5.7.893 radio/kernel

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
I saw a post on xda about a rumored 999 update that *might* revert everything to stock including the kernel and might be what we need. Totally unconfirmed tho but wondering if anyone has any more info on this. Might be our key back to the official update path

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Hey guys, you need to flash radio.zip in the stock recovery. The reason it flashes is because it's SIGNED, so the boot loader is alright with it. if we could find a "kernel.zip" with the stock kernel signed by moto we would be in business, maybe this 999 update has it.

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
Yup - I just realized that and tried stock recovery and the radio.zip flash worked perfectly. I am now also restoring webtop using this method:

How to get your phone back on the upgrade path... The only thing that remains is the kernel as you we all know. I have private messaged a few users that claimed to have gotten the 999 update hoping they will post a link. I am also going to sbf back to stock and attempt to use cheesecake to find the 999 update myself. I will keep you posted if i find out any more and please do the same!

Here's to hoping we find that kernel.zip!

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Thanks dags. I'll throw in $25-$50 to someone if they can successfully get this 999 update to work, or whichever way to restore the kernel..

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
awesome - have you tried flashing it? i will now if you haven't yet. no clue what it will do :)

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
here goes nothing - about to flash it. hope doesnt brick my shiiiaaat :)

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
:( no dice. failed asserting the boot image. so i guess 999 is not a full restore afterall

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Ya if you open the zip up it's just a patch, not a full restore. Should have known from the filesize sigh.

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
hmm there's gotta be a way to get a full restore. need to keep digging i guess

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
another user claimed there was a 999 file for each build. so maybe this isn't the one we need? Maybe need to find the one explicitly for 5.7.893 . If this is true, I could the update back to 5.7.893 and then use the 999 to revert. doesnt soudn that promising to me, but you never know

mlapaglia

Reaction score
I suppose that would be how moto devs would get their phones back to stock for other tests... every 999 file patches the radio and kernel back to the stock..

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
yea not sure - im trying to see if there's another 999 file i can find. I am also reapplying the 5.7.893 leaked ota now to see if it still works. If it does, its odd that it doesnt fail on the kernel check. But if it does work, i will then retry the 999 file, maybe that will work. Otherwise, we need to somehow find the correct 999 file. this could be the completely wrong path, kind shooting in the dark at this point.

FYI - reappyling the 5.7.893 ota works without a hitch - it just passed the "patching boot image" part without any failure. Very odd to me that it works. Maybe this means when the real update comes out it won' care about the kernel as well. At this point tho again really not sure. I'll let you know what i find after this finishes, if the 999 update does anything

mlapaglia

Reaction score
It works because it sees the current kernel is what the update was going to apply, so it doesn't need to fix it. i wonder where the "radio.zip" file came from.. we need to find the "kernel.zip" to go with it lol.

OP
D

dags5000

Reaction score
good point - see if you can find the source of the radio.zip, maybe they have more info.
It works because it sees the current kernel is what the update was going to apply, so it doesn't need to fix it. i wonder where the "radio.zip" file came from.. we need to find the "kernel.zip" to go with it lol.