5.9.905, anyone? Pulled from Cheesecake server for your pleasure!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
the 905 update isnt loading up in my sd card

i can see it thru my computer but once im in the recovery menu its nonexistant

Is it on the SD card or the SD-EXT card? It has to be in the root of the SD-EXT card.

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Is it on the SD card or the SD-EXT card? It has to be in the root of the SD-EXT card.
I'm having the same issue. What is meant by SD card or SD-EXT card? Or perhaps what is meant by the root of the card? I placed it in the same folder as my other zips but it didn't show up for me

Last edited:
OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. What is meant by SD card or SD-EXT card? Or perhaps what is meant by the root of the card? I placed it in the same folder as my other zips but it didn't show up for me

Motorola decided to name the mount point for the internal app memory /sdcard

The actual sdcard is mounted as /sd-ext

So /sdcard means Internal Device Memory, /sd-ext means the actual sd card itself.

Confusing, isn't it?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola decided to name the mount point for the internal app memory /sdcard

The actual sdcard is mounted as /sd-ext

So /sdcard means Internal Device Memory, /sd-ext means the actual sd card itself.

Confusing, isn't it?

When I connect my Bionic to my PC (Windows 7) the internal card says "MOT" while the external card (SD-EXT) says "Removable Disk." At least it did until I changed from the 16GB card and replaced it with a 32GB card. I let the phone format it. Now both drives show up as "MOT." Fortunately it's easy to figure out which is which. Now if you're using a file manager app like Astro, it says /sdcard and /sdcard-ext, but if you're using the native File Manager (called "Files"), it says "Internal phone storage" and "SD card." Yes, extremely confusing.

And for those who haven't done this before, this is what I did to go to .902 (I'm going to wait for the OTA on .905, no real reason, just willing to wait). Be sure that "USB Debugging" is enabled.

1. Plug phone into computer.
2. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
3. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
4. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
5. Power phone down
6. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
7. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (about 6 minutes)

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted takes about 10 minutes. Of that, 3 minutes will be the phone extracting the files (Step 10) and 6 minutes for the install itself (Step 11). A long time to stare at your phone, I admit.

Last edited:

bamafan39

Reaction score
about a week ago i accidently formatted my sd card i now have it built back up but when i plug my phone into my computer the "mot" window opens normally but the sd ext window opens as auto play and i have to open the window manualy.anyone know why?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
about a week ago i accidently formatted my sd card i now have it built back up but when i plug my phone into my computer the "mot" window opens normally but the sd ext window opens as auto play and i have to open the window manualy.anyone know why?

What did the formatting; your computer or the phone?

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
5.9.905 OTA push should be underway. Data issues were related to VZW issues and not the new firmware. Push will go on over the next week. Should also be available via pull already, if not very shortly.