5.0.7.1 fluctuation between 1X and 3G

validoption

Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing this? I notice it occurring most often when waking up out of standby, but it will happen while using the device as well. This has been happening in areas (like my home) where it never before happened with 5.0.6.2.

My PRL is updated and my cell standby usage is not reporting any time without a signal, but it was at 7% battery usage after 20 minutes off the charger (which someone in IRC said was a bit on the high side). On occasion, after reboots, it will display the Time Without a Signal line, but it will be 0%.

I don't know if any of that info is helpful/relevant to what might be causing this, and I also cannot reliably reproduce it. It doesn't seem to follow a predictable pattern (two minutes ago, I woke the phone and let it sit until the screen slept [a one minute timer] and it was 3G the whole time. Then, I woke it up and let it sit, and it went into 1X thirty seconds before sleeping.) and sometimes internet-using programs (browser, FB, etc.) will try and run on 1X, and other times it will switch to 3G. It's weird.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes this is strange. Are you able to connect to a wifi network? It would be interesting to see if your connection stays and at what signal strength?

OP
validoption

validoption

Reaction score
Yes this is strange. Are you able to connect to a wifi network? It would be interesting to see if your connection stays and at what signal strength?

Yes, I can connect to my home wifi. It's a strong connection. The icon remains full and appropriately decreases as I begin to walk outside and away from my house, then increases as I come back towards my study (where the router is).

Also, for the cell radio, signal strength is between -83 & -88 dBm (no clue what that even means) regardless of 3G or 1X. Wait (doing this now!)...it's in 1X and just jumped from -83 to -116 and now back down to -87...all while sitting in the same place. Now it's back to 3G and -88...-87.

Weird.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a link 5.0.7.1; fluctuation between 1X and 3G - CyanogenMod Forum to the Cyanogen.mod site that is the exact issue you are experiencing. So, unless you posted on the other thread others are experiencing the same issue. My sense -- the new rom is the culprit.

Mike

Just reread the Cyanogen post. Apparently, you submitted. Sorry for the misread.

OP
validoption

validoption

Reaction score

Bateluer

Reaction score
Getting this a lot myself, several times now, my Cm 5.0.7 has completely lost its cell signal, not just 1X, gone completely. I reboot, it comes back, then drops randomly again.

I was thinking it was due to some new equipment at work, but its doing the same thing at home where I usually get good signal.

hookerdj

Reaction score
i will tell you this when i installed over 5062 it did the same thing. When i did a fresh install formatting my partitions it didnt do that actually it sat at peak top antenna and 3g . this is just what happened with me i am in no way saying thats your problem

Getting this a lot myself, several times now, my Cm 5.0.7 has completely lost its cell signal, not just 1X, gone completely. I reboot, it comes back, then drops randomly again.

I was thinking it was due to some new equipment at work, but its doing the same thing at home where I usually get good signal.

Bateluer

Reaction score
My initial install of 5.0.7 was a full wipe, I installed 5.0.71 over top 5.0.7 without a wipe last night and woke this morning with no signal. Hard to pinpoint because its so random. In places I'd previously been getting decent 3G, it will flip to periodic 1X and drop completely.

i will tell you this when i installed over 5062 it did the same thing. When i did a fresh install formatting my partitions it didnt do that actually it sat at peak top antenna and 3g . this is just what happened with me i am in no way saying thats your problem

LrdElderon

Reaction score
his signal reading is pretty weak. -120 i believe is like absolutely no signal just for reference. The fact that it's fluctuating like that reminds me of the issue I had where I had basically a 2 mile dead zone around my subdivision. Unless he has a bad radio I think the tower serving his area is out of alignment or something is wacky with it.

Have you traveled any distance from your house and seen if that made any difference? Just curious, some people work or go to school some distance away and that would put you on a new tower possibly. I've had zero issues myself with the rom so I don't know what to say. Either I'm lucky, or it's just your phone or I suspect it's a vzw tower issue though they won't admit it.

I'd try a reinstall one more time don't put an update over another just grab the full 5071 and wipe everything, data, cache, system, ... all of it. then install. If that doesn't work I don't know. Do you work some distance aways from your house? like 20-30 miles? You would have to travel far enough to jump to another tower if you want to see if that is the issue.

Last edited:

skurtz1313

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The problem you are describing I had on every ROM I tried since I updated the baseband. I rolled my baseband back, and everything cleared up for me. I then tried updating baseband and the problems came back. So I rolled it back again, and it has been working great.

cdel71

Reaction score
The problem you are describing I had on every ROM I tried since I updated the baseband. I rolled my baseband back, and everything cleared up for me. I then tried updating baseband and the problems came back. So I rolled it back again, and it has been working great.

How do you go back to your previous baseband?
Do you have a download link?
I'd like to go back myself, as my cell standby is 25% or more, and it's frustrating.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

Im not exactly sure what changes were made in the baseband update. It seems like it uses less power for the same connection strength for me. I've had no issues at all. The only places where I get worse than usual signals now seem to be at meijers in the store (within 4 miles of my house with towers giving good coverage) usually i'd get about half a full strength connection, now i get much lower and the data connection error retry... also seems to happen at the movie theater (about 3 miles from the house). Dunno maybe that is from the basdeband update, but normally It's just as strong as usual.

Do any of you having issues with bad connections on the new baseband have issues on the old one? I mean like you might have a good connection but you are still down a few bars normally? or done a speed check? I run 2mb/s up/down about most times. tower is pretty close though.

Perhaps email motorola for info on the baseband update. Prob won't do much good, but it might get them to look into it for the next update? but only a small handful seem to have these issues. most seem to be just fine. *shrugs*

LrdElderon

Reaction score

How do you go back to your previous baseband?
Do you have a download link?
I'd like to go back myself, as my cell standby is 25% or more, and it's frustrating.

The cell standby issue that some cm rom users had was fixed in 507 unless you used an old theme, and the baseband had nothing to do with it. at least the signal loss error / w high standby.

are you using any sort of theme when you are having these issues? if your theme is not made for your rom version of cm and it changes framework or any other spot that had changes you lose them... the standby fix among them, possibly.