5gb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsell

Reaction score
Is the 5gb cap only for tethering or mobile use as-well?

OP
B

Bsell

Reaction score
The 5GB cap you are referring to does not apply to you if you have a smartphone.

Oh well ive seen people talking bout going over the 5gb cap, so i was just wondering. I don't wanna be charged :p

kennyg23

Reaction score
Is the 5gb cap only for tethering or mobile use as-well?

5 gb cap is only for the mifi and other broadband devices. Your phone comes with unlimited data which you can use however you please. If you sign up for verizon's tethering, you will have a 5gb cap on that. you can tether for free though and use your unlimited data with this program http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought it did apply to us.....I always understood it to be a "catch" to unlimited data plans

mjs31

Reaction score
I thought it did apply to us.....I always understood it to be a "catch" to unlimited data plans

Nope...one of the biggest myths on all phone/carrier forums. Does not apply to general smart phone use. By general I mean non tethering

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's confirmed...by me, a former VZW Rep.....no cap on smartphone data with VZW. Tethering would be a different story. Unlimited is unlimited.

Droids

Reaction score
It applies to mobile broadband cards, the PCMCIA cards or USB dongles you can plug into a laptop when you don't have wifi. Originally these cards/dongles did not have caps so people that have an older account with one of these are grandfathered in. New accounts using these will have caps. Technically phones with data plans are truly unlimited, but if you tether your phone to a laptop or otherwise go crazy running up a lot of bandwidth (much more than 5GB which would be hard to do) then Verizon may slap your hand.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
OP's answer has been given....we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.