5 Week Old S4 Screen Dies

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S4' started by RickCathey, Aug 8, 2013.

1. RickCathey

RickCathey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G4
    I was out of town last Saturday at a memorial service and thought I should put my S4 on vibrate so I un-holstered the beast and turned it down to vibrate. 10 minutes later I think I might get a picture or two but when I got my phone back out the screen was blank but I could hear that the phone was still working from the sounds made when touching the screen. Removed the battery and restarted. I could hear the sounds it makes when the phone boots up but still no screen.

After the memorial was over I went to a local Verizon store and was told there was a corporate store about 30 miles away if I wanted to go there and see if they would swap me out. I was leaving to go back home in time to be back before my local store closed (where I got the phone initially) so I just planned on stopping by there. The guys at the store acted like this was the first time they had seen this before in a 5 week old unit.

I owned a Galaxy Nexus before I upgraded to the S4 and had a battery issue after about 2 months of ownership. I went to the store and they swapped me one out right there on the spot. Well apparently Verizon doesn't do this anymore as I was told a replacement would be sent overnight and I should have it by Tuesday. So Tuesday came and I got what I expected to see in the box - yep a good old refurb unit. Personally I think that this was a crock since my phone was just 5 weeks old and it should have been replaced with a new one from the store but I guess we have no choice other than play by Big Red's rules..:angry:

I hope this isn't a sign of what to expect from it over the next 2 years.

2. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    Some people have all the luck;)

Even if it's bad;)

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    First, let me say I'm sorry for your rotten luck.

Second, I'm glad to hear it's only been a week. I'm a firm believer in the "customer is their own best advocate" model -- kind of like those local news segments where you call/write in with your shopping horror story, then they call the merchant, scare the crap out of them, and make things right -- except why not cut out the news channel and just fix it yourself? Anyway, I'm here to encourage and inspire you to write a heartfelt letter to Verizon's corporate headquarters, calmly explaining the situation and telling them (1) how long you've been a customer, (2) how many lines you have and/or what your annual phone bill looks like, and (3) how you are not satisfied with the solution the corporate store offered you. VZW has great customer service and I bet they'll work with you on it!

-Matt

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Dear @RickCathey , as much as it pains me to say this, the policy for Verizon as regards to replacements is that any device which fails under normal use and with no obvious signs of abuse such as water damage or impact, will be replaced with a brand new device of the same or higher model within 14 days of purchase.

For any device that fails after the 14-day "Worry Free Guarantee", it is at the discretion of the carrier whether to replace with a brand new device or a "Certified Like New Replacement" (CLNR or refurbished), unit. Now, whether what you got was in fact a CLNR or simply a generic packaged brand new unit would be determined by the packaging and any label(s) attached. In fact, for a brand new device, one that's only been on the market for a few weeks or so, there may not even be any CLNR devices ready to ship so in that case the carrier/manufacturer may supply a brand new, out of the packaging phone, which other than missing perhaps the back cover, battery, and/or Removeable SD card, is essentially brand new.

I did have a Droid Turbo that was faulty and it was replaced with a brand new one, but it came in the standard shipping box from Verizon and no other packaging, though it was clearly identified as a brand new replacement.

5. Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008 Active Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung GS5
    Back when I was with VZW, I had to replace a phone that I had for a very short time. They wanted to give me a refurb and told them no way. I paid for a new phone and that's what I wanted in exchange. After going through three levels of bureaucratic BS, and threatening to go with another carrier, I finally got to a manager who agreed to send me a new one. It's not easy but you can't give up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Correct, and that's what I meant by "it is at the discretion of the carrier ". They can send a new phone out even well beyond the 14 day period, however they don't have to.

7. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Try not to get caught up in the whole brand new vs CLNR debate. I can assure you that the majority of the time that "refurb" you will receive (especially if it's from Verizon/Asurian or Samsung directly) will be just as good, if not better than a brand new device. The fact is, return devices have been checked and double checked to make sure they are running perfectly, whereas a brand new device is not, aside from quality control at the factory. (Obviously we know how that works out) Between the 2 of us, with three different model Galaxy S devices, we've had 5 refurbs over the course of 6 years and every one of them has ran and looked brand new. (Not to mention your warranty will be the same regardless) I've only known of one person complain about a refurbished device since the original Galaxy S was released. (And he replaced his device literally 17 times.....so he had the worse luck ever....) Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's extremely rare. Just because you get one of these devices over a brand new one doesn't mean it's going to arrive all scratched up like you'll be able to tell someone owned it before you....this simply isn't the case.
    If by chance you do receive your replacement and it doesn't look or run like it's brand new, they will replace it.
    Point is, to think that somehow a replacement has to be "brand new" never touched or it's no good it's ludicrous.
    But that's just my 2 cents so YMMV. my experience has been with Samsung only.

S5 tap'n

#7 cr6, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    It appears someone pulled my pics, perhaps because they were marginally offensive, however that was not the intent. I will apologize to the thread here, for perhaps a moment of indiscretion. Neither one was worse than PG, however that's someone else's opinion. At least one of those pics is a real advertisement for the BMW.

I posted them both to be funny and to kind of drive home a point, however it seems that they were a bit over the top. The point was that in many other situations in our lives we take on items (or people otherwise), which have been, shall we say, "pre-owned". My truck for instance was a 2010 and I bought December of 2012. It was a fantastic deal and I'm far less in debt with it than I would have been with a new one.

In the case of a pre-owned, or more specifically int his case, Certified Like New Replacement, @cr6 really did hit the nail on the head, although both @gadgetrants & @Bluesman2008 are also correct. I know Verizon to be willing to make things right and in some cases they are easy to sway, where in other cases you really need to stand your ground. In 21 years with Verizon, carrying the same 3 phone numbers, they've always eventuallly made good in my situations and I can say with great confidence that I wouldn't have gotten the same concessions from other carriers in similar situations, of that I'm sure.

Search tags for this page

how do i go back to old homescreen on s4

s4 screen not working