4K Movies and Shows Now Available Through The Google Play!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

nexus2cee_Play_Movies_4k.width-500-329x584.png

As we all know "Video killed the radio star", Blockbuster killed the Box Office, Red Box killed Blockbuster, and Google Play kills them all! I can't remember the last time I rented a physical copy of a movie. Yes I still buy Blurays, but that is mostly so we can easily entertain the kids on long road trips. Now days if I want to rent a movie I simply launch the Google Play app on my TV and order whichever movie I am interested in. I have often thought how now that I have 4K TVs in the house it would be nice to be able to rent some 4K content since the only real consistent provider of 4K content has been Netflix.

Google has just launched 4K video options on the Play Store. UHD rentals will run you $7.99 which may be worth it depending on the video. Obviously a "Star Wars : Rogue One" rental would probably merit the enhanced video quality over a rental of "Madea's Christmas". UHD rentals and purchases are avaialable in the US and UK only for now. Also only 125 titles are currently available, but you can expect that number to quickly expand!

via Play Store

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Speak for yourself. I for one love the fact that I can see just how long ago Tyler Perry shaved his face to play Madea. :D:p

Briankbl

Reaction score
I used to be a store manager at Blockbuster. For the record, Redbox didn't kill Blockbuster. Netflix did.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
bitorrent has more 4k content then rest of the media outlets combined, just fyi.
each movie is about 20-50gb in size or approximately the size of a blu-ray 3d movie.
Pirates Can Now Rip 4K Content From Netflix and Amazon - TorrentFreak
now is the perfect time to invest in htpc server if you don't have one. 3tb drives are dime a dozen.

Argh...less work to just upgrade your Netflix package when you are in the mood for UHD video, then downgrade when you are content with FHD.