5.9.905, anyone? Pulled from Cheesecake server for your pleasure!

zanshin825

Reaction score
Hi, guys. Before I throw my phone through a window, can someone tell me how to load the .905 file? I've put it onto my SD card, and I've tried to boot into recovery, but I don't have any options to find the file to update it. I searched for an answer, but couldn't come up with the right answer, apparently.

Any help is appreciated.

zanshin825

Reaction score
Nevermind. Figured it out by trial and error. Since I'm going to throw it against the wall anyway, I figure why not mess around with it ;-).

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Before I throw my phone through a window, can someone tell me how to load the .905 file? I've put it onto my SD card, and I've tried to boot into recovery, but I don't have any options to find the file to update it. I searched for an answer, but couldn't come up with the right answer, apparently.

Any help is appreciated.

Nevermind. Figured it out by trial and error. Since I'm going to throw it against the wall anyway, I figure why not mess around with it ;-).

Good for you. If you're unsure about how to install a new update, here's what I did when I installed .901 and .902. I'm waiting for the OTA on this one. One important thing to note; the update file name will be where it's coming from (in this case .902), not what it's going to be. In other words, if you're on .904, a file named .902 won't work.

1. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
2. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
3. Power phone down
4. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
5. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
6. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
7. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
8. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
9. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (about 6 minutes)

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted is about 10 minutes. Of that, 3 minutes will be the phone extracting the files (Step 8) and 6 minutes for the install itself (Step 9). A long time to stare at your phone, I admit.

Last edited:

johnlgalt

Reaction score
I've had major issues with my 4G dropping and never coming back. Yesterday, I was on 3G only for the better part of an hour in a VZW store where every 4G device on display was on 4G.

I'm having fits with both .904 and .905 and the handoffs, but either is still better than .902.

After having posted that, for the last two days my connections have been rock solid, as have handoffs... Smh

Sent from my rooted .904 BIONIC running CM9 Nightlies via Tapatalk 2

spinwizard

Reaction score
I've gone thru every post and no one has mentioned this problem, so here it is. I have the .905 rooted via motofail. loaded Rom Manager and it's Pro key. I can't seem to get into clockworkmod. I have version 5.0.2.5 installed from Rom Manager (for Bionic) and everytime I click to go into recovery, it reboots. Please help a frustrated flashaholic move on to bigger and better things. btw Thanks Dave12308 for sharing. otherwise everyting seems to be just fine.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
I've gone thru every post and no one has mentioned this problem, so here it is. I have the .905 rooted via motofail. loaded Rom Manager and it's Pro key. I can't seem to get into clockworkmod. I have version 5.0.2.5 installed from Rom Manager (for Bionic) and everytime I click to go into recovery, it reboots. Please help a frustrated flashaholic move on to bigger and better things. btw Thanks Dave12308 for sharing. otherwise everyting seems to be just fine.
You need to bootstrap first.

bgs_piece

Reaction score
Since 5.9.904 was released to some testers, wouldn't you think it would be possible to go to 905 straight from 904? Or at least a way to go from 904 straight to the official OTA once it is announced?

CBMGGM

Reaction score
You have to be on the last known official build from VZW for any update to work; leaked or OTA. In this case 902 stock & all apps unfrozen.

Tonik

Reaction score
Since 5.9.904 was released to some testers, wouldn't you think it would be possible to go to 905 straight from 904? Or at least a way to go from 904 straight to the official OTA once it is announced?

There has not been any public testing of 904. Only Moto/VZ's internal testers. Moto goes with the assumption that their public updates will be applied to the current released public version. Otherwise they would have to make mulitple updates for people on 902 and on 904. And then figure out who has which one. That would make the updates much larger, more complicated and more prone to failure.

hkklife

Reaction score
Well, I've had 905 on my DB for about a week now and I've definitely noticed improved battery life from 904. My phone still seems more prone to dropping back to 3G in fringe areas as compared to 902, however (just like 904). I'm easily getting the battery life I enjoyed on 902.

I think it's slightly smoother to unlock and swipe through the menus but I still get quite a bit of sluggishness on occasion for no apparent reason. One small thing I've noticed is that the camera app seems a bit faster to snap multiple shots if it doesn't have to use the flash or refocus. It's still horribly slow when trying to focus and might even be slower in some situations. I can also back up the comments here about GPS taking longer to establish a lock. I use mine several times per week for navigation and I used to have a solid lock by the time I made the turn out of my street after leaving home. Now I am two or three streets further down the road by the time I get a successful lock. It's not Samsung-level bad but it's annoying compared to the rock solid Bionic navigation performance I had previously (about on par with my old DX2 if that give any perspective).

Maddog241

Reaction score
Well, I've had 905 on my DB for about a week now and I've definitely noticed improved battery life from 904. My phone still seems more prone to dropping back to 3G in fringe areas as compared to 902, however (just like 904). I'm easily getting the battery life I enjoyed on 902.

I think it's slightly smoother to unlock and swipe through the menus but I still get quite a bit of sluggishness on occasion for no apparent reason. One small thing I've noticed is that the camera app seems a bit faster to snap multiple shots if it doesn't have to use the flash or refocus. It's still horribly slow when trying to focus and might even be slower in some situations. I can also back up the comments here about GPS taking longer to establish a lock. I use mine several times per week for navigation and I used to have a solid lock by the time I made the turn out of my street after leaving home. Now I am two or three streets further down the road by the time I get a successful lock. It's not Samsung-level bad but it's annoying compared to the rock solid Bionic navigation performance I had previously (about on par with my old DX2 if that give any perspective).

My GPS on 905 is almost instant and is spot on every time I test it. I have all 3 GPS sources enabled.

Sadahiro

Reaction score
What would happen if I decided to be a bawse and flash the .905 over the .904? Would I brick after the script is being run?