5.7.893 radio/kernel

dstreng

Reaction score
if anyone can find the .999 file please send it my way. im still on 5.5.893 so i wanna try out this method.

thejacked1

Reaction score
I don't have anything of importance to add to this thread aside from setting something straight:

First, I need to say ....

If you look back at the original Droid, it wasn't long before non-official updates started coming out with new kernels and radios already baked into custom ROMs. Once you flashed one of those, there was never a need to go back to stock - because there was ALWAYS something newer and faster that was getting ready to come out the next week, and if you look in the original Droid forum subsection, you'll see that this is STILL the case, even though the hardware has long since been surpassed by the abilities of the software they're putting on it.

Psychlone

So maybe I got this wrong then?? I was under the impression that a kernel, or radio, could NOT be baked into any ROM as long as the bootloader is locked?? Because of this, devs CAN include new software (to support the radio/kernel update) in any newer ROM...but not the actual kernel. Soooo a user WOULD have to revert back to stock, to receive the update, to get that kernel or radio. I could be wrong though, I was once before.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

thejacked1

Reaction score
And.....the way I see it, I owe vzw d!kc. I feel NO remorse in saying I'm only a cpo away from any update....regardless of what I'm running right now ;-)

Psychlone

Reaction score
So maybe I got this wrong then?? I was under the impression that a kernel, or radio, could NOT be baked into any ROM as long as the bootloader is locked?? Because of this, devs CAN include new software (to support the radio/kernel update) in any newer ROM...but not the actual kernel. Soooo a user WOULD have to revert back to stock, to receive the update, to get that kernel or radio. I could be wrong though, I was once before.

No, you've got it right - as long as the bootloader is locked down - AND our devs haven't figured out a workaround/bypass, then we're stuck with whatever kernels and radios are available.
But, on the old D1, it didn't take too long for it all to be bypassed and for the devs to follow, baking-in their own kernels in their custom ROMs.

Granted, the Bionic has been out for a bit now, but it's still WAAAAY to early to be complaining about a lack of updates... the D1 didn't get them for several months after it's release, and this isn't going to be different just because it *was* their new flagship.

I probably should say that I'm personally in no rush because I'm one of the "lucky ones" that doesn't have any issues - from stock up then back to stock, I've not experienced anything that most of you have complained about with the exception of the speaker jack noise. I updated to ReBlurred until 2.0 came out and then stopped because I had inside info that the new OTA was going to be coming out for a soak test soon, so with a complete revert back to bloated/stock, I'm in line for the update via soak (which I signed up for).

But all things being equal, it doesn't really matter - either way, we're ALL going to be getting the update. I know for certain that at least one dev will conquer whatever obstacles the new OTA brings and will release it to the modding masses.

For those that are upset about their device not working properly, I feel for you - I really do, but you also need to know that you're not complaining in the right places. Moto has their own channels that need to be polled for them to even be aware of problems. Not saying that you shouldn't post up your problems and potential fixes, but to go over and over like some of the threads in this forum have is really putting a damper on the real advice in areas that CAN be fixed. Motorola doesn't visit third-party forums, they have their own channels for that.

Anyone that's really upset about their circumstances - I suggest jumping ship and finding something else that works for you. But pay attention to what you're jumping ship to - the Razr isn't without it's problems, and neither is the S2.

Good luck guys!
Psychlone

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
Yes.we know what we did and are responsible for it. The diff here from the OG which I had of course is the locked bootloader. Not being able to update the kernel say if ICS officially comes to the bionic would be disappointing. That is all. I have every intention of using custom roms. For ICS there are changes to the kernel that we would greatly benefit from to get the full on experience. That is why I am searching for a way back and is the only reason. Being doubtful the bootloader will ever be unlocked outside of some other leak there is only so much one can do with custom roms.

Anyways this thread is different from the usual "get.me back to stock" fears because of the crappy bootloader situation. I know devs will have roms with all the latest software updates. I myself knew of this but wasnt thinking when I applied the leaked update and foolishly thought it was the final official one. There are.many that are looking for a solution for this so I dint see this as a wasted thread.

318Droid

Reaction score
Well wish me luck hopefully I can get the file from these guys at Verizon. On my way there now

318Droid

Reaction score
Ok i went in and talked to my buddy Jon...He said that they have this flashing computer in the back and that it does more to the phone than what a factory reset would do...BUT, he couldnt guarantee that the radio/kernal would be changed since he never actually paid attention to the radio/kernal before or after that process. This was my lunch break and I didnt have much time so I didnt get it did since he said it would take virtually 20 mins or so to do the process. He would have to put the phone to it boot img or something (recovery basically) for the process to work....I told him i didnt have that kind of time because of my lunch so I told him that i would be back later...But while i was in there i took a pic of a store bionic "about phone" page and this is what i get below. Will post picture on my next 15 min break here around 2.

System Version:
5.9.991.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Model number
Droid Bionic

Android version

Baseband version
CDMA_N_03.1C.50R ltedc_u_05.15.00

Webtop version
WT-1.3.0-105_DBN-1

Kernal Version
2.6.35.7-g790a33c
hpn683@il93lnxdroid29 #1

Build Number
5.5.1_84_DBN-91-LaunchKit

ERI version

PRL version

g2sws

Reaction score
Ok i went in and talked to my buddy Jon...He said that they have this flashing computer in the back and that it does more to the phone than what a factory reset would do...BUT, he couldnt guarantee that the radio/kernal would be changed since he never actually paid attention to the radio/kernal before or after that process. This was my lunch break and I didnt have much time so I didnt get it did since he said it would take virtually 20 mins or so to do the process. He would have to put the phone to it boot img or something (recovery basically) for the process to work....I told him i didnt have that kind of time because of my lunch so I told him that i would be back later...But while i was in there i took a pic of a store bionic "about phone" page and this is what i get below. Will post picture on my next 15 min break here around 2.

System Version:
5.9.991.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Model number
Droid Bionic

Android version

Baseband version
CDMA_N_03.1C.50R ltedc_u_05.15.00

Webtop version
WT-1.3.0-105_DBN-1

Kernal Version
2.6.35.7-g790a33c
hpn683@il93lnxdroid29 #1

Build Number
5.5.1_84_DBN-91-LaunchKit

ERI version

PRL version

With that said, I wonder if we can brick the phone and take it in and have it reflashed to get back on update path?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mlapaglia

Reaction score
With that said, I wonder if we can brick the phone and take it in and have it reflashed to get back on update path?

I tried this yesterday, soft bricked mine and took it in, the guy asked me if i had tried pulling the battery out, then offered to send me a replacement lol.

318Droid

Reaction score
Well why not just ask them instead if they would reflash it? But I will take mine back after work and see what happens after it gets reflashed. Hopefully their reflash computer does what we need it to do. If so, maybe you guys can tell me how to get this off my phone and into a .zip file.

Last edited:

g2sws

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 318. Keep us posted.

318Droid

Reaction score
In the meantime while im waiting on him to finish reflashing my phone, could sum1 post "about phone" stats for build 5.7.893? And also stock build if any1 has that. Btw, typing this from this little razr.

318Droid

Reaction score
Well I have my phone back and its just like it was when I gave it to him. He kept saying that the PC was constantly saying the phone was already up to date. But this is the Verizon up from my job. Im commuting back home and when I make it, I will try my Verizon store. But good news my buddy told me was, if it didnt update he would just give me another. But im not really worried because I kno the devs will come thru like always.