for tower issues... not sure but if it isn't fixed soon I'm guna be *****ing

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Wow I sure found the right thread here! :) I've had a Droid 1 for about a year. In that time I've had three warranty replacements (if I recall correctly) and one insurance replacement because I got caught in a severe rainstorm and couldn't protect the phone from the water.

The defects I had in the phone were varied. The first one was before the first software update, I had major issues with the Android keyboard. I had the same issues with the replacement and these went away with the first update.

I've had so many issues with the phone I can't recall what the other replacements were for. I had a bad proximity sensor in one and my screen blacked out on phone calls and I was not able to disconnect without pulling the battery. I have had all of my texts completely dissappear numerous times with the Droid 1, most recently, today. I've had phone calls come in but the phone never made a sound and over the past few weeks there have been odd "authentication failures" such as on gmail, yet I am still logged into gmail and getting my messages. I also have a severe home screen icon lag issue - where when I return to the home screen the icons don't populate, I just see the wallpaper. Sometimes they show up (delayed) and sometimes I have to go to the left or right screens then go back to get them to show up.

Anyway, my dilemma is this: Verizon asked I do a hard reset on my phone and see if that helps (it's the next step I need to take after several the past few weeks that have not helped). After that it sounds like they would like to send me another replacement... I am not sure I want another Droid 1! This has been so frustrating. I do take care of my phones, I am not a really heavy phone user, I don't try to root it or do any upgrades that the phone doesn't prompt me to do. I installed very few apps, all were highly rated and I did one at a time with time in between to ensure no issues. I had to uninstall one or two over time because it froze up the phone but it was obvious what was causing problems.

I asked this question elsewhere...is the Droid 2 or X any better? At this point I would be willing to get into a new 2 year agreement and pay that normal device price, but they won't even offer me that...they are saying it's $500 retail or something along those lines. I am willing to pursue it with Verizon if I hear that the 2 or X is better than what I have been experiencing. If not, I will have to find another phone entirely.

And...ironically...I have a really sweet deal through work where I could get an AT&T iPhone for comapny rates (in a huge group) but I don't because of the Verizon network and what I thought was good customer service. But I feel like there is something wrong here when a device has these kind of issues yet they keep giving me the same device as a replacement. Which I guess is the point of this thread.

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Haha I just looked through some of my prior posts...other issues included incorrect low battery indicator. The phone would go from 60% to like 10% and act like it had no juice left but if I shut it off and turned it back on, it would be back at 60% again. So even though the battery was really okay the phone thought it wasn't. Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal but the phone actually acted like the charge was gone and might go dead during a phone call thinking it was drained but it wasn't.

Also, one model had vastly inferior signal reception, it was awful.

I can see I have lost all of my texts repeatedly over the past year...ugh!

Also. one phone randomly rebooted. Like I was doing basic stuff nowhere near the power button and the phone shut down and turned back on again.

I'll admit this model seems a tad less buggy than previous but I am upset at losing all of my texts with zero warning. And that my icons don't always repopulate.

dustybutts

Reaction score
My Droid has been OK (bought it in Feb) but lately it has been taking a LONG time to dial a phone number. Anyone with a X or 2 notice any problems after a year or so?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Never had any problems. With my droid, I still have it as a backup phone. It runs faster than the day I got it. See my sig.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

COBug

Reaction score
Yup, the final straw

So, it's been 13 months since I first got my droid. My headphone jack broke one month into my phone. A smartphone noob, I dealt with it for 7 months, my ipod nano broke, then read that I could just get a refurb unit and that it would definitely be a warranty exchange. I've gone through 6 different replacements, the last one clearly did not have a good OS on it. I finally rooted and overclocked my last phone and decreed that I would never get another replacement. I got this verizon rep who recognized that I was going to move my entire family to Sprint (best coverage where I live in Denver), which is 6 phones, and offered to give me 50% off of a new phone and a new contract (Another 2 years) allowing me to continue my services with Verizon. Yanked my chain for 3 weeks then called me to offer upgrade at full price. I reminded them about the extended offer. They told me it was no longer available. The rep was shocked when I stated I wasn't interested. If they had not made the offer, I would not be so angry, but because they tried to pull a bait-and-switch, I'm through with Big Red. Anybody have such experiences:mad:?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't get me started....I have been with Verizon since december of 07 and I am currently on my 16th phone. I have 2....yes 2 D2's sitting in their fed ex boxes waiting to be returned, I am using one now, and am execting one on Monday to replace this one. That will make 5 D2's in less than a month....7 if you count original and first replacement. 10 if you count all droid devices like my D1's....10 in a year.

My issue is the "certified like new" replacements....they are certified pos's that fail in the EXACT same place they failed initially when they were first returned....16 phones....about 3 years....

In fact the only difference between me and you is I am getting a new D2 at no cost no contract change....and no 4 day bs....they have overnighted everytime.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

en28so

Reaction score
I bought my droid in July, have dropped it like 7 times, got it a little wet once (it went crazy for 2 hours), but it still works fine. Go figure.

tbross319

Reaction score
another underlying issue here is software....as long as Verizon continues to layer their updates with their own crap (the droid does have less than most) there are going to be glitches. Also, the process of OTA updates with the size that droids are is minorly ridiculous. Depending on which server you're getting it from, the likelihood of some code going wrong in an 80 mB file is quite high..and its just a matter of time before the evolved bug shows itself in your phone (touch screen, wake/sleep, battery...)

COBug

Reaction score
another underlying issue here is software....as long as Verizon continues to layer their updates with their own crap (the droid does have less than most) there are going to be glitches. Also, the process of OTA updates with the size that droids are is minorly ridiculous. Depending on which server you're getting it from, the likelihood of some code going wrong in an 80 mB file is quite high..and its just a matter of time before the evolved bug shows itself in your phone (touch screen, wake/sleep, battery...)

Not to defend the creeps from Verizon, but they only ruined the fascinate and continuum with their Bing garbage. All the other devices were ruined by Motorola with their MotoBlur skin. I don't know how much you like HTC Sense, but basically, the motodroid1 is the only phone that actually had/has vanilla android.

As for the OTA updates, I've not heard of other providers who don't use them. I mean, the big difference is that they give the opportunity to update using the internet and downloading the update then applying it to your phone, but most regular users would probably wait for the OTA. As it relates to Big Red, if you just hang out at this forum, you could do the same thing, right? As long as someone actually locates the entire FRG83D and posts it.

I've heard that a huge number of users received a buggy version of FRG22D, according to the lying cheat of a verizon rep who offered me a 50% upgrade then conveniently forgot about it when I took the offer. Given those numbers, the actual FRG22D could have been corrupt at the source, in one of the servers, to have affected so many people. Then again, what do I know.

b_salgado

Reaction score
WOW! I have never heard so many complaints! I am glad that my experience is much different!
I switched from Alltel to VZW in March of this year. I had been running Alltel phones on VZW carrier for quite a while and our Moto Q9C's were not playing well with VZW's service. So, we went to the VZW store with our 5 phones and switched EVERYTHING. Now, please keep in mind.... we had VZW service many years ago. It was marginal in my area and they let me out of my contract with no fees because they couldn't fix the issue. I was EXTREMELY hesitant about going back to VZW. They even let me use a phone for a week to make sure it worked before I transferred the service. I was not under contract with ANYONE. I also tried an AT&T Iphone..... the phone was OK, but the service was TERRIBLE!
I got a Moto Droid, My wife and my son got the HTC Eris, my daughter and daughter in law got LG Chocolate touch's.
Everything went smoothly... other than the rep botching the details a bit.... easily fixed with a call to customer service.
Fast forward 1 month.... My son's Eris went nuts! I went to the store, they looked at the phone and did a factory reset. The phone was good for about 2 days and went nuts again. I called 611 and got tech support. They sent out a CLNR. This phone was terrible, I called them again and they sent another. This one seemed pretty good.... he ran the phone for a week and it went nuts again. Customer service eventually ended up sending 5 total CLNR phones. After the 5th phone in 2 months time, I called back and talked to tech support again. They were very sorry that this was happening. I told them that I understood their policy about replacements, but the Eris was just a bad phone. They offered a Droid2 immediately. I got it in 2 days and haven't had an issue since.
My wife still had the Eris. Hers was flawless until about 3 months into it. It had random glitches, but they were mostly user created. At the 3 month mark, it began to shut down by itself. I called tech support and they IMMEDIATELY sent me a HTC incredible. Again, no more issues.
My Moto Droid was still flawless. I subject this phone to a construction environment. Dust, shock, impact, ect. It has been one tough piece of hardware! My earpiece went out. I called VZW and they sent me out a CLNR. It has been completely flawless! It actually works better than my original Droid!
Now, I don't root, I do run a ton of apps, as does my son. Both my sons D2 and my wifes Dinc were CLNR products. ALL were in NEW condition. They received NEW backs and NEW batteries and chargers.
Call me lucky, but I have no issues with CLNR phones and if I did, they would send me anther. As long as the phone works, I don't care if it's refurbished or not. I have purchased refurbished Ipods, GPS units, Cameras, ect. I have NEVER had an issue with a refurbished unit. If it does fail, it has a warranty. CALL and speak with someone about your issue. Don't act like an idiot when you talk to them.... They didn't refurbish the device nor did they make the rules. They just work for that company and they have to follow the companies rules or they lose their job! CS has more options than the stores do. Above all..... BE NICE! You would be amazed at what can be accomplished if you speak to someone like they have 1/2 a brain. If you act like an idiot, they will usually shut you out. If you can't get anywhere with the CS you spoke with, CALL BACK... 99% of the time, you will get a different representative and they will give you a different answer. EVENTUALLY you will get what you want. If you are trying to CHEAT the system, you are most likely gonna get burnt though. JMHO.... it hasn't NOT worked for me yet.

azpilot

Reaction score
I purchased two Moto D1's on November 6, 2009 (day of release). My wife and I have both been using them for over a year now and have had zero issues with the phone hardware. (My phone came with a faulty SD card, but that's hardly the fault of the phone manufacturer).

I don't know you and don't want to pass judgment, but I must say based on a quick review of the facts (four phones?) I think you may want to change something about how you care for your electronics.

The truth is, I baby my stuff... But my wife does anything but. She's dropped her phone several times and will be replacing her protective cover (hint, hint) for the third time this week. But the phone - scratched and dinged as it may be - has not faulted in any way.

I stand by the manufacturing of the Motorola A855 device and think it's a well produced device.

Best of luck to you.

Got mine the same time, lasted 2 months and died, got the second one lasted a month and died, third one is a charm. I am the most anal about taking care of my electronics. Sorry, some of the phones Verizon puts out are crap! My wife got a CLNR phone it works but some things are flaky.

You got lucky, take it!! LOL