1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

5 Questions: 2.0.1 ROM to 2.1 ROM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by loop4zil, Feb 28, 2010.

1. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

1) Do I use the 'Nandroid method' to do this?

assuming the answer to 1) is : YES!

2) Should I back up apps and other data files such as pics and vids on a PC?..guessing that Factory Reset wipes the SD card clean.

assuming the answer to 2) is : YES!

3)To reinstall backed up APKs do I just stick em in a /sdcard/backups/apps and let newly reinstalled ASTRO works its magic?

4)Do the the 2.1 ROMS run the 2.1 launcher and LWPs or is it still a situation of one or the other

5)Do the 2.1 ROMS run the 2.1 Launcher better than the 2.0.1 ROMS

ok so it is actually 6 questions...

6)Anyone have thoughts on the Pete's BB 2.1 v.05? Good bad indifferent?
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Yes, you have to use nandroid.Pete's bugless beast .5 is all I've used so far, but I had to do a full factory reset/wipe going from 2.0.1 to 2.1.

As for backing up, anything on the sdcard will remain. I simply used astro file manager's backup utility for my apps. Menu>tools>backup>check box on top right to select all>click backup. Once that's done and you've installed the Rom, redownload astro, navigate to the backups/apps folder and reinstall them in much the same way.

Pete doesn't use the 2.1 launcher. He uses a modified version of Launcher+ ( by the dev of home++). I've seen a few other 2.1 roms that don't use the 2.1 launcher as well. Its too buggy is the general consensus.

As I said, I've ONLY used Pete's 2.1 boboka.5 rom (I rooted to be a part of the beta). Given that I was unsure about rooting and figured I might return to stock, but now have NO intention to do so, I'd say it's pretty great. No MAJOR issues and I've been using it since before he officially published it.

I also grabbed his modified smoked glass theme and have metamorphed parts of others on top.

I'm using Chevy's 1.2ghz kernal to overclock.

Google bugless beast .5 to find ALL that I've mentioned her pertaining to the rom, kernal, and base theme.
  3. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

Excellent....Thanks for the thorough response!
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

No problem! I made sure I understood exactly wtf I was doing and why while installing all of this and had a friend to answer any of y questions via Google talk while I was doing it and was rom shopping today to see if there was another one I wanted to try. Lol. Decided to stick with bb at least for now. Totally loving it and Nothin else seemed to offer anything better. As well, only ever heard good things about bb and Pete even pointed me towards DroidMod's DMupdater for the initial rooting process. That was ridiculously easy!

Best of luck, and I'm sure there are plenty others with more knowledge around here if you come up with some trickier questions! Be sure to created a restore point of what you have now in case of issues (If you didn't already know)!