5/13 Update

BobJor

Reaction score
Hi, first post but I've been prowling the site for a few weeks learning what I could about rooting. I've got a question related to the potential OTA update on 5/13. I did an install of leaked GB verizon version 4.5.588 unrooted, THEN rooted using Gingerbreak. To this point, I have not deleted any "bloatware", have not flashed a new ROM, nothing like that - just added a couple of items like adfree and busybox, which I gave superuser permission to. My question is, when the official update does hit, will I need to sbf, or will a simple unroot and disabling/removing of "root required" aps allow me to run the update? If the former, will I need to do the sbf to 4.5.588 or the original 4.5.340 or whatever the previous update had been?

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide! Just trying to avoid any unnecessary hoop jumping...

Bob J.
No icon, no quote, no .gif, no nothing! :)

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
With past updates, being on a leaked release and then trying to get the OTA updates have sometimes caused problems. I don't know for sure if that'll happen this time, but if you have everything available and ready to do a SBF, just in case (and make sure your phone is close to fully charged), you'll probably be in a safer place. Or, if you hear on the 13th that the updates are going out, then maybe just SBF and download everything to a nice, fresh phone.

OP
B

BobJor

Reaction score
5/13

Thanks, sfreemanoh, I'll get ready to do that. Hopefully I can run TitaniumBackup, then do an SBF, then restore what I have...haven't tried that yet!