5.1 random reboots while using navigation

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by z96Cobra, Mar 18, 2011.

1. z96Cobra

z96Cobra Member

Has anyone else experienced random reboots while using navigation? Yesterday I had 2 different reboots on 2 different trips. Everything was running fine then my Droid rebooted without warning. The first time it happened I had a destination entered. The 2nd time I was just using the app without a destination/voice guidance. I also noticed that the view would sometimes switch from the 3D/following view to 2D/directly overhead view for about 1 second.

Roger
  2. griffon

griffon New Member

I've had something similar happen. In addition I was having problems getting the GPS to work at all. After a reboot (whether intentional or not) the GPS worked just fine. However if I shut off the GPS (say, when I reached my destination) when I tried to use it again it would never seem to activate. I'd turn on the GPS and try to go into either Maps or Navigation. The GPS icon would never appear on the toolbar and it would obviously never locate me. I used GPS Test to check what the GPS is actually seeing and even though it agreed that the GPS was on it would never show that I was receiving anything from the satellites. The only way to fix it was to reboot. After that it would work fine, once. Then I'd have the same problem. Anyone else seen this?
  3. Gazooo

Gazooo New Member

Same thing here, GPS cannot find me. Reboot clears it up.

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Did it overheat? Nav really hits the CPU hard - long enough and the droid will reboot itself ...
  5. ChevyNo1

That does seem to be an issue with 2.3.3 - if GPS gets shut off, only way to get it working again is a reboot ...
  6. z96Cobra

z96Cobra Member

The first time it happened overheating is possible but I don't remember feeling anything out of the ordinary when I re-entered my address. The 2nd time I don't think it had time to really get that hot. It rebooted just a few minutes after I started the app. FWIW, I did a full wipe before installing 5.01 but no wipe when flashing 5.1.

I've also had a couple of probs with losing 3G after a call. The icon is still there and I still have an IP address but I can't navigate to any websites. I remember seeing this in earlier builds but thought it was fixed. Maybe I just need to do a full wipe.
  7. ChevyNo1

There is the problem - no wipe coming from 5.01 - it has been mentioned across many threads now - 5.01 had an installer issue that could corrupt system data - you should wipe and reinstall manually (any restore of 5.01 data could bring the problem back ...)
  8. BUckeyemike84

BUckeyemike84 New Member

Try flashing a new chevyno1 kernel. I recommend 1-1.1 low v or 1-1.0 med v.
  9. NoValidTitle

NoValidTitle New Member

I was having this problem. My phone would reboot not long after starting to navigate. I'm using the 1.25GHZ low v kernel. I changed the max clock speed from 1.25 to 1.0 and that cleared the issue for me. YMMV
  10. ChevyNo1

Thanks for the feedback - folks must remember that 1.25 is pushing the limit - the reason I don't build a 1.3 kernel is my phone won't even stay running!