5.9.901 and checking for updates

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like others I did a manual update to 5.9.901. Today I tried to check for updates (no reason, just tried) and got the "Unable to check for updates at this time" message. This is the first time I checked since I installed .901.

Normally that only occures for me when I have no data, but when I do it says it's up to date. Not this time, in fact, the "Unable to check" message came up immediately, It didn't even try to check.

On a hunch, I powered down and removed the sim card. Then I powered back up without the card. Finally I powered down, replaced the card and powered up. This time I got the "Up To Date" message.

Did anyone else have that happen to them?

My351

Reaction score
I have been getting the unable to check message for two days now myself. Have done the sim card trick multiple times, as most times I have to to get any signal back after leaving 4G, and still the same thing. At least up until about ten minutes ago when I started catching up with things here on the boards. I'm sure it hasn't changed though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

azdrifter

Reaction score
I would just be patient because I'm sure that when someone gets the .902 update we will find it in the forums and be able to do a manual update at that time.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
True, but if the ability to check for updates was compromised by .901, then this is what I did. I didn't expect to see .902, but I did expect to see the "Phone is up to date" message.

The only time (prior to when I installed .901) was went I had no data. I was on solid 4G when I checked, plus it said I was "Up to Date" immediately after I removed the sim card.

What I'm basically saying that manually installing .901 may cause a problem with checking for updates and wondered if it happened to others.

striker85

Reaction score
Im on 901 and this is what i get when checking for updates.

uploadfromtaptalk1327028041352.jpg

Tonik

Reaction score
Try settings battery and data then data delivery then social applications and uncheck sync over Wifi only.

azdrifter

Reaction score
True, but if the ability to check for updates was compromised by .901, then this is what I did. I didn't expect to see .902, but I did expect to see the "Phone is up to date" message.

The only time (prior to when I installed .901) was went I had no data. I was on solid 4G when I checked, plus it said I was "Up to Date" immediately after I removed the sim card.

What I'm basically saying that manually installing .901 may cause a problem with checking for updates and wondered if it happened to others.
Yeah I have wondered that myself I was also curious about if any one has actually received the update and if so is it worth updating to because the Change Log does not seem to be attractive to me,personal opinion of course.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try settings battery and data then data delivery then social applications and uncheck sync over Wifi only.

It's always been unchecked.

ripper2860

Reaction score
I usually get that same error when checking over the data network, but get the Up to Date message over WiFi. Got the same with 5.5.893 and 5.5.886, though so it's not related to .901. I eventually just installed 5.5.893 and .901 via SD card / Stock Recovery. Some have reported that a factory reset will clear the error when checking for updates.

bbtkd

Reaction score
What we need is an app that continuously checks to see if there is an update, and when there is it will set off a siren. Of course you'll need to leave it plugged in....

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im on 901 and this is what i get when checking for updates.

View attachment 46139

It must've been a coincidence then. It was that before .901 it generally took a second or so to respond like it was trying and after it was immediate until after I pulled the sim card.

What we need is an app that continuously checks to see if there is an update, and when there is it will set off a siren. Of course you'll need to leave it plugged in....

Well, updates can load in the background so when you bring it up you'll get a nice surprise.

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who is more knowledgeable than myself.. I manually updated the 5.7 leak. I have never gotten an OTA on my bionic since i've had it at launch.. does this mean i am off the upgrade path or will i still b able to receive OTA's? I always jus get the up to date message. I would just feel better if i received one..